Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 09:12   #16

Boat: 1970 Morgan 41 Yawl
Re: I hate my dinghy motor

I have the exact same motor and must have gone through the ritual of cleaning the carb a half dozen times, only to find a small piece of gunk or crude lodged in the pick up tube, or jet. Use a stripped off bread tie wire to clean it out, reassemble and its good to go. To avoid it in the future, disconnect the fuel line and run it dry, pull out the choke the last few seconds to try to keep it running while it leans out. If you want to make sure all the fuel it out there is a 8mm drain plug at the bottom of the float bowl.
The above procedure is used if you want to use ethanol fuel 10%, otherwise buy Rec fuel 90 that marathon or wawa sells. which is good in the carb and when it evaporates out will not leave a residue like the ethanol fuel does.
By the way I had honda, yamaha, and tohatsu and they all got carbs and they all clog up the same way.
Hope this helps
rocnrichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:12   #17

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Ethanol is a killer on irregularly used motors...water absorption. Use only premium gas (typically non-ethanol), empty tank at end of season or empty carb at end of use. I lost 2 chain saws before getting this advice from service shop and none since
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I've heard people say ethanol may be the problem, but this just seems ridiculous. How can you sell a motor like this in a country where it doesn't run properly on the gas that's usually available?

Since pretty much all the gas available near me is an ethanol blend (I have been using auto pump gas with Stabil, etc.) my next move I guess is to track down a station with non ethanol fuel.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:14   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Hondas are notorious for this problem. Cleaning does not work. Even my local dealer no longer cleans them because it's cheaper to replace & then you know it's clean. I spent a year changing jets & cleaning to no avail. Put a new carb in & no problems since. I use non ethanol gas & run it dry before storing.

2014 MFS9.8A3 Tohatsu Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:14   #19

Boat: Hunter 30

I cleaned and cleaned mine and it still ran rough. Bought a new carb and no problems. My motor was used and I didn't know its history so it seemed reasonable at the time. I only use non ethanol fuel.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:17   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Hi -me too... hate my 4 stroke hate all 2 strokes - almost all are scrap unless you use them daily
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:20   #21

If the engine sat for years so did the tank. Clean the tank, or better still, get a new one, so you can be sure that MORE dirt from the tank won't bung the jets every time you clean them.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrichy View Post
I have the exact same motor and must have gone through the ritual of cleaning the carb a half dozen times, only to find a small piece of gunk or crude lodged in the pick up tube, or jet. Use a stripped off bread tie wire to clean it out, reassemble and its good to go. To avoid it in the future, disconnect the fuel line and run it dry, pull out the choke the last few seconds to try to keep it running while it leans out. If you want to make sure all the fuel it out there is a 8mm drain plug at the bottom of the float bowl.
The above procedure is used if you want to use ethanol fuel 10%, otherwise buy Rec fuel 90 that marathon or wawa sells. which is good in the carb and when it evaporates out will not leave a residue like the ethanol fuel does.
By the way I had honda, yamaha, and tohatsu and they all got carbs and they all clog up the same way.
Hope this helps
Thank you. I will check the pickup tube etc and possibly replace the tank.
Old 14-08-2017, 09:28   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Dinghy outboards become possessed on a regular basis. The final fix after cleaning is an exorcism involving rum and chickens feet.
Old 14-08-2017, 09:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Dinghy outboards become possessed on a regular basis. The final fix after cleaning is an exorcism involving rum and chickens feet.
Thanks. Another possible solution. My cursing at it and threatening to turn it into an extra anchor seems to only make it angrier.
Old 14-08-2017, 09:33   #25

I have a 2015 Tohatsu 3.5 4stroke purchased new with no more than 2 hours on it. It's been in the dealer's shop 4 times. He rebuilt the carb twice and finally replaced it. I now use ethanol free gas at $5 per gallon which is no easy feat to find in rural MD. I keep it on a stand and run it now and then. Still not an EZ starter. Total PIA.
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqPeg View Post
I have a 2015 Tohatsu 3.5 4stroke purchased new with no more than 2 hours on it. It's been in the dealer's shop 4 times. He rebuilt the carb twice and finally replaced it. I now use ethanol free gas at $5 per gallon which is no easy feat to find in rural MD. I keep it on a stand and run it now and then. Still not an EZ starter. Total PIA.
I'm probably going to fix mine and then sell it. I've said things to it that I can't take back. I'm concerned our relationship is forever compromised.
Old 14-08-2017, 09:43   #27

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I've heard people say ethanol may be the problem, but this just seems ridiculous. How can you sell a motor like this in a country where it doesn't run properly on the gas that's usually available?

Since pretty much all the gas available near me is an ethanol blend (I have been using auto pump gas with Stabil, etc.) my next move I guess is to track down a station with non ethanol fuel.
We use a web site www.pure-gas.org to find stations in US and Canada selling ethanol free fuel.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:44   #28

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Just to add another thought to the suggestions about cleaning the carb, and the fact that you have done so. It was triggered by the fuel filter suggestion from Panope. Have you considered a thorough clean out or replacement of your fuel tank, which I assume is a portable metal or plastic type. Your outboard is one that is widely used without problems, and the problems you describe are almost certainly fuel related. This suggests the possible cure -the entire fuel process, from retail source to tank to fuel hose (including an in line filter) to engine to the internal flow via the carburetor. If I were not so far away, I'd offer to buy your beast on the cheap....
Old 14-08-2017, 09:44   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

first i relied on th e internal fuel filter on outboards. that lasted 2 weeks, and 3 carb cleanings.
then i added a nice inexpensive inline filter.
that worked and i used this method for years.
then they put ethanol in gasoline and i had issues i could not afford or deal with.
my current propulsion method is reliable and not flustrating unless trying to cross a river of furycame runoff....
i use 7 ft oars.
no carb rebuild and no hassle unless one breaks... then it is a 70 or so usdollar repair.. err replacement
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:46   #30

My late 90's Mercury 4.5 hp starts every spring in 2-3 pulls max after sitting all winter. Every time. I drain the carb before storing every year.. Using ethanol gas too.
My 90's Yamaha 15 ran fine for 3 years in the caribe. Used every day. Ditto on starting. Easy Peasy. Even started well with bad main bearings I eventually had to replace.
I've heard enough about Tohatsu and Honda to know I never want either.
There are 80 year old's out there with little used OB's sitting in the garage they used lake fishing a couple times... that are like new for $500 or less.. :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor