Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 17:08   #121
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim rapp View Post
I get the skepticism but notice that not a single person here claims direct personal experience, probably because the very idea of spending any money on them is repellent. They worked for me.

Tino Mastry, the Yanmar dealer in St Pete Florida, believes in the Algae-x magnets. He has been around the block with diesels a few times. I had two smoker 3208's that got better after I installed the AX magnets.

A small group of people I trust in marine diesel matters use and think highly of the magnets. That said I understand the mockery and jeering. I know It looks a bit like believing in Santa Claus. But hey, if I'm nuts I'm at least happy so why worry?
Their so happy because they get a gullible public to pay them for a product that doesn't do much. Chuck
__________________

__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:14   #122
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,848
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Their so happy because they get a gullible public to pay them for a product that doesn't do much. Chuck
Chuck. I believe you are incorrect when you say it doesn't do much......it does absolutely nothing
__________________

__________________
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:20   #123
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Chuck. I believe you are incorrect when you say it doesn't do much......it does absolutely nothing
I do apologize. You are absolutely correct. Well, except it does do one thing. Line the pockets of those that sell it...
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:47   #124
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

"I had two smoker 3208's that got better after I installed the AX magnets.'
It is a shame that no independent, university, or government lab has been able to replicate your results. A skeptic might also point out that this is your first post, and that the state of New York just brought a massive lawsuit against a number of parties after they found some 25% of online reviews to actually be paid comments by folks who actually never used the place or product they were posting reviews for.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:24   #125
Marine Service Provider
 
Aloha_float's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake Huron
Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Posts: 193
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

What would be good is for those who have negative comments to actually have a basis on to which to support them. I have never tried magnets but have heard that some have had positive experience with them. I have no opinion on that.

I rank the opinions of those who have never actually tried the device to the same degree of someone who can tell how something tastes without even taking a bite. It is in fact not a valid opinion.

I agree that third party testing is a great source of validation but then again, the third party source is not always an expert opinion. Where do engineers get a spec? from a old spec?...
__________________
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:38   #126
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

"What would be good is for those who have negative comments to actually have a basis on to which to support them."
ROFL.
I have posted good reason to distrust the product. The original ads hyped it as "milspec" meeting and exceeding military specifications. Except, if you looked at the quoted milspec that had nothing to do with performance, it was a spec that literally says "If you bolt this to a bulkhead, will it stay attached after hard maneuvers?"

In other words, as the folks at every consumer affairs department will tell you, the seller tried to deceive buyers into thinking the product actually performed in some way that exceeded military specs. Staying bolted to the wall is not a big deal.

Then too, as every consumer group will tell you, when a product makes claims that are totally unsupported and actually contradicted by common laws of physics, and that product maker relies solely on testimonials rather than objective and repeatable lab results, that product usually is bunk. About 99.99999% of the time, it is bunk. And unless the claims for the product are really really clever (like citing a milspec for staying bolted to the wall) the producer winds up paying a settlement and going into another line of business.

Curiously enough, the magnetic magic boxes disappeared from ads and the web sites, to be replaced by offers of conventional chemicals.

But hey, some people believe there are magic waters that can cure all ills, too. And of the thousand religions being practiced, 999 are probably barking up a false tree as well, at least, according to what the other 999 preach.

You're happy buying magic boxes that *every* objective source says are nonsense? By all means, be happy. Coupla hundred bucks is a cheap price for happiness.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:43   #127
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,388
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post
What would be good is for those who have negative comments to actually have a basis on to which to support them. I have never tried magnets but have heard that some have had positive experience with them. I have no opinion on that.

I rank the opinions of those who have never actually tried the device to the same degree of someone who can tell how something tastes without even taking a bite. It is in fact not a valid opinion.

I agree that third party testing is a great source of validation but then again, the third party source is not always an expert opinion. Where do engineers get a spec? from a old spec?...
Sorry but this logic doesn't really play. I would trust someone's recommendation not to play Russian roulette even though they had never tried it themselves.

Science is science and one doesn't have to personally prove something to make it true.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:30   #128
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim rapp View Post
I get the skepticism but notice that not a single person here claims direct personal experience, probably because the very idea of spending any money on them is repellent.
You must not have read the entire thread. I posted earlier that we have three of them installed on our boat.

And they are snake oil, plain and simple. They do not do anything.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 13:23   #129
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
I'll sell you the Jedi-X method. Just put $100 in my account and you will receive the power to just waive your hand over your fuel tank and say the words "bacteria, these are not the fuel tanks you're looking for" and that's it, no more problems. If you still get problems, it must be from bacteria that got there before paying me.
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arc

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can You Search for a Place in OpenCPN? simonpickard Navigation 2 05-11-2012 18:05
The Search Is On for My First Boat Rhapsody-NS27 Our Community 31 07-01-2012 09:05
Concern Over Yacht - Air Search goboatingnow Our Community 21 25-09-2011 20:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.