Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 03:09   #1

How to Turn a Yanmar 8hp Off

I have just bought a Columbia 27 and have recently kicked the motor over which was ok but then i couldn't work out how to turn the bloody thing off.There is no obvious kill switch and the only thing that looked like a possibilty was the accelerator cable connection.It was very low on fuel and stopped by it's self(ran out of fuel) but does that mean that i have to prim it to start it again ?.Or can i just put more fuel in ?It's a new purchase and i.m on there with a very young family and i need some help
tsprouster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: How to Turn a Yanmar 8hp Off

you use the decompressor lever to stop it on the tappet cover.
will need bleeding back to the injector if run out of fuel
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tsprouster.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Atoll is correct, although I would expect that there is a decompression lever/pullknob on the control panel. Turning off the ignition switch does not turn off a diesel as they are a compression engine, rather than one run by ignition. In any event, while I am not familiar with the 8 HP Yanmar, most Yanmars I am familiar with do have a knob on the control panel that you pull and hold in the up position until the engine dies.
If you ran out of fuel, it will need to be manually bled to get air out of the system, as Atoll suggests.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:56   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have no idea what diesel engine you have but on my volvo I just pull on my throttle to a position that shuts off the fuel flow to the injector pump.

In an emergency when you can't get the engine to stop you can plug the air intake with something large that won't get sucked into the engine. Best to make plans for this in advance.

As others have commented you'll have to bleed your fuel system and get any air out of the fuel lines. Get a manual for the engine and there should be a diagram with one or more bleeder screws pointed out. I have a manual fuel pump built into the engine for bleeding the system but it's a pain to use so I plumbed an electric fuel pump in after the fuel filter. Works like a charm and doesn't interfere with the fuel flow when not being used.

I just came across this thread you might want to read too:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-121956.html
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:17   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I have two of these engines in my catamaran. Sweetest little diesels made.

As has been mentioned already in this thread, there are a couple of ways to stop a diesel. Starve it or decompression.

You should find two stiff mechanical cables running from the engine to your cockpit. They originate on the opposite side of the engine from the alternator. One of these cables runs to your engine speed control and is your throttle and one is not. The one that's 'not' is your diesel shutoff. It should run to a knob or handle strategically placed, which when pulled, turns off the engine.

Follow the cables from the engine up and you should very quickly figure what goes where. Most boats located the shutoff near the engine controls, but not always. On my boat my stop handles are hidden in a cockpit locker.

The very top of the engine has a square piece of metal about 6" square. This is your valve cover. A lever is mounted in it. Pull the lever up and it dumps compression. This is not used to stop the engine. Rather it's used to speed bleed (or prime) a slow starting motor.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my ericson has a yannie, 2 cyl. i was advised by yanmar guy when it was overhauled that i should idle it down to stall out then turn off key.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 18:15   #8

Years ago I bought a new Columbia 7.6 with the 8hp Yanmar. If I recall, I simply turned off the ignition key.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote