Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-02-2015, 09:23   #16

Boat: Irwin, Sloop 27
Re: How to jack up diesel to replace motor mount?

Sorry Glen.225 has already been there, done that I apparently did read all the post. It is good to know the method is proven effective.

Thanks Glen.225

Old 08-02-2015, 11:12   #17

Boat: Taswell 49

I really appreciate the expertise on this forum. Sorry but I'd like to step back a few steps. I have Taswell 49. A mechanic doing maintenance work previously told me I should consider replacing my Yanmar mounts. They are original (1993) but look fine to me, as a layman. What should I look for?

Replacing them myself does no worry me. Do they need to be Yanmar mounts or are there third party mounts that are better/less expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Old 08-02-2015, 11:39   #18

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

The Yanmar mounts will be correctly sized for the weight and vibration characteristics of your particular engine; front and rear mounts are often different part #'s. 3rd party mounts need only meet that spec.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:04   #19

Boat: Moody 33S

This is current for me and a related problem - unsure if I should be on a different thread. I have a Yanmar 3YM30 which has developed a vibration at around 2800rpm.

I believe alignment is ok and a mechanic has told me its perhaps a rear mount with the rubbers detached from mount or an out of balance prop. (prop is 14x14rh) I had the prop balanced (static) but on review the blades are not all concentric with an out of alignment in the fore/aft plane of about 1/4" to 5/16" over the 3 blades. Will this cause the vibrations?? I also believe my shaft is not bent.

Anyway back to the mounts, if it is detached rubber I will have to change the mount which is a yanmar product and installed 2008

advice welcome
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17   #20

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacaranda View Post
...the blades are not all concentric with an out of alignment in the fore/aft plane of about 1/4" to 5/16" over the 3 blades...

Have the prop serviced.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:20   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Booms, hoists, basketballs....Someone actually makes or made air lift bags for this purpose and jacking up cars...whatever you use, do rig some cribbing aka "jackstands" under the engine to fully support the weight while it is "lifted" up. Jacks, hoists, all fall down from time to time and I'd rather waste my time with cribbing that just ain't gonna let something fall on top of me. I'm gravitationally impaired, I can't seem to turn the gravity off.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:26   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Replaced the Yanmar mounts with aftermarket mounts. The Yanmar mounts looked fine but came out in pieces. The rubber had deteriorated.

Changed to aftermarket mounts because the huge size of the Yanmar mounts didn't allow the engine to fit where it should. If anything, the aftermarket mounts work better than the originals.

Pulled the engine using a 4x4 across the companion way and a 'come along'.
Old 08-02-2015, 13:42   #23
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

There was an outfit out of Australia that was selling some good mounts, I don't remember the name of the company though, I'll look around and see if I can find them.
Old 08-02-2015, 15:36   #24

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	96849

Had my VP2003 out last winter.I can't improve on the many good suggestions on how to lift back end.I can tell you it is quite light,compared to front end,so any method that fits will work.suggest you have a piece of 2x4 to put across under transmission-anything that can't collapse for safety's sake.
I needed an electric wrench/gun,as used by tire changers,with a 6point 25mm socket,though a 6pt 1" socket will work.Remove both rear 25mm top nuts.Try not to disturb nuts under the eng brkt-these will affect alignment if moved.
If you find these lower nuts are beat up & adjusting stud is worn/stripped,PM me.
No need to touch frt mounts-they are very flexible,though you should inspect the "flex rubber" very carefully in all 4 mounts.They are prone to breaking on these eng. Leave the portion of mount that is bolted to hull until you have done the above,jacked & blocked the eng.
After you get mount in the sunlight,you disassemble it to replace the rubber portion-VP only supplies the rubber,for$180.
While you're at it,inspect the 2 brackets that are bolted to back of eng.,that the mounts att. to-one of mine was cracked & I got it welded.
Good luck / Len

Here is pic of broken stbd frt mount.
There is a very recent post on here that has a link to an alt. source of aftermarket mounts-not any cheaper,but better/safer design.Post is under "Boat Rollover".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005 (2).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	96850
Old 08-02-2015, 16:18   #25

Realigning the motor, as mentioned above, is critical. I learned the hard way that it has to be absolutely perfect or all sorts of damage results. Near enough is not good enough!
Old 08-02-2015, 21:19   #26

I had a major disaster with a heavy old Ford 590 E series 6 cylinder monster requiring all the mounts to be changed and to cut a long story short, I individually supported each position with wedges and then removed each engine mount and bracket. Care and caution required. Assume the worst will happen. Be good to the wife.

Remember that if you change flexible mounts, that coupling re-alignment will be essential. I would also ensure that the shaft spins freely by hand as well. Also check the alignment at the recommended period. (As the actress said to the bishop "The quality of the mounting matters and please, monitor the shaft seal".)
Old 09-02-2015, 08:36   #27

Lots of replies to this! I did it like this

* Undo your shaft
* loosen all mounts to allow engine to rise up
* use the bottom nut on the one you want to replace to wind the engine right to the top of the thread.
* Block-off the engine with blocks/wedges
* unbolt the one that you want to replace and wiggle it out
* wiggle the new one in and bolt it up

and sometimes you can take the mounting bracket off the side of the engine to give a bit more wiggle space.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13   #28

Having done this job with a Volvo MD17D... in my Contest36... it was obvious that raising the engine to clear the engine mount bolts was a non starter.

The ONLY means to remove the mount was to unbolt the bracket from the engine AND the mount from the stringer and lift them both out.

This was not terribly difficult once the "things" in the way were removed so I could get a wrench or a ratchet on the nuts.

Raising and supporting the engine was not only not going to help, it wasn't an option. If the engine needed to be removed... the same procedure would be necessary BUT it would have to be held by a hoist and moved forward and them out the companionway.

But for the mount replacement... all that I had to do with the MD17D was remove brackets and mounts from the stringer one at a time, shore engine of course. And then bolt on the new mount to the stringer, then the bracket to the engine and raise the height adjustment nuts.

For coupling alignment once all four were replaced I used a crow bar to jimmy the engine to position before dog down the nuts. Remove the shoring once the four new mounts are [place and the height adjustment nuts raised... so the mounts not the shoring is supporting the engine.

I don't see why this approach would not work for other engines and why others are suggesting hanging the engine. Seems to me way more work than necessary.

Please explain.

Tags
diesel, motor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: