Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 14:05   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Help starting Diesel Heater

Hello,

Its getting colder here and I would love to know how to get this heater to go. It appears to be a HiSeas model which I dont think are in business any more.

I am guessing I need to squirt a small amount alcohol or meths inside the inner most hole and then put a match to it?

I have found the valve for the diesel, is there a pump or?

Cheers

AG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	172247   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	172248  

Name:	heater3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	172249   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	172250  

BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 01:16   #2

Re: HiSeas Heater - Help

Update: So I found the switch that turns on the fuel pump for the heater. The issue is that while the pump went briefly (for a few seconds) - it has now stopped.

There is no fuel on the wick.

I am unsure if the pump stopped because the line got pressure (and there is a block somewhere) or whether it stopped for some other reason.

The pump is a Walbro WEP-38 - which I think has a little fuel pressure regulator attached to the top of it. I presume from here I should remove the hose @ the heater and see if fuel comes out when pump is on.
Old 23-06-2018, 17:16   #3

Boat: 31ft tank

That's an old heater Al, possibly manufactured in the 70's.

I would replace it with a new Dickinson, it would be a pretty simple installation and they are sold in little old NZ as well → Dickinson Marine Newport Diesel Heater [Newport] - $1,699.00NZD : Discount Marine, Ships chandlers, boat supplies, inflatable boats, electronics, hardware and everything else
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 17:42   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
That's an old heater Al, possibly manufactured in the 70's.

I would replace it with a new Dickinson, it would be a pretty simple installation and they are sold in little old NZ as well → Dickinson Marine Newport Diesel Heater [Newport] - $1,699.00NZD : Discount Marine, Ships chandlers, boat supplies, inflatable boats, electronics, hardware and everything else
Why should he spend 1700 bucks to replace a heater that most likely will work just fine? They are so simple that an unrepairable fault is hard to imagine.

Friends had one in their 29 foot boat on SF Bay years ago, and it would drive you out of the cabin in the coldest days there. So, Big Al, keep up with the detective work, starting with the pump and tank and working towards the burner. You'll win out in the end!

Jim
Old 23-06-2018, 20:31   #5

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Why should he spend 1700 bucks to replace a heater that most likely will work just fine? They are so simple that an unrepairable fault is hard to imagine.

Jim
I was trying to repair a simar heater made by Taylor in the 70s. The heater was of extremely high quality but when I called the company to inquire about a spare part they told me that model contained asbestos. It was a common material to use in heaters if that vintage.

I would really suggest you look at the Dickinson.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 21:01   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I was trying to repair a simar heater made by Taylor in the 70s. The heater was of extremely high quality but when I called the company to inquire about a spare part they told me that model contained asbestos. It was a common material to use in heaters if that vintage.

I would really suggest you look at the Dickinson.

SV Pizzazz
We all choose what to worry about...

Extrapolating from a different manufacturer to the High Seas, then deciding that the alleged asbestos will somehow become airborne and inhaled in large quantities whilst you are fooling around with the fuel supply, well, don't forget the danger of meteor strike . It's a known hazard!

Jim
Old 23-06-2018, 22:56   #7

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input. If the heater is similar age to the boat then I think its about mid 80s vintage.

I am aware of the asbestos possibility and are not going to mess around with the wick. I think it is firmly a fuel supply issue at this point.

Will disconnect the supply line in due course and see what comes out.

For anyone who wants it here is the HiSeas C100 manual:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...dIMWVPVjd1OUpF
Old 24-06-2018, 11:13   #8

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

Big Al!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the old high seas heater. I had to tinker with mine as well, thought it was the fuel regulator, so I have a spare if you need it. You may have it for free, the thought of keeping you warm when Im about to start my summer cruise is sufficient payback.
As I recall, mine worked as you would let a couple teaspoons of fuel accumulate at the bottom of the firebox. You then would insert some newspaper into the firebox and light it up. The fuel would become vaporized as it traveled up and over in the copper tubing, and burn as it came out the end. Once hot and burning the process continued without any more paper being added.
Now I must add I never felt entirely safe running this thing, so I bought a Dickson. Installation was easy with the same chimney and insulation to the bulkhead, There I believe was the only asbestos I ever saw.
Old 24-06-2018, 12:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Matthesen View Post
Big Al!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the old high seas heater. I had to tinker with mine as well, thought it was the fuel regulator, so I have a spare if you need it. You may have it for free, the thought of keeping you warm when Im about to start my summer cruise is sufficient payback.
As I recall, mine worked as you would let a couple teaspoons of fuel accumulate at the bottom of the firebox. You then would insert some newspaper into the firebox and light it up. The fuel would become vaporized as it traveled up and over in the copper tubing, and burn as it came out the end. Once hot and burning the process continued without any more paper being added.
Now I must add I never felt entirely safe running this thing, so I bought a Dickson. Installation was easy with the same chimney and insulation to the bulkhead, There I believe was the only asbestos I ever saw.
Thanks for the generous offer Gary.

Is the fuel regulator on top of the pump?

What is in the square box at the base of the heater in the attached picture other than the 0,1,2,3 heat control?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180623_160905.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	172341  
Old 24-06-2018, 14:22   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch
Re: Help starting Diesel Heater

I can't speak to all your problems but I have found the regulated Walboro pumps a bit of a PITA. They can be disassembled and rejuvinated by cleaning the contacts. I see no reason why the stove should be replaced without at least a bit of time with this one once you can get it going. Often the older equipment works better longer!
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 14:42   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The little aluminum box contains a three-way (plus off) valve, containing 3 rubys with different size holes drilled in them. Select the appropriate orifice for different heat settings, starting with 1.

Now that I have told you how to get it working, DO NOT USE THAT HEATER!!! No joke, it is very dangerous. Unlike the Dickenson and Sigmar (and Refleks, etc) the fuel is not shut off when the level rises in the burner, and the hot fuel then flows out onto the cabin sole. I had this happen - it is not theoretical. Fortunately the flame didn't get out or no more boat. There were several boats lost as a result. The last year the manufacturer was at the Seattle Boat Show I had a long talk with them. They were complaining that they couldn't get liability coverage - their carrier dropped them due to high claims and no one else was interested in that exposure either.

Get rid of it!!

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 14:44   #12

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

Hi That 'box' most likely contains a float and valve that controls the fuel level in the box so that the metering knob '1-2-3 will allow a given amount of fuel into the burner . It is a good chance that there is dirt in that assembly. Suggest you carefully remove the screws and lift out the top , a good cleaning may have you on your way to some warm comfort.
Also agree ,, This older equipment can outlast a lot of the newer "improved"
items
Cheers
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 14:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len hornick View Post
Hi That 'box' most likely contains a float and valve
Nope. Just three orifices. And no feedback. When (not if) the wick gets too much carbon the flame doesn't burn fast enough to keep up with the inflow of diesel and an overflow occurs. Also, if the Walbro is adjusted too high the flow is too fast with the same result.

It is not even remotely worth keeping - the risks are just too great. Buy a new Dickenson or Sigmar and install the optional overheat/flame out safety cutoff just to be safe.

Greg
Old 24-06-2018, 14:53   #14

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

Hi Greg Hmmm So there is no float/level control in that box ?
if I understand correctly then it does make it a risky device.
Good info Thanks Len
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:07   #15

There were three generations of these heaters, all of them problematic. The first generation had a little needle valve mounted high up on the heater, connected to a tube that dripped diesel into the burner box below. As the heater warmed up the fuel flowed faster, leading to dangerous runaway conditions (overheat or overflow). Their second generation solution was to use the orifice control at the bottom and run a stainless capillary up, inside, then down into the burner. That didn't last long because the capillary got continually plugged with carbon. So the third generation ran the capillary to a vertical wick (asbestos?); with the end of the capillary inside the wick it no longer plugged up. The potential for overflow remained. But by then the boat fires brought a halt to the company. What was strange was listening to the owners complaining about the insurance companies while being dismissive of the losses they had caused.

Greg

Tags
diesel