Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 19:03   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: How much water in diesel is to much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
Re. adding a measure of sealing protection to flush-mounted deck fillers: I removed each slightly convex fuel filler cap, cleaned the internal sealing surface of the filling tube carefully, and smeared Vaseline over the screw-in cap's O-ring to make sure the filler cap seals properly.
Better still get them off the deck.
Can they be retrofitted in the cabin sides?
Ours come up through furniture and are 1 metre up.
Never see any water.
Quote:
Sea Biscuit's tanks have drain taps at the lowest points; when we checked her last week, we only drained old fuel.
and that's all you should get out of a properly designed setup
Quote:
two things I take away from this thread: I will colour code the fuel and water caps, and I want to know more about what people suggest is the best annual tank treatment..
If you get them in the cabin sides 1 inch vinyl "water" in blue and "diesel" in red.
Best annual fuel treatment shouldn't be needed, especially with such small tanks IMHO.
Just use the fuel and drain a bit off every month or so for inspection, thats what we do, then tip it back in as its always spotless.
Zero water, zero crud
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 20:15   #32

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Re. adding a measure of sealing protection to flush-mounted deck fillers: I removed each slightly convex fuel filler cap, cleaned the internal sealing surface of the filling tube carefully, and smeared Vaseline over the screw-in cap's O-ring to make sure the filler cap seals properly.

Sea Biscuit's tanks have drain taps at the lowest points; when we checked her last week, we only drained old fuel.

Two things I take away from this thread: I will colour code the fuel and water caps, and I want to know more about what people suggest is the best annual tank treatment. Sea Biscuit has 2 x 600+litre stainless steel tanks, and I would like them to stay pristine! Thanks to everyone; excellent thread.
With all Respect Kit L.
I would not recommend Vasline as lubricant on a rubber o-ring as it is a petroleum derivative.
Silicon grease only.
If you got the nitrile o-ring, Vasline is ok on those.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 21:19   #33

a)
Water in petroleum fuels such as gasoline or diesel turns your internal combustion engine into a steam engine.

For the short time the engine operates before calling a union meeting to discuss benefits, you will discover the combustion chambers clean-as-new slick-as-a-whistle. After you dismantle the engine to replace a few on-strike parts.

I may have some experience in the matter.

b)
I saw the response about dual pick-ups, one 'constant-use' going to your day-tank with a gap between pick-up and bottom of tank for running the engine from the day-tank, the longer going to the bottom of the sump for removing settled contaminants. Good idea.

A polishing system makes sense.

Lubing O-rings? Seems like fuel would instantly worsh off the lube...
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 05:02   #34

Boat: Hylas 49

If you are drinking water how much diesel would you want in your water tank? That’s how much water I want in my diesel tank.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, water