Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 19:12   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: How do you hot-start a sailboat engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Exactly, and this is why you don't want to put the 14V directly to the coil, she will run fine until the coil burns out. Jumper the wires at the back of the switch and your using the system as designed, run a hot wire directly to the coil and you may burn it out, not all coils require external resistors as I recall though, no idea about Volvo.
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
A smarter class of old car or boat thief is a good thing. Otherwise you might not get far. I once or twice stole something by hot wiring it and once one quit in just 3 miles. Wait a few minutes and it would go another few miles .You kind of need to turn around.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 19:23   #17

Boat: Cal 2-27

Lots of good advice.

I particularly like the (fun) suggestion of hitching to a fast moving cigarette boat and tow starting it.....

Also from another, "find a stretch of water with a slope, start pushing, and when you get it up to speed then...."

But back to the good help. Thanks for the advice on how to start from the wires at the back of the switch, made good sense.

Also from another to buy a new switch with keys and wire it in. Will do.

Will also ensure the blower switch (we believe that's the push/pull knob,) turns on the bilge blower before we start.

Thanks to all. I'll be back for more advice.... I could fill a book with what I don't know.

Richard
Richard-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 21:37   #18

My concern is that somebody sold you a gasoline powered boat without a key yet claims the engine runs I would be very very cautious when trying to start that engine Not only do you need to be safe make sure there no fuel leeks and run the bilge blower for an extended extended time but also check the engine oil make sure it's there turn the engine over by hand to make sure that there are no mechanical clearance issues.

I don't know how you ended up making the purchase without a demonstration of the engine running I would never purchase a boat or any vehicle with an engine that I did not see it runs especially if it claims to be running. Since you don't have the mechanical experience and background you may be better off hiring a mechanic to come start it for the first time and do an inspection unless you can get a hold of the original owner or people that sold it to you to have them show you how it starts.

Good luck
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:01   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Richard.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 04:43   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

So far no boom...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 05:31   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have an ethical issue instructing a stranger how to start a vehicle by-passing the key.

Suffice to say, if you have access to the back of the key switch you should be able to identify the three terminals and figure out what is what.

But of course the internet being the internet, try google. Or this you tube
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 06:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I have an ethical issue instructing a stranger how to start a vehicle by-passing the key.

Good point, especially for the new guy with 2 posts. What was his first post, "how to hitch up a boat trailer"?
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:24   #23

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Get a Cigarette type boat to type you at 15 knots. Drop transmission into gear and she should fire right up.
Richard has folding props
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:33   #24

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

remove the engine and fit a marine one, should run fine. Gas engines are for outboards and should not be fitted below decks due to explosive fuel.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:42   #25

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"

You ever been in a sailboat towed at 10 much less 15 knots??? Go back to your old chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Get a Cigarette type boat to type you at 15 knots. Drop transmission into gear and she should fire right up.
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:43   #26

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Mark the wires on the ignition so that you can reinstall correctly. Remove the ignition switch take it to a lock shop and for $10.00/$20.00 They will make new keys. Much better than SPARKS in a gasoline environment.
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:46   #27

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

Suffice to say, if you have access to the back of the key switch you should be able to identify the three terminals and figure out what is what.

But of course the internet being the internet, try google. Or this you tube
Very cool video.
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:47   #28

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-R View Post
We just bought a 1975 Cal 2-27 that came without a key to start the engine. The engine, a gasoline Volvo Penta MB10A, is supposed to work fine.

We have have changed the oil, points, plugs etc but not sure how to start it without a key. We can get to the ignition from the back.

Any advice on how to start it would be appreciated, thanks.
Power the coil and jump the starter solenoid.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:52   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcowboy View Post
Mark the wires on the ignition so that you can reinstall correctly. Remove the ignition switch take it to a lock shop and for $10.00/$20.00 They will make new keys. Much better than SPARKS in a gasoline environment.
Or carry it to the closest auto parts store and see if they still carry old car ignition switches. You may have to go to a marine supply store and pay twice as much. A kid from the Hood might work but it is probably to simple as boosting a car today is more complex.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:00   #30

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-R View Post
We just bought a 1975 Cal 2-27 that came without a key to start the engine. The engine, a gasoline Volvo Penta MB10A, is supposed to work fine.
We have have changed the oil, points, plugs etc but not sure how to start it without a key. We can get to the ignition from the back.
Any advice on how to start it would be appreciated, thanks.
Are you not able to just ask the previous owner how they started the motor? I bet there's an easier way than hot wiring every time. My engine has no key either; just a switch and a button quite away apart from each other. I turn the switch and push the button. But I figure it makes starting the motor (ie stealing the boat) just a little more difficult.
It was quite common for small engine suppliers to offer their motors without the wiring loom as a cheaper option. And as a result installing the motor would include making up a starting system, wiring gauges and warning lights etc.

Tags
engine, sail, sailboat