Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 09:45   #1

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50
Honda 20hp 4stroke issue

I am having a problem with a honda 20hp 4 stroke. I start it with choke it runs a few secs and dies. Then I start it without chock it will idle just above the point of dying an can run anywhere from about 1sec to around 60secs before dying if I try to turn throttle at all it dies.

Any suggestions on what it maybe or I can try.

I have already replaced the fuel. Opened the screw on the carb to let out anything and pumped new fuel in.

I tried some carb cleaner.

Spark plugs look ok but didnt replace them.
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Honda 20hp 4stroke issue

Most likely dirty carb, usually is.
But just for kicks, try keeping the bulb pump tight, see if that makes a difference, once in a blue moon a fuel pump goes bad and the check is to keep the bulb pumped tight.
I'd bet money this is not it, but its easy to check and cost no money, so why not check?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:15   #3

Clean carburator, check fuel filter.
Old 19-10-2016, 17:00   #4

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most likely dirty carb, usually is.
But just for kicks, try keeping the bulb pump tight, see if that makes a difference, once in a blue moon a fuel pump goes bad and the check is to keep the bulb pumped tight.
I'd bet money this is not it, but its easy to check and cost no money, so why not check?
Tried the bulb pump tight that wasnt it.

Ok will have to remove carb then such a pita on this motor. I tried pumping some carb cleaner in as well but that didnt help.
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 17:33   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthought View Post
Tried the bulb pump tight that wasnt it.

Ok will have to remove carb then such a pita on this motor. I tried pumping some carb cleaner in as well but that didnt help.
===

I have the same engine and end up replacing the carb every 2 or 3 years. That's the best cure, and a good Honda mechanic can do it in about 30 minutes.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 17:54   #6

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

I Have 2 of the same engines and straight off sounds like fuel, assume you have replaced the internal fuel filter?

One reason why I would never buy a Honda again is that they are nearly impossible to work on , everything is hard to get at to work on and you even need to remove the lower cowlings to replace the oil filter, crazy design layouts on these engines.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 18:35   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Have the float bowl cleaned ultrasonically, There is a passage in there that is subject to blockage. Do NOT use a wire, the size is critical. The accelerator pump can be cleaned with it.
Old 20-10-2016, 08:49   #8

Boat: Woodward 47

Andrew Grace. I also have a Honda and love it.
It is not difficult to remove the carby and clean it. Like wise the oil filter. All you need is a little mechanical understanding. Clean all passages in the carby, remove the tubes and jet. It's very easy.

Sent from my C6903 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:13   #9

Boat: Scout 30

Common problem with Hondas. Cleaning will not fix this. Replacing the main nozzle will work some of the time. Replacing the carburetor will work all of the time. Both are really easy to do yourself.

2007 and Later BF20DK0 LHA Honda Outboard CARBURETOR (MANUAL) Diagram and Parts
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:34   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450

We also have the same outboard and the same reoccurring problem. First time the carb needed a rebuild and cleaning(with replacement valve seats). The second time, a few weeks ago, it started the same choke issues and now Ive replaced the carb completely. This seems to be a common problem with Honda BF20's. The replacement carb I will rebuild and keep for the next time.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 10:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricator-ken View Post
Andrew Grace. I also have a Honda and love it.
It is not difficult to remove the carby and clean it. Like wise the oil filter. All you need is a little mechanical understanding. Clean all passages in the carby, remove the tubes and jet. It's very easy.

Sent from my C6903 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I don't think Andrew's opinion is due to lack of mechanical understanding. To service the outboard requires you to have good access to the outboard from below - not usually a problem on a tender or conventional rear mounted outboard, sort of hard in the engine access in a seawind catamaran.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

I have the same engine and end up replacing the carb every 2 or 3 years. That's the best cure, and a good Honda mechanic can do it in about 30 minutes.
That's just wonderful, if you happen to be in the money printing business.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 16:33   #13

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

Replace the carb? 2 to 3 YEARS? i have three outboards, 2 yamahas and a Tomos moped. My 2001 yamaha 8hp and my 1995 moped both came from the metal and misc dumpster in the Portland dump. neither of the carbs were replaced, just rebuilt by me, both run perfectly. idk what kind of mechanic you have, but carbs should last much longer than the short time you have described!

ps if they really break beyond repair every two years, theirs something to be said about honda workmanship! throw that thing in a dumpster and buy yourself a yamaha!
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 17:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthought View Post
I am having a problem with a honda 20hp 4 stroke. I start it with choke it runs a few secs and dies. Then I start it without chock it will idle just above the point of dying an can run anywhere from about 1sec to around 60secs before dying if I try to turn throttle at all it dies.

Any suggestions on what it maybe or I can try.

I have already replaced the fuel. Opened the screw on the carb to let out anything and pumped new fuel in.

I tried some carb cleaner.

Spark plugs look ok but didnt replace them.
Just did one yesterday with the same problem on a Mercury 4 stoke. The carburetor was full of jelly like substance. I could not free up the main jet. I used "Brake Kleens" with the nozzle and sprayed all the insides and out. Reinstalled it and all works very good. Brake Kleens is available at automotive supply stores.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 18:15   #15

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

No need to be rude to the OP.

The Honda is a finely made engine, possibly too finely made. The Yamaha (2 strokes) are built for a rougher life, and can take it. The Honda has very fine tolerances generally and in the carb particularly.

In the cruising world the fuel is not always as clean as it could be, and extra filters wont help as the pollutants are in solution.

The Honda is like a Fabrique National (FN) 7.62, a beautiful machine, but the AK 47 is better in a rough world.

If the cleaning suggested above does not work, it is because the orifices have eroded bigger than they should be, meaning a rich mixture. This does not happen overnight, the engine becomes sluggish, especially on acceleration, and consumption increases.

Time to replace all jets and emulsion tubes, but dont forget that passage in the float bowl.

Tags
honda