Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 16:12   #1

Hybrid system choices

Ok, I have been looking at parallel hybrid diesel solutions for repowering (not series, definitely not a series solution lol) and I have ran into an issue of finding pricing.

I have read a number of pages on here and seen them degenerate into flame fest, usually against series hybrid systems. So I am trying to avoid this.

Has anyone been able to repower using a parallel system, what kind of cost did you incur? I have looked at the complete kit from beta marine, but cant find a price. Saw an adapter style kit to mount onto existing diesel engines.. but the links I found were dead ends >.< another issue i had when trying to research a lot of pages, links etc are from years ago.

I have an old westerbeke 40 system, I want to update before doing any long distance cruising. Still runs decently, but want to upgrade her before we cast off.

Any insights guys price of buying a off the shelf kit for slapping on an engine or built hybrid engine or building one from scratch or??

Thanks guys
RR

P.s I have read the anti-hybrid posts, which were insightful. But not needed here though thanks guys
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 20:45   #2

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat
Re: Hybrid system choices

Maybe have a word with Hybrid Marine in the UK. They do full parallel hybrid repower with new beta's. We talked with them about parallel on an existing motor, but they only do re-power or new.
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 20:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenomads View Post
Maybe have a word with Hybrid Marine in the UK. They do full parallel hybrid repower with new beta's. We talked with them about parallel on an existing motor, but they only do re-power or new.
Oh sweet, I'll reach out to them.

To be honest the beta marines really interest me
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:07   #4

Have you guys been following Kubota? They recently released a prototype "micro hybrid" with a 10kW 48V alternator/starter. I wonder who they are working with - Bosch, Siemens, etc? Although I've heard great things about Beta Marine's Kubota conversions, I wonder about the reliability and performance of their proprietary hybrid solution. And the Kubota hybrid only replaces the alternator vs adding a separate 10kW motor on the PTO. I think this would be a great solution for medium sailing cats without a genset.

https://www.ivtinternational.com/new...ower-loss.html
trvlmscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:12   #5

The Kubota website claims that they will have a conversion package to retrofit existing engines, which I would imagine fits fine on Beta engines.
trvlmscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 14:29   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I would so lust after this if I could afford it.

Especially if it turned out to be the inTEGrel / Triskel system Nigel Calder's been working on.

What a sweet combo that would be.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 14:21   #7

I have been looking into this. Specifically the Beta 75 Hybrid.

a 48 VDC system using two 10kW electric motors.

The electric motors provide generation when running the engine.

Two high output 24V alternators also provide power generation.

As of this writing cost is around $30K USD, depending on GBP exchange rate.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 19:31   #8

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

So the Kubota is like Integrel - a big generator-equivalent? It isn't an electric motor so doesn't power the prop? If so, then both are about getting rid of the generator and not necessarily anything about hybrid or electric drive.

I can see a definite advantage in a two-engine boat though of a large alternator beyond simply removing the genset:

2 diesels + 1 genset =>
either 1 x diesel & BIG alternator + 1 x electric
or 1 x diesel & BIG alternator + 1 x diesel-electric parallel hybrid
So remove the genset (maintenance savings, weight saving, cost saving).
Buy the BIG alternator (high cost, little maintenance, little weight).
Buy as many batteries as you like/need (costly and heavy, but little maintenance).
Buy electric motor (mid cost, no maintenance, light weight).
Optionally remove a second diesel propulsion motor (big savings on maintenance, cost and weight).

This should give abilities to
  • run at low speed or short time on electric-only (time & distance depends on battery size)
  • run at low speed for a long time on electric propulsion using the BIG alternator to continuously power the electric (but not the prop)
  • run at low-med power for long time using one diesel engine + BIG alternator to power the electric,
  • run at high power for short-med time on two diesels (if you have parallel hybrid so have two diesels still),
  • long run at high power travel by jet aircraft .
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 19:33   #9

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail42 View Post
I have been looking into this. Specifically the Beta 75 Hybrid.

a 48 VDC system using two 10kW electric motors.

The electric motors provide generation when running the engine.

Two high output 24V alternators also provide power generation.

As of this writing cost is around $30K USD, depending on GBP exchange rate.
Very interesting - how much is a Beta with alternators but without the hybrid-electric components? I'd be very keen to know the cost of the electrical propulsion parts only!
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 19:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
So the Kubota is like Integrel - a big generator-equivalent? It isn't an electric motor so doesn't power the prop? If so, then both are about getting rid of the generator and not necessarily anything about hybrid or electric drive.

I can see a definite advantage in a two-engine boat though of a large alternator beyond simply removing the genset:

2 diesels + 1 genset =>
either 1 x diesel & BIG alternator + 1 x electric
or 1 x diesel & BIG alternator + 1 x diesel-electric parallel hybrid
So remove the genset (maintenance savings, weight saving, cost saving).
Buy the BIG alternator (high cost, little maintenance, little weight).
Buy as many batteries as you like/need (costly and heavy, but little maintenance).
Buy electric motor (mid cost, no maintenance, light weight).
Optionally remove a second diesel propulsion motor (big savings on maintenance, cost and weight).

This should give abilities to
  • run at low speed or short time on electric-only (time & distance depends on battery size)
  • run at low speed for a long time on electric propulsion using the BIG alternator to continuously power the electric (but not the prop)
  • run at low-med power for long time using one diesel engine + BIG alternator to power the electric,
  • run at high power for short-med time on two diesels (if you have parallel hybrid so have two diesels still),
  • long run at high power travel by jet aircraft .
Huh? Um no. The Kubota based hybrid is a parallel propulsion system. Not soley a power generation system.
Old 17-09-2019, 19:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Very interesting - how much is a Beta with alternators but without the hybrid-electric components? I'd be very keen to know the cost of the electrical propulsion parts only!
Maybe email them?
Old 18-09-2019, 01:37   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail42 View Post
Maybe email them?
None of the engine manufacturers seem to want to give prices out and boatshow type discounts can be substantial.

If you are after a Beta with alternators then perhaps look at the Green engine range, intended for canal boats so big charging systems but other than cooling systems and a coat of paint, they are the same base engine:

https://betamarine.co.uk/portfolio-i...-30-greenline/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote