Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 11:29   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: I hate my dinghy motor

Ultrasonic Cleaning. Never used it on a carb but use it on my kerosene stove's jets. The kerosene jets look just like a carburetor's. The hole in my jets is so small there is no other way to remove any gunk that may plug the jet. Really works well.

kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:37   #47

Boat: Pearson 530

Now you can go to the nearest Tractor Supply, Lowes, or Home Depot and get a can of Trufuel, 92 octane zero ethanol. My friend just revived a chainsaw, leaf blower, weed wacker, and lawn mower with just using either the two cycle or four cycle. He also changed out the fuel lines and filters. $19 a gallon if you can't find non-ethanol anywhere is pricey. Thought I could have had some new lawn tools.

All U Get
Old 14-08-2017, 11:43   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I'm probably going to fix mine and then sell it. I've said things to it that I can't take back. I'm concerned our relationship is forever compromised.
The only thing I've found that you can say to an outboard that makes a difference is "I've had enough and am replacing you!!!" At which point it will start to run really well for a while till one day you are between the shore and the boat and think to yourself "Man the outboard has been running real good." at which point it will die and you will be out waving your arms for passing boater help.

BTW - every problem the past 3 years I've had with my 6 HP Tohatsu has been the fuel filter.

I also like the people recommending some other brand, which is just a rebranded Tohatsu
Old 14-08-2017, 12:01   #49

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

After a broken ankle in November put me out of action, my 1984 9.9 Yamaha 2 Stroke sat frozen in with the gas tank sitting in 8" of ice in the boat. Started in March on 2nd pull after ice retreated.....any every spring has started within 5 pulls.
Premium Gas, AMSoil 2 stroke oil, 3 services since 1984, run several thousand miles rafting to sailboat.
Lesson....buy a Yamaha, use premium gas and AMSoil...(the Amsoil did make a difference when I changed to it so long ago I can't remember when but I guess it was in the late 80's)
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My late 90's Mercury 4.5 hp starts every spring in 2-3 pulls max after sitting all winter. Every time. I drain the carb before storing every year.. Using ethanol gas too.
My 90's Yamaha 15 ran fine for 3 years in the caribe. Used every day. Ditto on starting. Easy Peasy. Even started well with bad main bearings I eventually had to replace.
I've heard enough about Tohatsu and Honda to know I never want either.
There are 80 year old's out there with little used OB's sitting in the garage they used lake fishing a couple times... that are like new for $500 or less.. :>)
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 12:34   #50

Boat: Pearson 30

I have not tried this yet but people claim to be able to remove ethanol/water from gas. There are many videos available, here's one.:
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 12:36   #51

We have same motor. The carb design is horrible. Here is what we have done
Clean carb completely, including removing jets and cleaning them. Idle jet hardest, use a thread of copper wire to clean. Also passage hole between run jet and idle jet channels needs to be checked. Ensure float valve tip is cleaned as well as the seat. We use carb and choke cleaner to blow out all the small passages and channels in the body.
Next thing we have done is bolted a sierra spin on fuel filter/water separator to the transom, cut file line between bulb and engine.
Add fuel additive to tank of gas.
This has help resolve most of our engine issues.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 12:46   #52

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
After a broken ankle in November put me out of action, my 1984 9.9 Yamaha 2 Stroke sat frozen in with the gas tank sitting in 8" of ice in the boat. Started in March on 2nd pull after ice retreated.....any every spring has started within 5 pulls.
Premium Gas, AMSoil 2 stroke oil, 3 services since 1984, run several thousand miles rafting to sailboat.
Lesson....buy a Yamaha, use premium gas and AMSoil...(the Amsoil did make a difference when I changed to it so long ago I can't remember when but I guess it was in the late 80's)
Bill
About 10 years ago I replaced the Honda 25 on my 18' lobster skiff with a 25 hp Yamaha (100-1) 2 stroke. Where the Honda was a constant pain in the ass the Yamaha has been completely reliable. We ran it yesterday for about 5 hours, wide open most of the time, & got home on the same 6.5 gallon tank we started on. I love that motor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	154117  
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:10   #53

I fight this problem on my Yamaha 8.8regularly. I do use non-ethanol gas in all my small engines. I run carbs dry. The little left in the line or filter will dry out leaving blue dandruff size flakes that will clog the low speed jet. The only way I have found to overcome the clogging is to run the motor at least once every three weeks.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:30   #54

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
Also a good idea to shut the outboard down by shutting off the fuel supply and letting the engine run itself out of gas at a fast idle. No gas left in the carb that way.
That is the best idea. No fuel left............... no problems, just replave with new fuel.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:31   #55

Boat: Able 50

It's hard to add much new information to this thread. I do find that my outboard runs best on 93 grade gasoline from Shell who seem to use the least ethanol. Cleaning the carburettor once a year also makes an improvement.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:31   #56

Boat: Seaward 22

also, change your fuel line, recyle the old gas, and clean clean clean you ob gas tank. NO MORE ETHANOL.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:45   #57

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
My basically new 2014 Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke has just NEVER run reliably for me. It came with my boat and for the year or two before I bought it it was barely used.

I can only get it started with the throttle open to 70+%. It will not idle, it dies when I put it in gear, and it dies when I shift out of gear. I have to rev the hell out of it just to keep it from dying. It's dangerous because I have to POP it into gear at a higher rpm or it dies on me.

I have removed the carb and cleaned it twice now which alleviates the problem for a couple of days, then I'm back to a motor that won't idle and does the same crap. I've tried Stabil and other fuel additives. I hate this thing. I'm about to toss it into the drink and cough up the $$ for a torqueedo.

What am I doing wrong?
I'll give you $500 for it.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:45   #58

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Got no dingy, but accursed with fuel problems on many small engines in the past. Two suggestions:

As others have already said - find ethanol-free fuel. It's becoming more common as people demand it. Only about 50 cents more per gallon here. (East Texas)

The local Stihl chainsaw tech says that ethanol will "warp" the diaphragms in the carb.

Try using "Moto mix" instead of gasoline. It is shelf-stable and will actually help keep the diaphragms supple and intact. (I've only seen it for two-stroke, but believe it is also available for 4-stroke.)

Seems to be a sad fact that a new carb costs only a little more than a rebuild kit installed.

I'd wager 99% of small engine problems are fuel system related.

If it's clean, putting a little two-stroke fuel in your car won't bother it. (You may not wanna with the Admiral's Mercedes, but it won't hurt your 1980 F150)
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 15:00   #59

Boat: macgregor 26

Shame on all that recommend 2 stroke motors. Run them for an hour in a drum and you will agree that they are an environmental disaster. I have the same Tohatsu 9.8 and it works great with ethanol gas. Get it fixed and run clean gas

Fair Winds
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 15:54   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida_Lewis View Post
I love my Torqeedo 1003C.

Easy peasy to start, lightweight, and I don't have to carry gas. Additional benefit: you can have a conversation at normal sound levels while it's running. It's been great.
Go on, tell us about how it's equivalent to a 10 HP 4-stroke - with just as much power and range.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor