Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 21:12   #31

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: How to Lift an Engine

Not to worry. My second job as a teen was the engine-man for a wrecking yard. You'd be surprised what a sheet metal pan can take.

I use to set an engine up on a wooden bench , on the oil pan, and chain it down. Start it up and grade the motor for sale. Not once did I do enough damage to have it rejected.
Old 30-08-2011, 21:30   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I wish I could say the same but cannot. Remember a 45 horse diesel weighs about 500 lbs with transmission. Remember too at the back of the pan is very close to the crankshaft. At $13,000 a pop these days for an engine, I would do anything I could to sling it from above. There is a reason for those lifting brackets on top.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:26   #33

Boat: Sceptre 41

@CS -- There is no way to sling it from the top. If there was this thread would not have been started. Thanks for your concern but I know that engines can sit on their oil pans as I have a Mercedes diesel in my garage doing exactly that. I think the key is to distribute the load as much as possible. Thus Del's idea of a formed board to put under the oil pan seems like a good one to me.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:03   #34

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
@CS -- There is no way to sling it from the top. If there was this thread would not have been started. Thanks for your concern but I know that engines can sit on their oil pans as I have a Mercedes diesel in my garage doing exactly that. I think the key is to distribute the load as much as possible. Thus Del's idea of a formed board to put under the oil pan seems like a good one to me.
My New Yanmar 3YM20 Had to be dropped in through the garage roof opening using the boom as a crane (after removing the garage it made more lengthwise space).

The pan went onto a scaffold board (which had a liberal coating of grease) then the engine was slid along the scaffold board after placing a large timber to act as a fulcrum under the board at the engine bay entrance. (There is no access from the top of the engine bay) I was lucky. I had planned it before I bought the new engine. ) the old engine mountings at the gearbox end/stern were in exactly the same place as the new mountings.

The front mountings were a trifle closer to the end of the bearers. But a template made prior, following the schematic and the dolly it was delivered on with engine mounts fixed to it and removal of the old engine, allowed me to drill the necessary new engine mount holes.

Having temporarily fitted the new mounts free of engine to the engine bearers the engine was slid into the engine bay with the board raising the engine to the necessary height to put it in the bay there was a bit of fiddling because the raw water inlet is slap in front of the engine and in the middle of the entrance so the engine had to be lifted over the top then dropped into position on the mounts. so definitely the oil pan will take the weight (BUT NOT IF YOU DROP IT)

Photos
Top Left Companion Way and Garage 2006
Top Right Engine Fitted showing vertical raw water inlet pipe and new engine fitted 2008

2nd Row
Top Left 2nd Engine view 2008

2nd Row Right Me in engine bay not a lot of room access is only through the cockpit locker very difficult to get in and out. Would be impossible in a rough sea to get in or do any work!! 2008

3rd Row Left
Me again not a lot of headroom and I am sitting down

3rd Row Right Me either foot beside the drive shaft and Volvo stern gland and dodging accelerator and forward reverse cable.

Bottom Row My wife the photographer.

Who I would like to thank for these pictures and who likes sailing but says she does not really like the boat, but is always the first to say what's the wind speed and direction and say "We must go to the port and check the boat is OK" Also when the access is to small she always says "I will do it" and she does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image013.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	31005   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050107.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	31006  

Name:	P1050106.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	31007   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050582.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	31009  

Name:	P1050581.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	31010   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050600.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	31011  

Name:	P1050593.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	31012   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050596.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	31013  

Old 31-08-2011, 12:18   #35

Thanks for the pictures Captain Mike. Looks like a good method to get the engine in place. I need to replace the engine on my other boat and will do something similar to what you did. Right now I just need to lift the engine up so I will do that with a scissor jack as Del and a few others have suggested.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33   #36

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Thanks for the pictures Captain Mike. Looks like a good method to get the engine in place. I need to replace the engine on my other boat and will do something similar to what you did. Right now I just need to lift the engine up so I will do that with a scissor jack as Del and a few others have suggested.
Don't forget to spread the load on the hull no square sharp edges please
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40   #37

Thanks for the tip on the hull I will remember that when I lift the engine this winter.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 01-09-2011, 17:44   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I have lifted hundreds of engines of all sorts. Using a scew jack, and a 2X4 on the edge, and corners of the pan one side at a time.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I have lifted hundreds of engines of all sorts. Using a scew jack, and a 2X4 on the edge, and corners of the pan one side at a time.......i2f
All I am saying is there is a first time for everything to go wrong. Just take all the precautions you can, Better safe than sorry!

Tags
engine