Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2017, 15:59   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Re: I hate my dinghy motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjfield View Post
Luv my Torqeedo 1003 too..but its only about 5hp...vs your 10hp.
Might be worthwhile having a shop break it down and clean everything...lots of small parts in those ICE's.
Geez, even Torqueeda themselves don't have the cochones to claim 5HP equivalence!

Old 14-08-2017, 16:16   #62

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnpr View Post
I fight this problem on my Yamaha 8.8regularly. I do use non-ethanol gas in all my small engines. I run carbs dry. The little left in the line or filter will dry out leaving blue dandruff size flakes that will clog the low speed jet. The only way I have found to overcome the clogging is to run the motor at least once every three weeks.
I too, had always run the carbs dry on small engines.

However, last fall, I bought a Yamaha 6 (four stroke) and the dealer recommended to NOT run the carbs dry EVER. Instead, he sold me "STA-BIL" fuel treatment to keep the fuel fresh over the winter.

It seems to work as I have used the engine intermittently for the past 9 months without any trouble. Longest inactive interval was about 4 months.

Only non-ethenal fuel has been used.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 17:14   #63

Some excellent advice given. Remember change everything from fuel lines, bulb, fuel lines in engine compartment, fuel pump filter diaphragm, in line filters etc

Here is another thing to think of... the only 20 hp engine I know of that is fuel injected (read no carburetor) is the Suzuki. I just bought mine specifically because it is my main power plant in my Sharpie. I can't have my O.B. Crapping out on me with my little wife on board... she would freak.

Porte-bite will only sale 10 hp Suzuki because they got tired of getting blamed for all other Japanese/American ob. Almost bought the Yamaha but it was 700 more. It had a carb. If it had electric start you couldn't get it with manual and electric.

But all the things about sta-bil, old gas, ethanol free, running gas out of carb. Excellent.
BTW.. YouTube search what alcohol will do to the interior of your gas lines. It is sad our govt has allowed such a thing.
Old 14-08-2017, 17:32   #64

Boat: Moody M46 46

I have a Tohatsu 8hp, two years old. Starts on first pull after winter storage; first or second pull anytime else. I do use ethanol-free gas, a fuel stabilizer and let the carb run dry when I know I won;t use the motor for a day or two--i.e., leaving an anchorage. Used to have a Mercury 2 cycle but I could never get it to run. Everyone else could but not me. Sold it; love the Tohatsu.
Old 14-08-2017, 18:30   #65

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I've heard people say ethanol may be the problem, but this just seems ridiculous. How can you sell a motor like this in a country where it doesn't run properly on the gas that's usually available?

Since pretty much all the gas available near me is an ethanol blend (I have been using auto pump gas with Stabil, etc.) my next move I guess is to track down a station with non ethanol fuel.
My new Suzuki outboard dinghy motor requires that som stuff added to the fuel if it contains ethanol.
I my opinion, this Tohatsu engine is in dire need for a good carburator dismantling and tune up. Leaving gazoline into the carburator at the end of season create this kind of problems.
Old 14-08-2017, 20:10   #66

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I had years of fixing my 4HP Yamaha. Spent $150 per year having it cleaned, ultrasonic cleaned, replaced carb, cleaned jets, uses Stabil, Seafoam, non ethanol gas. Finally got a Lehr 5 HP propane. PAID FOR IT BY AVOIDING HAVING TO FIX IT.
Old 14-08-2017, 20:36   #67

Boat: Hunter, Legend, 35.5

Lots of online info on the downside of ethanol blends. Finally replaced carb with new $135) on the Tohatsu/Nissan and ran fine after trying twice to clean carb to no avail. Labor costs preclude much savings in rebuilding old carbs on these small outboards.
Old 15-08-2017, 03:51   #68

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
My basically new 2014 Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke has just NEVER run reliably for me. It came with my boat and for the year or two before I bought it it was barely used.

I can only get it started with the throttle open to 70+%. It will not idle, it dies when I put it in gear, and it dies when I shift out of gear. I have to rev the hell out of it just to keep it from dying. It's dangerous because I have to POP it into gear at a higher rpm or it dies on me.

I have removed the carb and cleaned it twice now which alleviates the problem for a couple of days, then I'm back to a motor that won't idle and does the same crap. I've tried Stabil and other fuel additives. I hate this thing. I'm about to toss it into the drink and cough up the $$ for a torqueedo.

What am I doing wrong?

I have exactly same motor with sam issue . My cause was water in fuel. There's a rubber plug next to choke on front of motor. Remove plug which exposes a carburetor drain plug. Using a long shaft but small blade driver back out screw and drain bowel. Motor should then start after a few pulls.

La Bella Vita
Old 15-08-2017, 04:12   #69

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I've thought about two things for my outboard (same as OP's) before we leave for our next extended cruising:

-- Buy a whole spare carb and keep it on hand for quick change-out if the outboard becomes possessed. This would allow us a much more leisurely time spent cleaning/fixing the old one. $162 at Defender.
Tohatsu / Nissan Replacement Carburetor

-- Get a water separating filter. I've only had the little inline one so far, but a separator is cheap insurance. $25 at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seachoice...r-Kit/32738893
Old 15-08-2017, 05:34   #70

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a Tohatsu 3.5. Had the same problem. Did what you did. Ultimately, I bought a brand new carburetor and I put in a brand new spark plug. The motor now works like new after 10 years.
Old 15-08-2017, 05:38   #71

Over many years I have come across owners with this problem. In a high proportion of cases it is nothing to do with fuel or Carb or anything like this. It is often exhaust back pressure. A tender with one person is just too low in the water aft. Try a tiller extension and some weight in the bows. You will need to get the stern up by several inches

It will take only moments to find out, it is very cheap and next time you see someone struggling away to start their motors you can get them going to
Old 15-08-2017, 08:25   #72

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-A-TAC View Post
Shame on all that recommend 2 stroke motors. Run them for an hour in a drum and you will agree that they are an environmental disaster. I have the same Tohatsu 9.8 and it works great with ethanol gas. Get it fixed and run clean gas

Fair Winds
I hear what you're saying but all 2 strokes are not created equal. The last generation Yamahas burn 100-1 oil mixes & are very efficient meaning much less pollution. There is no sheen on the water from these motors like the old days. I spent/lost a lot of money trying to go the 4 stroke route on this boat.
Old 15-08-2017, 12:29   #73

I hate my dinghy motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Geez, even Torqueeda themselves don't have the cochones to claim 5HP equivalence!

Torqueedo are definitely marketing -

""Available as 40 HP or 80 HP outboards. R models are controlled via remote throttle. T models are equipped with tiller steering.""

That is the manufacture's own statement and I'm not endorsing or denying that.

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/pro...ards/deep-blue
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4931.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	154188

Have any Cruisers switched over to Torqueedo and if so what do you report back in terms of long-term & remote reliability?
Old 15-08-2017, 12:43   #74

Boat: Hunter Vision 32

Drain bowel? EWWW!
Old 15-08-2017, 18:33   #75

Just like the previous posters explained, the tiny holes in the jets need to be cleaned. And yes, they ( some companies, maybe Tohatsu ?) do still sell small engines that are susceptible to the ethanol mixed gas, ( and there is more ethanol in some gas than others...). It takes 3 or 4 years, but eventually it will cause some rubber seals to get soft and distort if not just leak anyways. So it may be a combination of events. Thinking of a Torqeedo? The price you paid for the Tohatsu even added to a few carb rebuilds is still cheaper than an equivalent electric drive from Torqeedo.

Tags
dinghy, motor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: