Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 08:09   #1

I hate my dinghy motor

My basically new 2014 Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke has just NEVER run reliably for me. It came with my boat and for the year or two before I bought it it was barely used.

I can only get it started with the throttle open to 70+%. It will not idle, it dies when I put it in gear, and it dies when I shift out of gear. I have to rev the hell out of it just to keep it from dying. It's dangerous because I have to POP it into gear at a higher rpm or it dies on me.

I have removed the carb and cleaned it twice now which alleviates the problem for a couple of days, then I'm back to a motor that won't idle and does the same crap. I've tried Stabil and other fuel additives. I hate this thing. I'm about to toss it into the drink and cough up the $$ for a torqueedo.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 14-08-2017, 08:22   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: I hate my dinghy motor

Sounds like crud in the fuel is clogging the idle orifices in your carburetor.

Clean the carb once again and install a fuel filter.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:24   #3

I've heard people say ethanol may be the problem, but this just seems ridiculous. How can you sell a motor like this in a country where it doesn't run properly on the gas that's usually available?

Since pretty much all the gas available near me is an ethanol blend (I have been using auto pump gas with Stabil, etc.) my next move I guess is to track down a station with non ethanol fuel.
Old 14-08-2017, 08:25   #4

Thanks Steve. The motor already has this inline one - https://www.amazon.com/Tohatsu-In-Li.../dp/B001447DTC

Should I add another?
Old 14-08-2017, 08:29   #5

What you are doing wrong is not buying a Yamaha!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:29   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Those engines have different jets for low speed and high speed. Your low speed jet is clogged!

Common problem and straightforward to fix.

Get a manual, take the carb apart, and get all the jets, orifices, and passages squeaky clean.

Or take it to a really good outboard motor guy.

Then, thoroughly clean out the fuel system to get rid of whatever crud caused it.

Then after it's running right, be careful to keep the fuel system clean, avoid dirty fuel, and don't let fuel stand for a long time and start to decompose in your engine. Use fuel stabilizer, or just be sure and run it often enough to keep the fuel turned over.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:34   #7

Pour a can of Sea Foam into fresh fuel.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:39   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Everybody is right today!

Yes, probably clogged idle line/ jet. This is a tiny, tiny little tube through the carb and it is SO easily plugged up.

Yes to the Seafoam.

Do NOT NOT NOT use gas with Ethanol. At least in my area, marinas sell non-ethanol.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:47   #9

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Sounds like ANOTHER cleaning... followed by seafoam and hunting down some non-ethanol fuel might help. Just crazy that they sell these motors here and you can't use 90% of the gas available here.
Old 14-08-2017, 08:51   #10

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I've heard people say ethanol may be the problem, but this just seems ridiculous. How can you sell a motor like this in a country where it doesn't run properly on the gas that's usually available?

Since pretty much all the gas available near me is an ethanol blend (I have been using auto pump gas with Stabil, etc.) my next move I guess is to track down a station with non ethanol fuel.
I think you'll find stations that sell gasoline without ethanol. It's expensive, but we're talking small volumes of it, and it does make a difference. I have a Tohatsu 6, and it can be a pain to start. Personally, I preferred two stroke outboards- lighter, less problems, and less temperamental.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:59   #11

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

Also a good idea to shut the outboard down by shutting off the fuel supply and letting the engine run itself out of gas at a fast idle. No gas left in the carb that way.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:00   #12

Boat: ODAY 28

a friend had the same engine with the same problem, he was told to readjust idle jet. claims set to low per EPA, have to drill plug to get to adjustment. he said he fixed his problem
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:03   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Those engines have different jets for low speed and high speed. Your low speed jet is clogged!

Common problem and straightforward to fix.

Get a manual, take the carb apart, and get all the jets, orifices, and passages squeaky clean.

Or take it to a really good outboard motor guy.

Then, thoroughly clean out the fuel system to get rid of whatever crud caused it.

Then after it's running right, be careful to keep the fuel system clean, avoid dirty fuel, and don't let fuel stand for a long time and start to decompose in your engine. Use fuel stabilizer, or just be sure and run it often enough to keep the fuel turned over.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Second that. Rebuild carb being careful to keep everything very clean.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:09   #14

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

I love my Torqeedo 1003C.

Easy peasy to start, lightweight, and I don't have to carry gas. Additional benefit: you can have a conversation at normal sound levels while it's running. It's been great.
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:10   #15

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

When you pull the carb and disassemble, try sonicating the carb body. As previously mentioned, the passages are very small are difficult to get the crud out. I've used an old jewelry ultrasonic cleaner with a water/fantastic solution and it worked well.

After the water cleaning be sure to blow air through the passages to dry (wear safety glasses if using pressurized air), then follow w/some Sea Foam to make certain all the water is out.

Not that it helps but you can look for an older 2 stroke (that's what I run) as they are not as finicky. Last time I checked newer 2 strokes can still be purchased in the Bahamas.

Cheers,
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor