Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 05:34   #1

Hooking up perkins

Guys,

Im instaling perkins perama 103-06 and need help with pipes setup. See attached screenshot.

Im sure that the black hose coming from diesel pump is diesel intake. Good. But what about the second hand? Do I guess correctly that the second one is return pipe?

My second questions is about control cables. Again, I guess one is kill switch (the upper one which swings) and the second throttle (the lower one). Correct?

Also, how should I lead those cables? Should I attach them first to some sort of backing plate? Maybe thats the purpose of the black tube of the shape of letter L, which is quite close. Or can I attach those cables directly and leave them 'hang in the air'?

Thanks a lot! Tomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	117231  
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 05:39   #2

Re: Hooking up perkins

Second picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	117232  
Old 22-01-2016, 05:41   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

There are usually brackets on the engine to secure the cable assemblies to . look further back on the engine for it
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 05:47   #4

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arecuk View Post
Guys,

Im instaling perkins perama 103-06 and need help with pipes setup. See attached screenshot.

Im sure that the black hose coming from diesel pump is diesel intake. Good. But what about the second hand? Do I guess correctly that the second one is return pipe?

My second questions is about control cables. Again, I guess one is kill switch (the upper one which swings) and the second throttle (the lower one). Correct?

Also, how should I lead those cables? Should I attach them first to some sort of backing plate? Maybe thats the purpose of the black tube of the shape of letter L, which is quite close. Or can I attach those cables directly and leave them 'hang in the air'?

Thanks a lot! Tomas
Typically a fuel intake to a high pressure pump such as you have in the right foreground for this three cylinder Perkins would be metal, not rubber. It should be in line with an engine mounted fuel filter between the lift pump and the high pressure pump. The double armed lever on the top at right is almost certainly the shut off (depressurisation) and below it there is a small lever stopped to an adjustment screw. This will be your throttle, with idle speed adjust. I am not sure which line you are referring to as your fuel return, but you should be able to identify the return cycle as they will tee off a metal hose that runs between all the injectors, from banjos at their heads.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 05:48   #5

Quote:
Second picture
Ok yes. You can see the fuel return snaking between the banjos at the heads of the three injectors, then down to the right to join a banjo at the centre of the high pressure pump head. The direction of flow is opposite though, from the pump, through the injector heads, and out at the upper left.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 22-01-2016, 05:51   #6

Quote:
Second picture
Ok the black "hose" is not a fuel line. It doesn't even look like a line to me, but some kind of guard or support (the one with a right angle in the foreground?). In any case there are no black hoses visible in the fuel system downstream of the lift pump. The fuel system is, as I suspected, all blue painted metal. The fuel intake comes from your lift pump below and to the right of the engine mounted filter, to a banjo at its side, then out the top and down to the high pressure pump, via another blue metal line.
Old 22-01-2016, 05:55   #7

With regard to the Morse (control) cables for the throttle and shut down, they need to be attached to a flange at both ends, so yes, at the engine end as well, otherwise they will not work, as the sleeve has to be stationary. There is a possible candidate flange with several holes near the shut off and throttle levers, though it is not in an obviously correct position to my eyes, just from the photographs.
Old 22-01-2016, 05:58   #8

Quote:
Second picture
Also you will want to stop that corrosion. Not a big deal but unsightly and will cause more mess, as well as make it harder to spot extra leaks (extra because Perkins pretty much always leak, somewhere!). Paint on Phosphoric acid, leave for a couple of hours, then wash off with water. Clean the engine thoroughly and spraypaint with appropriate blue. Or at least use the phosphoric. Will convert that nasty red rust (iron oxide) to lovely black, hard incorrodable iron phosphate.
Old 22-01-2016, 06:03   #9

In the second picture you can see two black fueling hoses. I wrote pipes but meant hoses. Somi guess one is intake and second return hose.

There are no brackets for control cables. Hence my question. Look at the strange black tube, perhaps i could attach it to?
Old 22-01-2016, 06:13   #10

Quote:
In the second picture you can see two black fueling hoses. I wrote pipes but meant hoses. Somi guess one is intake and second return hose.

There are no brackets for control cables. Hence my question. Look at the strange black tube, perhaps i could attach it to?
Ok, I think you mean the fuel intake and return lines. The upper one attached to the left hand most injector is almost certainly your return line to the tank. It seems a little large but there it is.

The fuel intake comes in at bottom left and up to the lift pump. It doesn't really look black to me but there it is.

I don't know what you mean by strange black tube? You mean the metal rod mounted at right angles in the foreground? Kinda looks like some sort of guard. I would say the flange above the two levers is your best candidate for the morse cables. Looks right, just doesn't immediatly look like it's mounted in the right place, but don't forget that often morse cables come in to these levers from opposing sides, and you can hang additional metal off that flange.
Old 22-01-2016, 06:18   #11

The fuel feed hose is connected to the banjo fitting on the lift pump, and the fuel return line to the tank is connected to the hose barb on #3 cylinder.

The stop control is the upper lever with the holes on each end, and the throttle is on the side of the case with the stop screws idle adjustment and full fuel.

The black metal rod is used to mount the outer housing of the throttle cable to. It is missing the actual cable clamp bracket, but that can be sourced from numerous sources.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 06:19   #12

Yes I mean the metal rod.

But instill dont know where to attach those two morse cables ... I dont see any flange there
Old 22-01-2016, 06:24   #13

Quote:
Yes I mean the metal rod.

But instill dont know where to attach those two morse cables ... I dont see any flange there
There is a flange directly above the two levers at the right hand end of the high pressure pump. Admittedly I would have expected it to be further to the right, but you can experiment. It is likely in the right position and if not you can use the spare holes to add a further flange or two for the purpose!
Old 22-01-2016, 06:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
The fuel feed hose is connected to the banjo fitting on the lift pump, and the fuel return line to the tank is connected to the hose barb on #3 cylinder.

The stop control is the upper lever with the holes on each end, and the throttle is on the side of the case with the stop screws idle adjustment and full fuel.

The black metal rod is used to mount the outer housing of the throttle cable to. It is missing the actual cable clamp bracket, but that can be sourced from numerous sources.

DougR
Old 22-01-2016, 06:55   #15

What you are missing is a small plate that slides along and clamps to the black metal rod. This plate has the actual cable clamp mounted on it. You connect the inner rod of the throttle cable to the throttle arm, and the outer housing of the cable to the cable clamp which is on the sliding plate. Then position everything correctly and clamp the plate to the rod. The throttle cable should be a type "33" cable.

If you google "Yanmar 4JH engine" you can find a picture of this type of cable anchor arrangement.

The stop cable is a simple pull cable with a "T" handle on one end and the engine stop lever on the other end. It can be anchored to the same sliding plate as the throttle cable.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins