Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 06:34   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
How To Change Injectors VP2003

I want to change the injectors on my VP2003 - any instructions or source of instructions welcome...

Also from where to buy to get the best price ?

How risky is the changing procedure ? e.g. what can go really wrong etc. ?
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:50   #2

Re: How To Change Injectors VP2003

Not terribly difficult. first thing...vacuum the areas around the injectors to remove any dirt, dust, metal or paint particles. You really dont want anything falling into the cylinders. Then remove the return lines and feed lines Then loosen the bolts that hold the injectors to the head. With a little rotating-back and forth- the injectors pull straight out of the head.

If they are really tight fit a socket on the injector case and turn as far as possible clockwise to loosen. I had two that were really tight. I put the others back in the sockets and loosely bolted them down. Then I turned the ignition to rotate the engine a few times. The compression freed the tight injectors.

A service shop can clean and adjust them. Cost me $50 (US) per.

Reinstall in reverse with new crush washers. Before you torque them down, align with the feed lines.
Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
I want to change the injectors on my VP2003 - any instructions or source of instructions welcome...

Also from where to buy to get the best price ?

How risky is the changing procedure ? e.g. what can go really wrong etc. ?
If it's like most VP's... And I think it is... Special puller required... Risk of pulling the sleeve with a home brew tool empties your cooling system into the crankcase...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 07:25   #4

The injectors on the 2003 sit in a copper tube which is swedged into the cylinder head at the lower end, and the tube has an O ring around the upper end to prevent coolant leaks. The contact between the flat inside base of the tube and the flat portion of the bottom of the injector creates the compression seal between the two parts. There should not be a washer below the injector.

The greatest danger when removing injectors is that the copper tube pulls out of the head along with the injector, allowing the coolant in the head to flow into the cylinder. If this happens the coolant in the engine will have to be drained down a bit and the coolant which went into the cylinder pumped out of the cylinder with a small tube, and a new copper swedged in with a special tool.

The injectors can be taken to a diesel injection shop and rebuilt. This means having the injector tip replaced with a new tip and having the opening pressure correctly set by shimming the internal spring. Much less expensive than new injectors.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:29   #5

Boat: Casacde 36

Why not save some grief and drain the coolant first? Vacuum off the area to remove debris, then , if they're tight, a little penetrating oil, left overnight, may work.
After replacing, rent a tester and pressurize the cooling system , once again, leave pressured overnight. There should be NO loss of pressure.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:22   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

When I did mine, I didn't have enough topside clearance for a proper puller. A vice-grip with plastic pads on the jaws gave me enough leverage to work them loose -- carefully!

The holding clamps on mine are secured with cap screws rather than studs and nuts. As a result, the clamps do not come off separately from the injectors. You loosen the clamps as much as you can, then loosen the injector, loosen the clamps ... injector ... etc etc.

Follow comments re draining coolant. If you have any leaking around the injector seat (between the injector and the seat, not between the seat and head) the copper sleeve can be burnished in place. If you need to go that route, I suggest an experienced mechanic do it. I know of one successful DIY, but experience really counts here.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:27   #7

Smear some anti-seize on the injectors before reinstall. Then no issue of pulling the copper out next time
mark maulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
Not terribly difficult. first thing...vacuum the areas around the injectors to remove any dirt, dust, metal or paint particles. You really dont want anything falling into the cylinders. Then remove the return lines and feed lines Then loosen the bolts that hold the injectors to the head. With a little rotating-back and forth- the injectors pull straight out of the head.

If they are really tight fit a socket on the injector case and turn as far as possible clockwise to loosen. I had two that were really tight. I put the others back in the sockets and loosely bolted them down. Then I turned the ignition to rotate the engine a few times. The compression freed the tight injectors.

A service shop can clean and adjust them. Cost me $50 (US) per.

Reinstall in reverse with new crush washers. Before you torque them down, align with the feed lines.
Bob
Just had to remove my injectors in a very old Yanmar 2QM. Had to use a pulling rig that took advantage of the studs. But never thought to rotate the pistons. Great idea!
cjsfsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:54   #9

Boat: Casacde 36

One other thing.....Do NOT bend the injector lines to get them out of the way when removing injectors. Undo both ends and remove the lines, cap the open ports, on the pump, to keep them scrupulously clean.
Bending injector lines ultimately causes them to fail near the connections, at a most inconvenient time (for you!).
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:04   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
If it's like most VP's... And I think it is... Special puller required... Risk of pulling the sleeve with a home brew tool empties your cooling system into the crankcase...

Duramax is that way, so I drained the coolant first and got lucky I guess, all eight sleeves stayed put. I did pop for the special puller though, only used it for a couple.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 15:06   #11

Boat: Coast 30

All the suggestions thus far are valid,
1 drain down the coolant level,

2 scrupulously clean the top of the cylinder head of dirt and debris especially the copper cup that the injectors are recessed into.

3 pour a very small quantity of WD 40, liquid wrench, or other suitable penetrating oil product into the copper cups and leave for 24 hours

4 while this soak it happening. Focus on the point that while the engine is Volvo Penta, The entire fuel system is BOSCH. This will save you a lot of money. find A Bosch dealer and ask for an old union nut that is identical to the one that holds the fuel line on. This can then be used to make a slide hammer puller. Buy or acquire a 8 inch long 1/2 diameter bolt. Drill and tap a hole in the end of it. So that a screw can be passed through the union nut and the head will loosely retain it there on the end of the bolt. You will also need a heavy weight with a half inch hole through it to slide on the bolt.

5 disconnect the lines and the clamps...and attach your home made slide hammer to the thread on the end of the injector. Drawing the weight up with a slight slamming action against the head of the bolt should extract the injectors without affecting the press fit of the copper cups.

6 have the injectors rebuilt by the Bosch authorised service centre.

7 replace injectors using the seals the service centre will invariably provide and put never seize grease on the bottom end of the injector before inserting. the spare union nut can be placed on the top of the injector and tapper with a soft mallet.

8 replace clamps and fuel lines.

Final suggestion fit a suredrive made by 'Next wave marine systems inc' of Qualicum Beach Canada into the flywheel/ bell housing of your engine. To protect your 20 tooth drive spline from shearing. This joint between the engine and transmission is known for failure. of course if you have already sheared it then you really need to call them as they ship to anywhere in the world. and since that requires no modification machining whatsoever you can install it with the simple tools provided and be on your way immediately.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote