Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-02-2016, 03:01   #1

How to Bleed my Yanmar GM30 fuel line

Can somebody walk me through the procedure of bleeding the air from the fuel line of my Yanmar GM 30 F diesel?

All help truly appreciated.

Thanks folks,

G2L

Old 27-02-2016, 06:00   #2

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: How to Bleed my Yanmar GM30 fuel line

There are two bolts that take 10 mm wrenches. One is on top of the engine starboard side the other is above the fuel pump. You need to find them. The rest is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 27-02-2016, 07:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bleeding GM Series Engines:

1. Open the small BLEED SCREW on top of the engine mounted fuel filter and operate the fuel lift pump by hand*.

2. After the fuel filter has been purged of air, close the bleed screw (don't do it too tight, it's only little) and open the one on the fuel injection pump.

3. Again, after the air has been purged, close the bleed screw.

- The engine should now start, if not you will have to bleed the high pressure side as follows:

4. Crack the pipe nut at each injector, open the decompression levers and rotate the engine with the starter motor.

5. When the air appears to have been purged (the fuel looks clear, not whitish or frothy), tighten the nuts firmly, close the decompression levers and start the engine.

- Check for leaks and clean up any spilt fuel.

* If the HAND PRIMING LEVER doesn't have any resistance through any of its travel, rotate the engine crankshaft through 360deg. Use the starter motor or crank handle.
There is no resistance to the hand priming lever because the internal actuating arm is on the top of the cam that drives it. Rotating the engine crankshaft 360deg will turn the camshaft 180deg, the arm will now be on the back of it's cam and you should feel resistance when operating the hand priming lever.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
-----* If the HAND PRIMING LEVER doesn't have any resistance through any of its travel, rotate the engine crankshaft through 360deg. Use the starter motor or crank handle.
There is no resistance to the hand priming lever because the internal actuating arm is on the top of the cam that drives it. Rotating the engine crankshaft 360deg will turn the camshaft 180deg, the arm will now be on the back of it's cam and you should feel resistance when operating the hand priming lever.
After all these years I never knew that. Duh.
Thanks Gord.
Old 27-02-2016, 08:31   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

The hand priming pump lever moves about 1.5 inches but only the last .25 inch actually pumps fuel. You will not feel any resistance for the first 1.25 inches of the stroke. That is normal.
Old 27-02-2016, 08:32   #6

Quote:

1. Open the small BLEED SCREW on top of the engine mounted fuel filter and operate the fuel lift pump by hand*.

2. After the fuel filter has been purged of air, close the bleed screw (don't do it too tight, it's only little) and open the one on the fuel injection pump.

- The engine should now start, if not you will have to bleed the high pressure side as follows:

4. Crack the pipe nut at each injector, open the decompression levers and rotate the engine with the starter motor.

5. When the air appears to have been purged (the fuel looks clear, not whitish or frothy), tighten the nuts firmly, close the decompression levers and start the engine.

* If the HAND PRIMING LEVER doesn't have any resistance through any of its travel, rotate the engine crankshaft through 360deg. Use the starter motor or crank handle.
Thank you sir - very helpful.

My fuel line is made of see-through reinforced chem hose, so it seems obvious from observing the line that the fuel is not milky and has no bubbles in it.

So, perhaps water in the fuel is not the problem, but a clogged fuel filter or fuel feed pump is the real issue.

Your thoughts?

G2L
Old 27-02-2016, 08:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
There are two bolts that take 10 mm wrenches. One is on top of the engine starboard side the other is above the fuel pump. You need to find them. The rest is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks for the wrench specs.

Looks right.

G2L
Old 27-02-2016, 08:53   #8

My Fuel Filter Pump and Lever Seem to be Unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
The hand priming pump lever moves about 1.5 inches but only the last .25 inch actually pumps fuel. You will not feel any resistance for the first 1.25 inches of the stroke. That is normal.
The interesting part ls that the lever on my fuel feed pump seems to not match your description above, and it seems to have nothing to do with the internal lever that runs off the cam on most GM30 diesels.

For instance, the lever on my pump does not move more than 1/3 inch in any direction. Also, it is situated under the fuel feed pump in a forward to aft configuration, while my service manual shows a pump with the cam lever screwed into the interior, starboard side of the pump, connecting to the cam from starboard to port. The lever shown does not protrude outside of the fuel feed pump casing, and is accessed by loosening a screw on the outside of the casing. Worth noting is that my engine is an early 90's model.

Not sure why my lever is so odd or what function it may have. The service manual illustration suggests that there may be different types of fuel feed pumps that may come with the engine.

Any input is welcomed.

G2L
Old 01-03-2016, 09:59   #9

Clsarification plus photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Clarification: The hand-controlled lever on the fuel feed pump moves perhaps .75 inches total. When in a horizontal position, I can push down on the lever about .25 inches, and this is where I can feel a slight amount of resistance. Pushing the lever .5 inches upwards from its horizontal position offers no resistance at all.

Also, the stock, fuel feed pump is old and apparently dysfunctional, judging by the fact that the previous owner installed an electric pump and fuel filter, positioned BEFORE the mechanical pump and stock fuel pump. We have replaced both the PO's parts with newer parts.

Please note this clarification and the attached photos; then, let me know what you think the problem might be. Note that the photos may need to be rotated, in order to be useful.

Thanks,

G2L
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	+ fuel pump photo 1 - bottom view, rotate 180 - mine.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	119868   Click image for larger version

Name:	+ fuel pump photo 2 - side view - rotate 360 - mine.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	119869  

Old 01-03-2016, 10:09   #10

Please see my latest photos and responses to Liam

Quote:

Gord,

Please see my latest photos responses to Liam. They will help to define the situation.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your expertise w. newbies like me.

Best regards,

G2L
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34   #11

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

G2l,
I believe the return spring on your lever is not functioning. It should rise to the top of its travel when released.

Indeed the pumping part of the stroke is near the bottom of the total movement of the lever. About a quarter inch or so to my eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_1947-20160301_122754-2058770863.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	119873  
Old 01-03-2016, 10:53   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-II

After bleeding the secondary/engine mounted fuel filter, I loosen the bleed bolt on top of the injection pump and bleed it until fuel flows. I rarely, if ever, have to bleed the individual injectors unless air entered the fuel system beyond the injection pump. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:07   #13

Boat: islandpacket

Did you replace the filters? Wont start? The fuel pump only moves fuel to the high pressure injector pump. Once fuel is bled to the injector pump you MUST crank the engine to get fuel through the injector pump and then bled at each injector. This CANNOT be done without cranking the engine. Did you replace the banjo washers at the lift pump? Common problem lots of info here.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:21   #14
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to Bleed my Yanmar GM30 fuel line

Or.. you could be lazy like me and perma fit a rubber bulb pump into your line at a handy spot then crack open the furthest injector and start squeezing..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 18:20   #15

Boat: islandpacket

Yeah that wont work. Lol

Tags
yanmar, fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: