Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2013, 16:33   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Hynautic steering does not work

Another trick for finding the hydraulic fluid leak would be to take a container of talcum powder and "squeeze-puff" out a little spray of powder on your suspect spots. The leak will show an obvious clear "snail trail" over the powdered places.

Old 06-04-2013, 16:38   #17

I've had five boats with hydraulic steering I never had a system that consumed fluid

Old 06-04-2013, 16:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You have got to have a pool of hydraulic fluid someplace on the boat. You don't want your bilge pump pumping that out in the marina. Can get more expensive than the boat.
Old 06-04-2013, 16:49   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

I don't know exactly which model you have. I had a Hynautic system but the pressure was no where near 40psi. I think it was 10psi max. You should check that with the owners manual. It could be the 40psi is blowing oil past the seals.

As I understand it the pressure is just there to keep air from getting into the system. So the pressure required probably depends on how high the highest point in the system is. However, 15psi should push oil to pretty much any height since that is atmospheric pressure at sea level. I would be suspicious of the 40psi recommendation until you read it in the manual for your specific system.
Old 06-04-2013, 16:56   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I don't know exactly which model you have. I had a Hynautic system but the pressure was no where near 40psi. I think it was 10psi max. You should check that with the owners manual. It could be the 40psi is blowing oil past the seals.

As I understand it the pressure is just there to keep air from getting into the system. So the pressure required probably depends on how high the highest point in the system is. However, 15psi should push oil to pretty much any height since that is atmospheric pressure at sea level. I would be suspicious of the 40psi recommendation until you read it in the manual for your specific system.
Good point, I missed that, I think mine was 20 psi max...? any amount would usually make it work. I never did understand the air over oil concept... self bleeding maybe...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 17:12   #21

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Good point, I missed that, I think mine was 20 psi max...? any amount would usually make it work. I never did understand the air over oil concept... self bleeding maybe...?
These systems were designed so the reservoir and oil fill location could be placed at the same point as the rudder cylinder. But usually the steering pumps at the helm stations are several feet higher than the cylinder. Air rises in oil or just about any fluid. If there is no pressure in the reservoir then any air leak in the system will cause the air ingested to rise to the highest spot (the helm pump). The oil will drain back into the reservoir and the pump will no longer work. This sounds suspiciously like the OP's problem stated in the first post of this thread.

I can't be sure of course but the previous owner may have decided that pumping up to 40psi stretched out the length of time between air fills. The right solution is to find the leaking seal(s) and fix them. If you suddenly lose steering in a seaway things can go sideways quickly. In the mean time keep a small bicycle pump near the reservoir ready to go at a moment's notice.
Old 06-04-2013, 18:21   #22

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You have got to have a pool of hydraulic fluid someplace on the boat. You don't want your bilge pump pumping that out in the marina. Can get more expensive than the boat.

Deepfrz is right on the mark. That oil is going someplace and you should be able to see it. The most probable place for a leak is the hydraulic control box (or whatever its called) that the wheel is attached to although it could be anyplace.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 36 trawler

Oh, and by the way, I said at the beginning that I had zip experience with hydraulics. So if I locate the leak, do I just remove the bad piece (presumably spilling fluid), take it into a hydraulic place and get a new piece, then come back to the boat, install it, top off the reservoir, bleed the system and continue on with it?

John
Old 07-04-2013, 10:58   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Oh, and by the way, I said at the beginning that I had zip experience with hydraulics. So if I locate the leak, do I just remove the bad piece (presumably spilling fluid), take it into a hydraulic place and get a new piece, then come back to the boat, install it, top off the reservoir, bleed the system and continue on with it?

John
if it is you flex hoses you will have to take them off and get new ones made up at a hydralic shop.

leaking from pipework may just be a case of tightening up the flange nut/olive assembly

cracked pipe you will have to replace.,you might need a flareing tool

leaking ram cylinder,take off and get it serviced at a hydralic shop.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
The shaft seal on the helm pump can leak, fluid should be dripping from behind the wheel. Easy rebuild if your handy with tools. Good luck
Old 08-04-2013, 13:03   #26

These guys will rebuild the Hynautic Helm or Ram if you need ... likely what is necessary.
Hynautic Steering and all hydraulic steering needs

Mike
Old 08-08-2013, 14:59   #27

Check for oil leaks. Paper towels around every connection. If you have no oil leaks but still drop pressure, check for air leaks around the sight tube on the reservoir, around the fill cap O-ring, and replace the Schrader valve with a high-quality one from a good bike shop. I worked on a similar system a while back and had leaks in the ram and the pump. All fixed, eventually, at a regular hydraulic place here in Panama.

Tags
steering

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: