Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 09:48   #31

Boat: Able 50
Re: I hate my dinghy motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Thanks. Another possible solution. My cursing at it and threatening to turn it into an extra anchor seems to only make it angrier.
It thinks you are bluffing.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:48   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
first i relied on th e internal fuel filter on outboards. that lasted 2 weeks, and 3 carb cleanings.
then i added a nice inexpensive inline filter.
that worked and i used this method for years.
then they put ethanol in gasoline and i had issues i could not afford or deal with.
my current propulsion method is reliable and not flustrating unless trying to cross a river of furycame runoff....
i use 7 ft oars.
no carb rebuild and no hassle unless one breaks... then it is a 70 or so usdollar repair.. err replacement
Don't even get me started on my Takakat dinghy... the plastic oar locks keep snapping off when I have to row hard (because my engine isn't running) in windy conditions. I consider myself a fairly powerful rower, but I'm not the incredible hulk. To their credit, Takakat sent me free oar lock replacements. But that's for another thread....
Old 14-08-2017, 09:49   #33

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Outboard fuel hoses aren't made for ethanol so the ethanol eats them that's what plugs to tiny passages
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:53   #34

Boat: X Yacht, 1 ton, 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to grjfield

Luv my Torqeedo 1003 too..but its only about 5hp...vs your 10hp.
Might be worthwhile having a shop break it down and clean everything...lots of small parts in those ICE's.
grjfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:58   #35

To properly rebuild it really needs to have all the gaskets and orings removed and soaked in a gallon of carb cleaner for a day or two. Then everything needs to be blown out. Sometimes it requires a second dunking. Just spraying it with carb cleaner isn't really enough. Then new gaskets, jets, orings on the rebuild.

Sometimes it's just easier to get a new carb. My Honda was around $60 for gaskets and jets. A complete new carb. was about $98 and came with them. For $38 it was worth avoiding the mess and aggravation.

Tohatsu 9.8 carb looks like around $170.00
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:04   #36

Boat: Oday 25

Had this problem on a 3 HP a few years back. Tohatsu dealer fixed idle adjustment under the warranty. He did it because you have to drill out a plug to get to the idle screw adjustment. Also any outboard will run OK on ethonal mixed gas but you can't leave it in the engine for more than 60 days. If you won't be using the engine for a few weeks, disconnect the fuel line and run it until it stops dry. At the end of the season, run it dry and take the remaining fuel in the tank and dump it into your car. NOT for 2 cycle fuel
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:08   #37

Boat: EndeavorCat MkII 30

I had the same problem with a 2016 Tahatsu 9.8. I only used it to motor around the marina, so it never was opened up.
As suggested, it turned out to be low speed valves. I used some StarTron enzyme fuel treatment and it cleaned it out. Works fine now.
rthompsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:23   #38

Ahoy Peregrine,

I am with you, Just spent almost a month diagnosing the same issue, (Merc 6 HP 4 stroke), really the same motor as yours with all Japanese parts.

* Watched every UTube available, Mechanics advise etc.. Took apart the Carb expecting crud in the float bowl but it was spotless! There are 3 Jets you must make sure are clear, one Fixed Jet, Middle of carb, Main Jet going through the middle of the float, and then a third jet that is manufactured sealed to never be tampered with, (EPA). this one is also top of carb. First thing they do at the dealership is drill out the seal on the fixed jet, clear it, put the jet back out , 2&1/2 turns out (Counter clockwise) then they reseal so you cannot adjust. I drilled it out myself and run it at little leaner at 1 & 1/2 turns out. Then up the idle giving me a sweet sound. (Spray a little carb cleaner over the card while running the motor to check for bubbles.

*After you do this do replace the fuel filter and make sure all lines are fresh from the Tank including the bulb and all connections are good..

* Run at least 91% Octane AT ALL TIMES the Ethanol Content Does matter (especially CA gas where I live) 87% has 15% ethanol, 89% Has 10%, 92 has less than 5% (an additive is also recommended with every fill up.

I did all this and still same issue!

Ends up it was the Fuel Pump Diaphram (Very thin and cannot hold up to the ethanol fuel) There was no kit for mine so had to buy the whole pump. It is an ongoing issue that is being addressed but not yet fixed.

My Merc running great now.(Feel like a mechanic as I had the entire fuel system apart at least 8 times.

Sorry so winded on the reply.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers,

Captd
Captdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdd View Post
Ahoy Peregrine,

I am with you, Just spent almost a month diagnosing the same issue, (Merc 6 HP 4 stroke), really the same motor as yours with all Japanese parts.

* Watched every UTube available, Mechanics advise etc.. Took apart the Carb expecting crud in the float bowl but it was spotless! There are 3 Jets you must make sure are clear, one Fixed Jet, Middle of carb, Main Jet going through the middle of the float, and then a third jet that is manufactured sealed to never be tampered with, (EPA). this one is also top of carb. First thing they do at the dealership is drill out the seal on the fixed jet, clear it, put the jet back out , 2&1/2 turns out (Counter clockwise) then they reseal so you cannot adjust. I drilled it out myself and run it at little leaner at 1 & 1/2 turns out. Then up the idle giving me a sweet sound. (Spray a little carb cleaner over the card while running the motor to check for bubbles.

*After you do this do replace the fuel filter and make sure all lines are fresh from the Tank including the bulb and all connections are good..

* Run at least 91% Octane AT ALL TIMES the Ethanol Content Does matter (especially CA gas where I live) 87% has 15% ethanol, 89% Has 10%, 92 has less than 5% (an additive is also recommended with every fill up.

I did all this and still same issue!

Ends up it was the Fuel Pump Diaphram (Very thin and cannot hold up to the ethanol fuel) There was no kit for mine so had to buy the whole pump. It is an ongoing issue that is being addressed but not yet fixed.

My Merc running great now.(Feel like a mechanic as I had the entire fuel system apart at least 8 times.

Sorry so winded on the reply.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers,

Captd

Wow! That's very helpful. Thank you Captd.
Old 14-08-2017, 10:58   #40

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

I had a similar problem with my 10 year old Honda 2000 generator. It finally got so bad that it would not start at all. Instead of spending $200.00 on a shop cleaning, I found step by step instructions on YOUTUBE and did the cleaning myself. Parts are VERY SMALL !!! I watched the video 10 times before starting disassembly while watching the video. Project took one hour max. Next time, it will take 15 minutes. I avoid Gasohol like the plague, and yet there was significant crud in the settling bowl, beyond the final filter. I am convinced that this is the new normal. We must get comfortable in making our own repairs to help keep life simple.
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:58   #41

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Just a word of support for the poor accursed Nissan!

I have a Nissan 9.8HP 4-stroke (2009). It has been very reliable, quiet, and excellent on fuel efficiency. I did need to clean the carb this year for the first time when it didn't want to idle well.

Other than that, I just practice all the other stuff mentioned above:
-- use non-ethanol gas (often hidden at your local gas station, with a small label on the Premium pump)
-- disconnect the fuel line when you're done for the day and run the fuel out
-- regular use of SeaFoam in the fuel
-- and change your engine oil once a year

Also make sure your fuel bulb and lines don't have any leaks. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:00   #42

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Find a no ethanol source. Many marinas stock it. Also never buy more than a month's supply, these motors hate old gas. And as others have noted learn to clean all the jets with particular attention to low and idle. It has worked for me.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:01   #43

Boat: '95 Catalina 30

I use "MoGas" from my friendly airstrip; its ethanol-free and 91+ octane. Can't hurt the carb parts and keeps for long time w/o stabilizer.

My Tohatsu requires full-on choke. I try to remember to lightly pump the fuel line bulb. Always open the top gas filler cap vent fully counter-clockwise. Mine usually starts 1st or 2nd pull. I let is go with choke on until she starts to smoke a bit, then, importantly, just ease the choke back slowly while she warms while throttle rev'ing slightly.
jamesdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:04   #44

Boat: Bristol 29

Some would wonder why you HAVE a dinghy motor. My twin spruce outboards never give ME any trouble!
You can buy non-ethanol unleaded gas in Vermont. I run it in my old Graymarine Sea Scout, and she loves it. Aircraft fuel is non-ethanol, but it contains tetra ethyl lead, so avoid if possible.
CaptainGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:19   #45

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

I've been told to run the carb dry, every time. I've also been told to replace all rubber parts, with Viton.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor