Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 20:27   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
How to check engine mounts

My engine seems to vibrate a lot. I do not know if this is normal or not but I would like to somehow check the engine mounts. Is there a way of doing this without actually removing the mount from the engine? I am a bit concerned about having to do a realignment iif I separate mount and engine.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 20:45   #2
Jd1

Re: How to check engine mounts

Anyone ?
Old 28-05-2016, 00:15   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

You might get more feedback if you include more info, like what engine model. Is the vibration only in gear or in idle too? At a specific rpm or all rpms? How old are the mounts? How well does the engine run in general?
Old 28-05-2016, 00:27   #4
Jd1

Thanks Paul,
I didn't want to make this question about my engine setup in particular which is why I did not add these details. For the record, my setup is a Universal M35B engine with the standard alternator replaced with a Balmer AT200, serpentine belt and MC614 external regulator.
The engine has just over 1000 hrs on it, is a 2006 (original mounts) and runs well. The vibration seems to be at all rpm with more at idle but I have no idea what is normal so it might be just normal diesel type vibration.
To sum it up, I am not too worried about the engine and things but would like to check the mounts if it is possible to do so without having to remove the mounts .... call it preventative maintenance.
Old 28-05-2016, 03:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Motor mounts can be visually inspected for cracked, loose or broken brackets, loose or missing bolts, or collapsed rubber. A pry bar can be used to check for separated or broken mounts.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 05:40   #6
Jd1

Thanks Gord !
Old 28-05-2016, 06:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi JD

Diesels in general do tend to vibrate a lot more than a gas engine and more vibration at idle is also common. Increased vibration in gear and more or less vibration at certain rpms might be a sigh that the engine alignment is off.

If this is your first boat diesel then hard to say if you are getting more than normal vibration. Any chance you can get on another boat for a ride to make a comparison?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 14:38   #8
Jd1

A follow up on today's tests - the mount that I was having concerns with seems to be fine based on the prybar test! The valve cover, at idle, seems to move about 1/4" sideways which I don't think is excessive (especially at idle) but I wanted to check the mounts just to be sure.
Thanks!
Old 05-06-2016, 16:16   #9

Boat: islandpacket

Get a cheap Lazer tachometer and compair it to your engine tach. It may just be set at to slow an idle some can really jump around if running to slow. Bump your throttle up a bit and see if it does better.
Old 07-06-2016, 14:30   #10

if you are really concerned about vibration and not sure of mount condition (visible anyway), I would undo the shaft connection and push shaft back. If it is not aligned then motor may have dropped due to mount deflection/degradation. I did it to mine and found the mounts had dropped about 1/2 inch. Changed them out, realigned, easy by the way, and have a lot less vibration. New mounts had motor about 3/4 inch higher using the same bolt height placement from the old ones. well worth the time and effort.

Tags
engine