Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 02:58   #16

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: How do you stop a Diesel Motor

Sometimes you're just screwed.

Pulling the shutoff at the engine didn't work.
You had no tools.
Blocking the air didn't work.
Compression release didn't work.

Three ways you tried to shut off the engine and none worked. Either you were doing it wrong or the engine needed preventative maintenance before an emergency or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Recently i was on a boat and had to stop the motor, but pulling the stop didn't work, we then tracked the cable and tried manually all to no avail, we phoned a "friend" he suggested pulling off the air filter cover and starve it of air this may have worked if we had gear with us to do it.

the boat had trouble going into and out of gear so stopping the engine was called for, and we did not want to sit and wait for the fuel to run out then bleed the engine to make it run again if we were to turn off the fuel lines

i have never run across this issue before and wondered if there is a way to kill the motor quickly
Quote:
although we tried some of these we didn't try the complete blocking of the air (we had not enough tools to remove the rest of the gear) we had thought that rags would have worked.

We Had an old clunker but it did have decompression levers which when activated failed to work (or at least in 30-60 seconds)

to be honest we never tried to stop the fuel at the motor like that as it was difficult to get to the injectors with the motor running and hot
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:24   #17

Remember that a friend had an old Volvo diesel engine on his boat. Often he had truoble with air in the system, the engine wonīt run or stopped running in diff situations. Why donīt you cut the diesel intake hose? Or open the filter, so air should stop diesel injection...one bubble and it stopps.
Close the air intake with a pvc-bag...
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:01   #18

Boat: 45ft ketch

whats the make and model of your engine
sailfish2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05   #19

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

That stop cable attaches to some sort of a fuel flow blocker in the fuel pump.Trace it back, and see what happens when you disconnect the cable.
Old 06-03-2014, 13:22   #20

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish2008 View Post
whats the make and model of your engine
i don't know the details, the boat was not mine, just when it happened we did mostly what everyone has said but failed for one reason or another.
(i thought it was a worthwhile question to the forum as i'm not a mechanic) Mainly to see if a quick simple solution was available that i had overlooked
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 13:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
That stop cable attaches to some sort of a fuel flow blocker in the fuel pump.Trace it back, and see what happens when you disconnect the cable.
We actually did this as a first step, but nothing worked, the cable was actually working but when the lever attached to the cable was pushed in it didn't work, we disconnected and tried manually but all to no avail
Old 06-03-2014, 13:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
Remember that a friend had an old Volvo diesel engine on his boat. Often he had truoble with air in the system, the engine wonīt run or stopped running in diff situations. Why donīt you cut the diesel intake hose? Or open the filter, so air should stop diesel injection...one bubble and it stopps.
Close the air intake with a pvc-bag...
This is where we went wrong i didn't have tools to disconnect the filter etc so i just used rags around the complete air intake this wasn't good enough (although we did not notice any slowing or starving of the motor) we did this only for about 1-2 minutes and pulled the de compression levers at the same time but we didn't appear to be making it stop (the motor was in idle in reverse and we were going backwards slowly) if we had more tools we would have been OK i think but at least i have learnt a few things here on the forum
Old 06-03-2014, 13:37   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Throw a line into the water and make a few 3 point turns...

As stated... with the the intake starving method, the seal has to be pretty good and strong and flat... Other than that... all you got is the fuel feed if you can't reach the injectors... Or the extinguisher trick ...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 13:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Throw a line into the water and make a few 3 point turns...

As stated... with the the intake starving method, the seal has to be pretty good and strong and flat... Other than that... all you got is the fuel feed if you can't reach the injectors... Or the extinguisher trick ...
yes i agree, but didn't know about the extinguisher trick we got it stopped by the fuel feed but that took a while for it to run out, luckily for us it started again without bleeding, if there is a next time the flat board or book will get a run over the intake
Old 06-03-2014, 14:20   #25

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
yes i agree, but didn't know about the extinguisher trick we got it stopped by the fuel feed but that took a while for it to run out, luckily for us it started again without bleeding, if there is a next time the flat board or book will get a run over the intake
Agreed. My plan had been to use rags to cut airflow. Will reach for a book or solid object instead. Thanks all.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 17:14   #26

Only somewhat related to the other solutions about your problem, I wonder if the stop lever on the injection pump was slipping on the shaft, and was not turning the shut off shaft. They usually have a clamp nut that tightens the lever onto the shaft, and it may have vibrated loose. Just another thing to look for the next time it happens (hopefully never again). ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 19:22   #27
Marine Service Provider

look for videos online for "runaway diesel engine"....enjoy...my favorite you will note that comments have been disables for that video..LOL....too many crazy commenters I guess? But seriously...don't most diesels these days have both stop and start solenoids? Yes? So isn't it likely that this was really just a cable connection or electrical connection issue of some sort for the stop solenoid? I hope one of the more experienced diesel folks out there would discuss if it is possible to disconnect the stop solenoid? Do I have this backwards or am I confused? What about installing an emergency stop lever that would close off the air intake for such a situation? But these things are extremely rare in my experience. What say ye???
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 19:44   #28

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The only likely electrical on a diesel that old will be the simple starting and charging systems. Probably had mechanical oil pressure and temperature gauges, even.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 20:55   #29

The boat was built in the 70's the motor is possibly original, apart from the wires to and from the battery and starter motor i can't recall seeing any other wires.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:38   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

aclmck:

Cut off the air flow with a hardback book. It'll work.

A.

Tags
diesel, motor