Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2010, 08:40   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Hope for My Damn Nissan

So I have this 4hp Nissan. Which commonly is called damn Nissan. It's not the nissans fault that it is damned. The temptation of ethanol and it's abilty to be corrupted by foul choices Of nourishment have left its soul accesable to the devil. It once ran quite well. Over the years though I have llearned to clean the carb blind folded. Now I have new hope that the Nissan will be resurected from damnation. It will be delivered from evil and find peace in serving it's master. Here is what has changed the life of the evil one . I took the carb off all the fuel lines,and the fuel pump. Took the bowl cover off the float and all the screw in ports. Then I soaked the carb body in mek over night. Rinsed the fuel lines in the bath let the ports sit in over night. Blew it all out this am with carb cleaner. The gunk in the metal pan was astounding. No wonder it was inspired to run evil. 1 new spark plug fresh high test fuel with stabil added an in line water separator and filter and it's born again. I found quite a bit of dry powder stuff attached to the fuel lines. I ran the carb dry. This can only be residue from fuel evaporation. I'm not running the carb dry anymore. Instead I'm filling the bowl and lines with high test and stabil and covering the sur intake with plastic. Well see how this transpire but for now the Nissan is born again. Next week it could convert and start screwing many lives uhhh wives. Another baptism in mek should fix that though.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 08:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You may want to conmsult, "Materials Compatible with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)":
eFunda: O-Ring Materials Compatibile with Chemical Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 09:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Straight MEK could have been too much for any non-metallic parts.

The white or slightly orange residue is likely to be the a product of ethanol phase separation, or corrosion of the interior surfaces. I poured a gallon of separated fuel into a glass jug and was amazed at what settled out. Gas on top, water on the bottom, and apple jelly in the middle. the Gas didn't have a high enough octane to run my 6 hp 4cycle Tohatsu, and the jelly was all over the carb bowl, passages and jets. I soaked the unit in a gallon can or carburetor cleaner that contains a small percentage of MEK and other VOCs, and blew out the passages with a can of dust-off. Runs good.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 09:53   #4

That's why we only baptized the body of the carb in Mek. So right the bowl on Nissan had a rubber gasket which was rinsed but not exposed to the entire procedure/exodus. The throttle and carb cable points or lever arms were fine but I was watching for chemical deterioration. Good point too ad some carbs have little o rings tucked up at the ports. Halleilulyuh blessed be the nissan.
Old 17-04-2010, 10:01   #5

Phase separation was my guess too. I know that sludge all to well. Substantial was that yes I use high test, ran the bowl dry, cleaned the carb but after all that the mek cleaned out much motlre gunk that I could have believed. So good to warn us of rubber gaskets and plastics being exposed to mek. But the example is that regular cleaning even above normal cleaning with carb cleaner doesn't do what mek did.
Old 17-04-2010, 10:25   #6

Okay gord but

I was trying to provide I'm here I saw this happen.which kicks the butt of data sheets. watch out for o rings and plastics but the amount of crap that came out of the carb which as I stated had been cleaned many times was amazing. Agree get any plastics you can out of the bath but mek kicks the devils tail out of carb cleaners. If you want to nay say good to ya but this is a solution: good filters and clean the carb with mek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Straight MEK could have been too much for any non-metallic parts.

The white or slightly orange residue is likely to be the a product of ethanol phase separation, or corrosion of the interior surfaces. I poured a gallon of separated fuel into a glass jug and was amazed at what settled out. Gas on top, water on the bottom, and apple jelly in the middle. the Gas didn't have a high enough octane to run my 6 hp 4cycle Tohatsu, and the jelly was all over the carb bowl, passages and jets. I soaked the unit in a gallon can or carburetor cleaner that contains a small percentage of MEK and other VOCs, and blew out the passages with a can of dust-off. Runs good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You may want to conmsult, "Materials Compatible with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)":
eFunda: O-Ring Materials Compatibile with Chemical Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)
Old 17-04-2010, 11:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I was trying to provide I'm here I saw this happen.which kicks the butt of data sheets...
Your observation of a single, unscientific trial, in no way trumps science, technology, and the resultant data sheets.

I’m not suggesting MEK isn’t an effective cleaner (it is); just that one should understand what their doing, when using potentially toxic or harmful chemicals.
In fact, most commercial brake and carburetor cleaners often contain more than ten percent solvents such as methylene chloride (dichloromethane), tetrachloroethylene, methyl ethyl ketone and etc.

ie ➥ Ingredients in Carburetor Cleaners | eHow.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 12:36   #8

Gord with much admiration but I have seen the light. Carb cleaners that spray crap all over are no match for what I saw from straight mek. Yes be careful . I would say that using carb cleaner which has a high pessure and velocity from the can is mor hazRdous then mek in a bucket. Both you should use directed and when using carb cleaner especially wear eye protection. Should we mention don t use the hair dryer in a shower r stand in a metal tub during an electric storm. Just ran the dink to shore and. Damn Nissan runs well so will it be damn Nissan in 6 months or bishop Nissan?

Tags
nissan