Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 03:58   #16
Registered User
 
Me-and-Boo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 298
Images: 19
Re: How to Lift an Engine

If lifting by using a jack under the oil pan - always - use a board to distribute the load. The bare jack head on the pan could deform it causing it to block the oil pump pickup; that is very bad.
If you have access over the engine, use it to lift your engine. It is safer for you and your engine (and transmission). There are lift plates available for almost all engines so lifting and tilting the engine is easy and safe. Attached to a winch those are good tools to do the job.
__________________

__________________
It didn't sink all the way - you can still see the mast
Me-and-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:53   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Re: How to Lift an Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Like Zeehag mentioned, I just put a board (with a step built in it) under the oil pan and used a scissor jack on my 3JH. It's easier if you do the port or stbd side first then switch. Just place the jack off center. I opened up the slotted side of the mounts to give them more free movement for adjustment.

One of the big down falls of Yanmars, the paint is not very good right out of the factory.

BTW a WD-40 misting should be parts of ones winterizing/storage.
Del I wish I had half the mechanical skill you have. Your work always looks perfect!

Yes I agree on the Yanmar paint it isn't very good. I'll see if I can find a scissor jack maybe they have one in those antique car shops LOL. The boat being in SoCal doesn't get a very good winterizing because she is in use all year.

I'll have to study what you mean by the slotted side of the mounts. Is it easier to do port and starboard as opposed to bow and stern? My engine access is much more limited then yours so that Front and back would be easier to work on.
__________________

__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:55   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Re: How to Lift an Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
If lifting by using a jack under the oil pan - always - use a board to distribute the load. The bare jack head on the pan could deform it causing it to block the oil pump pickup; that is very bad.
If you have access over the engine, use it to lift your engine. It is safer for you and your engine (and transmission). There are lift plates available for almost all engines so lifting and tilting the engine is easy and safe. Attached to a winch those are good tools to do the job.
Thanks MB no access from the top. I actually have an old diesel engine in the garage that I am going to try and lift with a basketball this weekend.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 11:57   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: How to Lift an Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I'll have to study what you mean by the slotted side of the mounts. Is it easier to do port and starboard as opposed to bow and stern? My engine access is much more limited then yours so that Front and back would be easier to work on.
The design problem is the slot is straight but should be on a radius in relation to the hole on the other end. If one uses the 12 mm bolts and tries to swivel the mount, the straight slot digs into the threads of the bolt causing a bind. And when you try to tighten the bolt it moves the mount. IAW the round hole should be tight on the 12 mm bolt but loose at the slotted end with a heavy washer to cover the slot.

One spends all that time trying to get an alignment and then when one tightens the bolt it moves the mount. What were they thinking?

As for jacking the motor, front to back should work too. Just protect that oil pan with as much surface contact as possible. Even some kind of cushion between the board and pan helps. I took a board and sprayed foam on it, covered it with plastic and shoved it up under the motor. Now I have a memory bed that I keep on board with a scissor jack just in case I need to jack the motor in an emergency.

The board covers the complete bottom of the pan, and I can move the jack around where ever I want it, fore, aft, P/S.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 12:14   #20
Registered User
 
svHyLyte's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area, USA
Boat: Beneteau First 42
Posts: 3,432
Images: 25
Re: How to Lift an Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Like Zeehag mentioned, I just put a board (with a step built in it) under the oil pan and used a scissor jack on my 3JH. It's easier if you do the port or stbd side first then switch. Just place the jack off center. I opened up the slotted side of the mounts to give them more free movement for adjustment.

One of the big down falls of Yanmars, the paint is not very good right out of the factory.

BTW a WD-40 misting should be parts of ones winterizing/storage.

Jeeze--What I would give to have access to our engine like that...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 12:17   #21
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: How to lift an Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I don't know that I'd want to be painting the mounts under an engine being supported by a basketball.

(Of course, my solution would be just to spray the mounts with Corrosion Block and forget about the paint.)
Exactly!!!!! Why make work when you don't have to?
__________________
"Money won't buy you happiness but it will allow you to buy a yacht big enough to pull up along side it"
"Please Lord be kind to me your sea is so wide and my boat is so small"
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 12:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Re: How to Lift an Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The design problem is the slot is straight but should be on a radius in relation to the hole on the other end. If one uses the 12 mm bolts and tries to swivel the mount, the straight slot digs into the threads of the bolt causing a bind. And when you try to tighten the bolt it moves the mount. IAW the round hole should be tight on the 12 mm bolt but loose at the slotted end with a heavy washer to cover the slot.

