Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2009, 09:03   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Horizontal Oil Filter Removal?

Any tricks for removing a horizontally mounted oil filter without filling the bilge with oil?
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 09:20   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i have the same problem. the only way is to loosen it until oil starts dripping out and then loosen a little more etc. until most of the oil is out of the filter. you have to catch the oil before it goes into the bilge so I guess this is not a trick. quite a design flaw IMHO.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 10:09   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I wrap the filter in a plastic bag and put a absorbant pad under the filter. This will catch all the oil. Yanmar sells a kit for remote oil filter mounting. I had on on my previous boat as the engine mounted filter was impossible to get at. The kit comes with a fitting for the engine, hoses, and a bracket for mounting the filter. The filter can then be mounted vertically any where you want. Solves the problem with horizonal filters.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 10:33   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
No drips

I found a plastic retangular recyclable orange juice container that would lend itself to careful carving so that it would be open on the top and slide just beneath the oil filter to just where it met the block. First loosen the filter to just before it might drip then hold the plastic container against the block..it helps to put a paper towell between the plastic and the block just in case.

Unscrew the filter all the way letting it fall into the container, back it away with the paper towell held against the block...just in case. Put the container carefully aside immediately screwing on a new filter before wiping with the paper towell. Carefully done, no drips!
Old 29-05-2009, 10:52   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If it's truely horizontal, you can punch a hole in the top side with a pointed object and allow the oil to drain back into the motor for a while, then tape over the hole, you will not get as much oil draining out. Most oil filters pump in threw the center hole and out thew the outer area.

If it's in a downward position you're SOL.
Old 29-05-2009, 10:58   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If it's truely horizontal, you can punch a hole in the top side with a pointed object and allow the oil to drain back into the motor for a while, then tape over the hole, you will not get as much oil draining out. Most oil filters pump in threw the center hole and out thew the outer area.

If it's in a downward position you're SOL.
This one I will have to remember. I am wondering if you rorate it half a turn if the filter will still be against the block enough not to leak? Then it can drain in the plastic bag the rest of the way?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 11:26   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I did mine like delmarrey said except, I'll punch a hole in the top corner, rotate it 1/2 turn so the hole is down and then punch another hole in the new top corner and let it sit for a while. That usually gets just about all oil out of the filter. Also, i warm the engine up first to make sure the oil is warm, that way it will flow out better.. Also put a bucket under it of course, or a disposable cup..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 11:42   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
try disposable diapers under the filter
www.kloosh.com
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 12:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Bilge pad

I use a piece of bilge pad. Tried plastic bags and plastic bags and bilge pads and decided bilge pad is the easiest for my situation.

I've yet to have more than a drop or two get past it.
Old 29-05-2009, 13:07   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
I use diposable diapers. I think they are 9 month old size. wrap them around the filter works ok. I think acombo of Del's idea nd the diaper would work well. I will thry that next time.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 17:25   #11

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I removed my oil filter on my Yanmar 3GM30 and replaced it with a Fram remote filter, mounted on the bulkhead where it is easy to get to, to place a plastic bag around and remove with not drips. Way cool.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 17:30   #12

I cut a gallon milk jug in half and let it drop straight down into the jug. A couple of bilge pads cleans any remaining mess. I like the milk jug because you can use the handle and hold it with one hand while unscrewing with the wrench hand.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 14:49   #13

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I use a piece of bilge pad. Tried plastic bags and plastic bags and bilge pads and decided bilge pad is the easiest for my situation.

I've yet to have more than a drop or two get past it.
Maine Sail,

That engine looks a lot like my Westerbeke T120-4A. Is that one?

I use a combination of the hole-punch method and bilge diapers.

What I'd really like is something like Westerbeke's remote filter adapter (screw-on adapter with in/out hoses to a remotely mounted filter), but they want an insane $700 or so for what I believe should be $150 with a nice profit. I'd love to find a alternate source for that. And an alternate source for their $61 44995 filters, as well. Even discounted from Torrensen Marine they're still $39.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 16:11   #14

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
Maine Sail,

That engine looks a lot like my Westerbeke T120-4A. Is that one?

I use a combination of the hole-punch method and bilge diapers.

What I'd really like is something like Westerbeke's remote filter adapter (screw-on adapter with in/out hoses to a remotely mounted filter), but they want an insane $700 or so for what I believe should be $150 with a nice profit. I'd love to find a alternate source for that. And an alternate source for their $61 44995 filters, as well. Even discounted from Torrensen Marine they're still $39.
They look a lot like a standard auto spin on filter, have you taken one to your frendly auto parts super store and started the matching process? If you fine a match then mail order remote filter kits should be availble for less than $50. Now if Westerbeke is a CS outfit they have made they made the filter in a way no other will work. I would like to know that for future reference so I can avoid doing business with a gouger.

There may be a cross reference out there as there is for Balmar alternators as discussed on here before, this bunch on here collective seem to know all the tricks.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 16:22   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
A paper towel stuffed very close so that there's no gaps between the base of the filter and the engine, a plastic shopping bag stuffed under the paper towel and a couple of quick moves, especially when it's hot, does the trick for me. Nothing in the pan under the engine.

Tags
oil, oil filter, removal