Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2008, 18:11   #16

Fair enough, Pat. I guess we have a respectful difference of opinion. I'm glad to get the EKG even though I might collapse upon leaving the doctor's office. I'm still trying to figure out the story conveyed by the administrator. I'm married to a Kiwi - must be something in the water....(or oil)

Regards,
Allen
AllenUhler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 18:48   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
I see no relationship between EngineCheckUp and the product you referenced, or the individuals administering the test, in your quaint anecdote
I was not suggesting there was a relationship. Nor was I suggesting your product was not of any good. Nor was I suggesting your product or your company was unscrupulous in anyway, just to be clear.
What I am suggesting is how the results, the interpretaion of the results, and the use of that interpretation could be used improperly by someone unscrupulous enough to drum up some business. You have said yourself that if the results found with your product are such that an issue maybe exist in an engine, then a more stringent Lab test would be prudent. That to me show's that either your product is failable or the person reading/interpreting the results could be failable. Which then makes me only wonder at how a business can then drum up significant work to keep them busy over winter. Maybe they are ligit, not saying they are not. But it was that situation I am questioning. Not your product.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 18:49   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Ummm, isn't it an ECG. Electro Cardio Gram

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 18:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Ummm, isn't it an ECG. Electro Cardio Gram
not on my side of the planet...

technically yes it is an ECG. Common slang has allowed EKG as a parallel.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 03:49   #20

EKG is the original reflecting Kardio which is German. As far as your comment regarding the results being "manipulated" by unscrupulous individuals, that is something we have little control over. Same to be said about the EKG / ECG reader, or the company that reports on my oil samples, the mechanic that repairs my car, the optometrist that checks my eyes and the chef that ensures Kobe beef, when in reality we trust all outwardly. Yes, I agree with you that manipulation can occur. I believe we are getting "off topic" as we enter an arena where none of us has any control over such. By the way, one reason that we promote TUV on our product so heavily is to deter counterfeiting. Counterfeiters would have to use the TUV logo which would add an extra level of concern (having abused the TUV logo, TUV is aggressive about protection).
Your points are noted and well taken.
Regards,
Allen Uhler
AllenUhler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 15:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenUhler View Post
To drh1965 - Glad that you have at least had the opportunity to review the product first hand. At this point in time I feel as though putting dozens or hundreds of pictured results on the web, or in a brochure, would add more confusion to prospective users. I envision the customer eying each picture and comparing it to that in his / her hand, each comparison taking what..10 seconds? 5 seconds? And the reality is that there are almost an infinite number of possibilities when you consider that there are 5 tests with very result degrees of each and then add the petrol vs diesel.....and by that time the prospect has missed the point of easy application. In fact, our new brochure has LESS pictures but more descriptive analysis as to reading and interpreting. As we expand our product line into the automotive field, we have had no such confusion or problems with result interpretation either in the US or internationally (we are now in Australia, South Africa, Germany, Netherlands and Russia). With over 40 magazines in the US published editorials (the most recent was Trailer Boats. Maybe not a sailors magazine though from my un-boat-trained eye you can pull a sailboat on a trailer) we have had little in the way of translation or interpretation problems. I revert to my previous note about "Interpreting Your Test Results" and in fact our studies have shown that this simple guide (without actual pictures) is all that is required to get full results.
Thanks for taking the time to write about the product.
Kind Regards,

Allen Uhler
Owner
EngineCheckUp
I'm sorry I posted anything on this topic. I was trying to contribute something useful to this great forum as this group has helped me in a very measurable way. It's obvious to me that these guys aren't nearly as I naive as I appear to be. Your response sounds like an infomercial and implies I'm 1) doing something wrong, and 2), obviously, stupid. I can tell you that I don't know of a single DIY sailor that minds spending more time doing things right on their boats. I'll put the quality of my repairs up against that of a pro any day. The pro would have completed the jobs I've done in 1/20 the time but I'm confident of the results when I'm done. I had hoped your product would be helpful to me. I don't care about saving $10 worth of used oil. I don't care if I have to spend a few hours analyzing the used oil with your product. I care about detecting the condition of my engine that has ~2000 hours on it of which I put on 50. I don't know how/where to get an oil analysis done. I'm going to find out now, however. That is my final evaluation of your product. It told me nothing so I'm going to have to use another tool.

Thanks!
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 15:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
This sounds scary. I can only assume the guy is honest and not a landshark. But it reminds me of a situation I was involved with many years ago by a couple of unscrupulous characters. I was working for an additive company as a sales/technical rep. I was doing a special promo on an additive for Petrol(Gas) cars for cleaning injectors and cleaning water from the fuel. I would train forecourt attendants at how to sell the product. When they removed the fuel cap, looking at the inside of the cap would often reveal condensation(it was winter) and so it was a good tool for suggesting they add this product to aid in the event that water may also be in their tank. I supplied a wall chart and had little stars on the top of each bottle cap. As a Forecourt person sold a bottle, they could stick the star after their name on the chart. I would then pay them each $1.00 for each start, in cash. Well one service station sold huge quantities of the product and it was between two forecourt personal. They were each earning several hundred dollars a week. I asked them how on earth they had been so succesful. Well the reply was, "when a car comes into the Forecourt, I remove the cap, dunk it in the container of windscreen washing water and then show it to the driver. They always buy a bottle of additive. I was shocked and horrified. The promo came to an end rather sharply after that.
I think your on to something here, Alan. It would be extremely easy for a dishonest mechanic to use this test strip to drum up work. I could hear him say, " you see that jaggy right there on the little black circle... that means your crank bearings are about to fail. If we fix this now, it'll cost a few hundred. If we wait, $%$%^$^^, It'll be 1 millllllion dollars"
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote