Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 21:29   #31

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: How is the water getting into my engine?

My first engine got flooded by following seas. After I replaced it, I installed a 2 inch diameter nylon seacock (the exhaust gases, by this stage are well cooled by seawater discharge from the engine). When I feel the need to shut off the exhaust, I hang the ignition key on the closed valve, forcing me to open the valve to start the engine.

Also, my HydroLift muffler has a drain so that if I am having difficulty starting the engine, the water drains into the bilge instead of filling the exhaust hose. The picture shows some loose wiring, which was from wome work I was doing in the engine room at the time of the photo. Click on the pic to enlarge it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WILDERNESS 002.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	104358  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:42   #32

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
Re: How is the water getting into my engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Gordon View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far. A couple of people have mentioned anti-syphon valves and I am curious. In my original post I mentioned mixing elbow but what I really have attached to the exhaust manifold is a Westerbeke "exhaust elbow riser" (their name, not mine) similar to this:

Westerbeke 37403 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

Would something like this have a back flow preventer or anti syphon in it by default? If it does and that has failed, it is most likely where my problem is.

Cheers,

Grant
I also have a universal 3 cyl (5424) with the same elbow. I replaced it years ago as it was leaking just below where the manifold pipe entered. Now my engine failed to start due to leaking exhaust valves (2 and 3). The pistons also were pitted horribly due to water intrusion . The number 1 cyl was ok. This damage apparently occurred slowly as the engine required more and more cranking to start. My heat exchanger is located higher than the elbow and I assume the water began siphoning into the manifold in small amounts to affect the back 2 valves. I will be installing a siphon break after I rebuild the engine (only 6000 hrs).

a
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, water