One spends all that time trying to get an alignment and then when one tightens the bolt it moves the mount. What were they thinking?

As for jacking the motor, front to back should work too. Just protect that oil pan with as much surface contact as possible. Even some kind of cushion between the board and pan helps. I took a board and sprayed foam on it, covered it with plastic and shoved it up under the motor. Now I have a memory bed that I keep on board with a scissor jack just in case I need to jack the motor in an emergency.

The board covers the complete bottom of the pan, and I can move the jack around where ever I want it, fore, aft, P/S.
Thanks now I understand what you mean by the slot. I like the idea of the memory board that will make it really easy to lift the engine in the future. This engine is only a few years old and looks good:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1100267...23315067565682

The engine on my other boat doesn't look so nice:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1100267...49264822266450

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:34   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: How to Lift an Engine

There are actually lift bags, air jacks, sold to lift cars using their exhaust or an air pump to blow up the bag. More expensive than a basketball but also larger and designed for the purpose.

Either way you'd need to disconnect the propshaft before lifting, reconnect and align afterwards.

Unless you engine mounts are solid, you might want to replace them at the same time, since rubber engine mounts are intended for about a 5-year life. At that point the rubber gets stiff and they stop absorbing as much vibration, and are more likely to crack as the rubber ages. While the engine is off them...
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:10   #24
Registered User
 
Play Actor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising the Caribbean
Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor
Posts: 119
Re: How to Lift an Engine

I agree with the suggestion that you replace the mounts if you're going to all that trouble. Paint the new ones before you put them in.
__________________
Bud Dougherty
Aboard Play Actor
www.voyagesoftheplayactor.blogspot.com
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:14   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: How to Lift an Engine

"Paint the new ones before "
Not if they are rubber mounts! Painting rubber causes it to degrade. Paint any metal by all means, just not the rubber.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:50   #26
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: How to Lift an Engine

I still say crowbars are the easiest. There was never enough space under my engine for a jack. But, two crowbars and a few wooden blocks will allow one to lift the engine up to any height as long as you have enough blocks. But, to change the motor mounts you only need a few inches and you can put the crowbars under the engine brackets and never go near the oil pan.
__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:00   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,769
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: How to Lift an Engine

wow .. no one mentioned the only way a solo female can get an engine lifted.....

first wear skimpoy clothing

go to place strong not too dumb men hang out...not with alcohol, or not too much , anyway--might wanna do this before 1100 am.....

find 2 BIG boys, preferably named bubba or some such.

one on each side of engine,
1...
2..

LIFT!

reward with beers....

havent had failure of that method yet....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:42   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Re: How to Lift an Engine

@Zeehag: I don't think that will work for me. LOL.

@HS and PA that is a good idea. I will have a look for them.

@ MB I have lots of room under the engine. I think that it will work out fine with a jack.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 19:24   #29
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Boat: Thompson Trawler, SUITE 44
Posts: 73
Re: How to Lift an Engine

Why not a 2"x4" and pry up on the front pully. Once up place a few blocks under the engine to stablize. We have pulled a few engines in our time and to get them off of the mounts we just took a board and with a little leverage it would pop up. Once we slid the engine out from under the cockpit we would lift them with the boom.
__________________
Absolute,

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 20:50   #30
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: How to Lift an Engine

DO NOT LIFT BY THE OIL PAN WITH JACKS!!! In most cases, that is sheet metal. There is a reason the put lifting rings on the head.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Challenge: Engine Diagnosis Celestialsailor Challenges 195 12-02-2013 20:23
Cruisers Stranded - in Need of Advice Bright Eyes Engines and Propulsion Systems 61 02-08-2011 11:47
Stalling Universal 5424 Engine ryderstk Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 27-07-2011 10:20
1977 Crusader 454 350HP Engine Alarm pkrawetzky Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 16-07-2011 09:16
Engine Vibrating Violently when Shifting to Neutral Heikki Engines and Propulsion Systems 24 13-07-2011 08:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.