Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01   #31

Re: I tried to do a search on Algae-X but

hellosailor
Where did you find the virgins??
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Oooh, look, the sun went away! Let's sacrifice some virgins, that ALWAYS makes the sun come back. Don't bother anyone with astronomy and eclipses, let's just sacrifice some virgins, that PROVES it can bring the sun back.
In the modern world we don't sacrifice virgins rather send them over to my boat. I'll sort it out and get back to you all.

Send me your virgin and I'll post an answer.com...
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56   #33

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
hellosailor
Where did you find the virgins??
Just rub magnets on them. Instant virgin's. Lol
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I prefer experience (to a degree) over a virgin!

Being in water treatment and running into various magnet systems over the years I can say that sometimes in the right conditions they seem to work (at least kind of). But most times it turns into money for me to later setup a proper chemical treatment program.

There is probably a saying concerning things that sound too good to be true.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
By sv steadfast:
All the links on the website work well, I have visited them all.
Quote:
By DeepFrz:
Some time ago I tried to follow the links that the company provided and none of them lead to any information that would have substantiated their claims.
There is quite a difference in these two quotes. The links did not lead to ANY scientific evidence that these things do what the sellers say they do. Surely if they worked in any way shape or form to clean diesel fuel they could point to some sort of scientific evidence.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:32   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

hey the google ad link when I opened this thread was:

Buy Magnetic Bracelets

I've been kind of achy, what do you think I should do?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Take two ibuprofen and a hot bath.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There is quite a difference in these two quotes. The links did not lead to ANY scientific evidence that these things do what the sellers say they do. Surely if they worked in any way shape or form to clean diesel fuel they could point to some sort of scientific evidence.
People love miracles, and thus the durability of mythology.

On the other hand, we can point to evidence that maintaining very dry fuel and biocides both work.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18   #39

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

In the January, 1998 edition of the Federal Technology Report (DOE/EE-0162), the case for magnetic and/or electrostatic technologies is documented completely. The abstract, Non-Chemical Technologies for Scale and Hardness control, is there for anyone to read and digest. Current users of the technology are included in the abstract and include the US Government, the military, and many industries. User and third-party field field reports are referenced. Here’s the website: http://www.enecon.com/pdfs/Federal_T...ogy_Report.pdf

In March, 2001 Dynamic Testing (DTI), of Virginia, issued a report to the commander of the Naval Sea Systems Command, documenting the testing procedures and results of the Algae-X while being tested on a high performance diesel engine in use in the fleet at the time. That publication is the DTI Test Report No. 405. I just checked its availability on this website: www.algae-x.net/category/7-reports?download=12

You don’t have to trust the sources, but evidently, a lot of folks in the government, the military, and industry seem to, in this particular case.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:35   #40

It's a quiet morning here in San Diego, so I did a quick check on the web for more info for unbelievers:

Use of magnetic fields to increase algal growth for biofuels: Biodiesel Magazine | biodieselmagazine.com
Use of pulsed magnetic fields to kill algae: [Algal inactivation and removal by pulsed m... [Huan Jing Ke Xue. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI
“Magnetite and Magnetotaxis in Bacteria and Algae “ , undated report , MIT http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cg...ontext=phy_fac

There's quite a bit of supportive info out there, but then, who do you believe?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice try Roy. Your first link...
Quote:
U.S. Department of Energy requests that no alterations be
made without permission in any reproduction of this document.
The technology addressed in this Federal Technology Alert (FTA) uses a
magnetic or electrostatic field to alter the reaction between scale-forming ions in
hard water.
Your second link...
Quote:
Introduction
Magnetotactic bacteria that orient and swim along magnetic field line are found in freshwater and marine sediments
They are talking about removing iron and bacteria containing iron in hard water. This coincides with a previous post on water, but can you tell me what it has to do with diesel fuel?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25   #42

I guess we need to review:
1. some bacteria and algae contain iron, bound within their systems, true or false.
2. these iron bearing critters are affected by a magnetic field in close proximity, true or false.
3. some folks in white lab jackets have been playing with this effect and confirm that the algae (and bacteria) follow the rules of scientific method analysis, true or false.
4. some folks don't like to read all the way through reports, especially when their minds are already determined, true or false.

The effect on the algae going through the Algae-X is temporary, causing an orientation that allows them to pass through the filters, then be consumed by the ignition of the fuel. We studied this interesting little subject of magnetic orientation in critters when I was a lowly zoology major at UCLA, back before the invention of calculators. This shouldn't be terrorizing people today. It makes sense, it's been rigorously examined, and folks have been using the various forms of the technology for a long time. Why don't you just let follow our deluded ways and you can go on believing that the universe operates only your way. Next thing, folks will be believing that desulfators are equally whimsical.

(Just for clarification, the term "algae", in this discussion, means any of the assorted microbes, particulates, or whatever crud in the fuel, enroute to the filters. The function of the algae-x is to permit the freer passage of crud through the filters, thus, reducing the changes to filters).
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31   #43

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The effect on the algae going through the Algae-X is temporary, causing an orientation that allows them to pass through the filters, then be consumed by the ignition of the fuel.
That effect assumes linear polarization through the random swirling action of a filter system AND also assumes sufficient residence time within a magnetic field strong enough to produce such polarization. It also presumes laminar flow through both the Algae-X and the filter system which isn't realistic.

Neither is a reasonable assumption in the real world.

Just curious - have you ever looked behind the marketing display this company uses to simulate the effect?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 13:23   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So, Roy, did you study this effect on diesel fuel. Perhaps you can point to a paper you wrote on the subject.

I missed your second post while I was reading your linked to "studies" and writing my reply. I now know that subjecting alga to a magnetic field can cause them to grow and reproduce more rapidly (maybe). A totally opposite effect than we are looking for. Oh, by the way it is not alga in the fuel that is causing the problem but different types of bacteria.
Quote:
Wankei Wan, a professor of biochemical engineering at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, discovered that exposing microalgae to static magnetic fields could be another viable route for optimizing growth rate and lipid production in microalgae.
Another water study and removal of, guess what, algae from water.

And, another link to a paper claiming to be able to remove algae and bacteria from water.

Roy, do you have any interest in Algae-X?

There is nothing in any of your links that show any studies of killing bacteria from a single pass of diesel fuel through a low level magnetic field. Where's the beef, Roy? Aligning bacteria so they pass through two filters and one low pressure pump on the way to engine high pressure pump so they can be burned by the engine? Give me a break.
Old 01-01-2013, 13:35   #45
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

"True of False" is one of many phases frequently used in building logical falicies. Practitioners pretend to have proven many subpoints (they may or not be proven, disproof either being tedious or requiring proof of a null hypothisis) and then pretend they logically relate to the theory at hand.

Sloppy.

Tags
arc