Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 11:13   #1

Boat: Newport 28 II
Hurth trans leak

I have a hurth trans on a 5411 universal, seems to have developed a drip that I cannot trace down it only happens after a long motor.
I just had the fluid changed in May and it seems to have began after that.
What are the obvious things I should look for before I think about bigger issues.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:52   #2

Re: Hurth trans leak

The oil level could be too high, causing excess oil to come out the vent when the temp gets hot, or maybe just a bad gasket on the oil drain plug weeping.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:58   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Output shaft seal and shift lever shaft seal would be the 1st places to check. Make sure the drain and fill plugs are snug and not leaking. To locate the leak clean the transmission case with brake cleaner to get all the oil removed, sprinkle flour on it before motoring and you should be able to see where it's leaking after running for awhile. The most work to repair would be the input shaft seal which would require removal of the transmission and then you might as well rebuild it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 19:54   #4

Boat: Newport 28 II

Spent a few hours checking for a leak from the tranny and found the washer on the fill/dipstick plug had rotted through in a few places and replaced it with a copper washer also the vent hole was almost plugged solid and hard to blow through so I cleaned with a wire and alcohol then
I ran the motor in forward for 1/2 hour let sit an hour and found no evidence that it leaked or weeped any ware.
I checked the fluid level and it is right at the mark.
This situtation really forced me to get down there and learn what's going on with the drive train. I feel much more comfortable knowing how everything works.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurth