Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 15:59   #1

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Hybrid Diesels

I am in the process of specing a new 56 foot yacht that will be built over the next 14 months and an looking at engine choices. So I am wondering if anyone here has actual experience with Hybrid Diesels specifically Steyr Motors of Austria.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 18:12   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Hybrid Diesels

I wouldn't use anything that parts and service weren't readily available in areas I planned on cruising. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 18:23   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Check out the Island Pilot DSe hybrid which uses those engines.
DSe 12m Sunshine
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 18:33   #4

River Cruiser, thanks for that advice but it is the reason I have specifically asked about Steyr as they have a global network of dealers. My initial cruising area will be the Caribbean and they have 3 dealers in that area.

What I am really looking for is comment on the efficiency of the hybrid drive. From my research it seems to be good but I would like comment from people who have had experience with the diesel hybrid system.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 14-07-2014, 14:11   #5

I can give you one data point on the Steyr. I had nothing to do with it except watch helplessly from outside. Endless problems. Local dealer knew nothing. Manuals and documentation were several versions behind the real mechanics. Several years later, the project is stalled after running out of money. It looks neat, but I wouldn't even consider it unless you are very mechanically inclined and willing to do everything yourself.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 14:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't get it,
My Prius works, and works well, because it's often changing speeds, braking and going up and down hills where regenerative braking can recover some energy that is normally wasted as heat in the brakes, and having the electric motors can result in a smaller internal combustion engine as you don't have to size that for acceleration.
I get how a Hybrid Tug boat could work as some spend a lot of time moving slowly around but occasionally need a metric arse load of power in bursts.
But, isn't almost all of cruising motoring time usually spent at a constant state? How is a Hybrid anything but additional weight at that point?
Even in a Hybrid automobile the most efficient use of power is gasoline being converted to kinetic energy directly, not to make electricity to store in a battery to use to drive an electric motor to get kinetic energy.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 14:53   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Hybrid diesel electric marine power systems are more of a gimmick to garner some of the green money laying around. If you have such money and interest in spending it in a futile attempt to be green, then be my guest.

Otherwise power your multi-million dollar cruiser with a direct connected heavy duty diesel and not the Styer with or without its generator.

Why? You can't carry enough batteries or put up enough solar panels to make it worth while.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 16:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Hybrid diesel electric marine power systems are more of a gimmick to garner some of the green money laying around. If you have such money and interest in spending it in a futile attempt to be green, then be my guest.

Otherwise power your multi-million dollar cruiser with a direct connected heavy duty diesel and not the Styer with or without its generator.

Why? You can't carry enough batteries or put up enough solar panels to make it worth while.

David
David thank you for your comment. But I don't see it as a futile attempt at being green, I am just thinking if these systems work and I can contribute less contamination in marinas and especially unspoilt pristine anchorages, the few that are left, I would consider it an advantage in our fragile eco system at the moment. Dollars and cents do not count when it comes to helping preserve the environment for future generations.
Old 14-07-2014, 17:43   #9

Northern Lights and Lugger Diesel have a real hybrid system. Steyr really doesn't have anything suitable for a boat that size.

the electric system they use is a max output of 7 kw and that isn't much in a 56' boat plus the diesels are very high rpm.
Capt Hugh Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 18:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Hugh Wilde View Post
Northern Lights and Lugger Diesel have a real hybrid system. Steyr really doesn't have anything suitable for a boat that size.

the electric system they use is a max output of 7 kw and that isn't much in a 56' boat plus the diesels are very high rpm.
Thanks Capt Hugh, This is the type of info I am looking for and the info you have given just rules out Styer as a contender.
Thanks.

I will look into the Northern Lights and Lugger Diesel systems. My diesel of choice is Volvo D180. I have to investigate if this can be used with an electric Hybrid system, if not this motor is as very eco friendly for a diesel and will have to suffice as is.
Old 14-07-2014, 18:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Thanks Capt Hugh, This is the type of info I am looking for and the info you have given just rules out Styer as a contender.
Thanks.

I will look into the Northern Lights and Lugger Diesel systems. My diesel of choice is Volvo D180. I have to investigate if this can be used with an electric Hybrid system, if not this motor is as very eco friendly for a diesel and will have to suffice as is.
The lugger system uses Northern Lights engines that are based on John Deere engines.
The Lugger system is also a bigger hp than that at around 300.

But is is a complete system.

Nanni diesel also does a hybrid based on a Toyoda engine with either a 7 or 15 KW electrical unit. They have a 180 hp engine and a 200.
Capt Hugh Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 18:37   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

According to all-knowing Wiki:

"Currently, almost all diesel locomotives are diesel-electric..."

And that's since about 1950. But the technology's just
not there yet, some say.

I own 2 Priuses (prii?) They each have over 230,000 miles
on them. Never had a need for a brake job. Very little
maintenance needed on either. Still around 45 mpg.

Just sayin', lots of people out there doin' some great stuff.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 04:48   #13

How many KW are you talking about? Being able to have multiple generators and the efficiency of generators will give you better mileage while providing redundancy. Basically all big horsepower plants are diesel electric. Get a part list and check availability at a few locations. I would get a drawing how your engine room will look with both diesels and co-gen.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 05:20   #14

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I just read the specs on their engines. This IS NOT a good choice for a sailboat. It is a high rpm engine designed for jet pump and out drives. If you put this high revving thing in a sailboat it would drive you nuts! You need a reliable slow revving chugger!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 05:34   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
According to all-knowing Wiki:

"Currently, almost all diesel locomotives are diesel-electric..."

And that's since about 1950. But the technology's just
not there yet, some say.

I own 2 Priuses (prii?) They each have over 230,000 miles
on them. Never had a need for a brake job. Very little
maintenance needed on either. Still around 45 mpg.

Just sayin', lots of people out there doin' some great stuff.
Diesel electric Locomotives are a completely different type of system entirely, just as big Cruise ship with Azipods are. Can you imagine the size of transmission a direct drive locomotive would have to have?
I believe but may be mistaken that the Locomotives came from WWII subs, which are of course Hybrids.
Now if you have a vessel that has enormous electrical loads, then a diesel electric makes sense as your going to have to run a large generator anyway, but then that wouldn't be green would it?

Is anything greener than what most of us have, that being sailboats that the majority of electricity comes from solar and at least a large portion of the propulsive force comes from the wind?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel