Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2017, 14:10   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
how do i find TDC if i cant see timing marks?

would love to adjust my valves but there simply is no conceivable way i can see the timing marks the way my engine is installed and the space i have in engine bay.

Is there a way to figure out which valve to set by the motion of the rocker arms?

i get confused from youtube videos as they all seem incomplete and do not explain in enough detail how to do this for someone who never has. Books are not much better. they all assume you can see the timing marks or are too vague.

if my #1 pistons intake valve is completely compressed (fully open) then my #1 piston is at its lowest point of its stroke is my # 4 pistons intake and exhaust valves at TDC at this point? If so is this when i would adjust the gap on #4 piston intake and exhaust valves?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 14:19   #2

Re: how do i find TDC if i cant see timing marks?

Yes, rotate the engine (the proper direction!) The intake valve will open (go down), before the exhaust valve moves you will be in the slack zone. You can rock the engine rotation back and forth to make sure there is no movement for either.
More accurately: Turn the crankshaft clockwise while you watch the rockers on #1 cylinder. At or just after TDC you will see the rocker push down the exhaust valve. Then, as the exhaust valve closes you will see the intake valve open. At this point the crank is moving past TDC-exhaust. With more rotation the intake valve closes, the crank is near BDC on the intake stroke now. In about 180 degrees more crankshaft rotation (half a turn) you will be at TDC compression.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 14:25   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
would love to adjust my valves but there simply is no conceivable way i can see the timing marks the way my engine is installed and the space i have in engine bay.

Is there a way to figure out which valve to set by the motion of the rocker arms?

i get confused from youtube videos as they all seem incomplete and do not explain in enough detail how to do this for someone who never has. Books are not much better. they all assume you can see the timing marks or are too vague.
Not sure why you need to see the timing marks to adjust the valves. Rotate engine until both valves are fully closed and the existing valve clearance is at a maximum. Reset to desired value.

Having an engine with a decompression lever is helpful .

Curious - what engine are we discussing?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 14:56   #4
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Not sure why you need to see the timing marks to adjust the valves. Rotate engine until both valves are fully closed and the existing valve clearance is at a maximum. Reset to desired value.

Having an engine with a decompression lever is helpful .

Curious - what engine are we discussing?
thats how the kubota manual describes the procedure.

kubota manual referenced timing marks for finding valve TDC.

Universal 5432 (kubota v1501)
Old 24-11-2017, 15:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've done the valves on many different engines and never used the marks. The marks are only good for the number one cylinder anyway. Rotate the engine until the intake rocker becomes loose. When both valves are fully closed, you are usually near enough TDC, you can move the rockers of the cylinder and feel them move the amount of the current clearance. Set the 2 valve clearances and rotate the engine for the next cylinder. 2 cycle diesels are different as are overhead cam diesels.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 15:45   #6

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I've found this useful on my Yanmar:

1. Using a 17mm wrench, loosen all four injection line one turn at the injector. This will prevent the engine from starting while you are barring it around. Remove the valve cover.
2. Bar the engine clockwise from the alternator end of the engine. This is #4 cylinder end. Bar the engine until the exhaust valve opens (goes down) and begins to close (move up) on #4 cylinder. Continue barring until the intake valve on #4 cyl. just begins to move (open). STOP. This puts number one cylinder at TDC compression.
3. Adjust #1 cyl. (flywheel end) exhaust and intake valves, #2 cyl. intake and #3 cyl. exhaust.
4. Bar the engine 360 degrees. Now adjust the valves that were missed in step #3. The exhaust on #2 cyl, the intake on #3 cyl and the intake and exhaust on #4 cyl. I usually chalk or mark the valves that are first adjusted in step #3. Then adjust the ones that are not marked during this adjustment cycle.
5. Tighten the high pressure fuel lines , put the valve cover back on and start .
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 17:39   #7
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post

1. Using a 17mm wrench, loosen all four injection line one turn at the injector. This will prevent the engine from starting while you are barring it around. Remove the valve cover.
2. Bar the engine clockwise from the alternator end of the engine. This is #4 cylinder end. Bar the engine until the exhaust valve opens (goes down) and begins to close (move up) on #4 cylinder. Continue barring until the intake valve on #4 cyl. just begins to move (open). STOP. This puts number one cylinder at TDC compression.
3. Adjust #1 cyl. (flywheel end) exhaust and intake valves, #2 cyl. intake and #3 cyl. exhaust.
4. Bar the engine 360 degrees. Now adjust the valves that were missed in step #3. The exhaust on #2 cyl, the intake on #3 cyl and the intake and exhaust on #4 cyl. I usually chalk or mark the valves that are first adjusted in step #3. Then adjust the ones that are not marked during this adjustment cycle.
5. Tighten the high pressure fuel lines , put the valve cover back on and start .
thanks for detailed response. next time i will think of disconnecting fuel lines. for today i just shut off the fuel line which is close to the injection pump. glad it didnt start, my vice grips would have gone flying.

thats pretty much how i ended up doing it except instead of doing several valves (half) at once i did it piston by piston. took a little longer but i just wanted to be sure i did it right as it was my first valve adjustment iv'e ever done.

didnt have time to bleed the fuel lines and start her. will do that tomorrow. fingers crossed. hopefully #4 piston will fire after this or else i guess its onto injectors.
Old 24-11-2017, 17:44   #8

Dr. Google, Rule of Nine valve adjustment.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 18:30   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Seems to me if you rotate the crank with the valve cover off, watching a particular cylinder, when the exhaust valve closes and the intake just starts to open you're pretty close to TDC between the exhaust and intake strokes. If you rotate the crank another 360 degrees, and the valves don't move after the intake closes, then you're at TDC between the compression and power strokes. Adjust away.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 18:52   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post

Is it just me or does the first step seem superfluous; I can't image a diesel starting while barring it around.

I don't speak from experience as I have always had decompression levers on my engines so the issue never arose.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 18:52   #11

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

"rule of 9" might work on normal 4 bangers, but what about 1, 2, 3, or 6 cylinder engines? Or even 1-2-4-3 firing order?
Just go to where both valves are moving, rotate the crank360 degrees and set them.
Purists will say you're not on the absolute heel of the lobe, but -sheesh- it's not an F1 race engine either.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 07:13   #12

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Is it just me or does the first step seem superfluous; I can't image a diesel starting while barring it around.

I don't speak from experience as I have always had decompression levers on my engines so the issue never arose.

It is if you have a cranky to start diesel...if not, maybe not so much.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:03   #13

I've never disconnected fuel lines to adjust valves. I have had some diesels that would start with a mere mini tap of the starter though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 12:27   #14

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Considering the fact diesel engine "ignition" occurs due to the heating of rapidly compressed air, I just don't see the possibility of a cold engine "start" occurring when simply barring over slowly to adjust valves. Have you ever tried to manually start a cold diesel with the crank handle? 'Nuff said.
As for "cracking" the fuel lines, well, if you don't mind fuel oil running down the engine and into the bilge, go for it. This sounds like a foolish idea to me.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 15:50   #15

The easiest way is to adjust valve that is NOT compressed. In other words, if a rocker arm is compressing the exhaust valve on a cylender you can adjust intake valve. keep doing this while turning over engine and all valves will be adjusted. It's simple, keep it that way!
lookinggoodrock is offline   Reply With Quote