Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 16:19   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: Help starting Diesel Heater

They went out of business for a reason. Get rid of it. Instead--install a closed-loop system properly designed and approved by insurance companies.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 18:30   #17

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Re: HiSeas Heater - Help

Wow - so much good information.

The asbestos was concerning although I had visions of replacing the wick. But with all the additional information about the bad design and fire risk, the solution is clear. I am going to get rid of it.

Those Dickinson's look nice and are available here - do they have electronic ignition for the Diesel ones?

Cheers
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 21:13   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
I am going to get rid of it.
Good plan if I do say so

Quote:
Those Dickinson's look nice and are available here - do they have electronic ignition for the Diesel ones?
No, a pot burner takes 5 or 10 minutes to warm up before it is burning clean. They are usually left on continuously, unlike a forced air diesel heater or a diesel boiler. Their advantage is utter simplicity and negligible power draw (Walbro pump or gravity and a 120mm case fan to push the heat off of the overhead). The minimum heat output is about half of the maximum heat output so going large is a mistake. Starting is best done with an ounce or so of alcohol (usually methanol) started with a 1" square piece of tissue dampened in alcohol, lit and quickly tossed inside.

At the other end of the price and performance scale is a diesel boiler with radiators, like the Hurricane. It just takes money...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 22:19   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Big Al, while the asbestos is a non-event IMO, the fuel flow issues are worth worrying about... even though none of the ones with which I was familiar ever had a problem.

We've used a Fab-All for years. It's very similar to the Dickenson, supposedly mfg by some disgruntled Dickensen employes, and we are happy with it as are all the folks we know with genuine Dickensons. A bit slow to get started, but once warmed up, copious heat output.

If convenient, a closed loop air circuit is nice, but we've been burning cabin air with no ill effects. Your choice!

Jim
Old 24-06-2018, 22:52   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Fab-All was the first name, changed later to Sig Marine (SigMar) and now bought by Dickinson. The Sigmar products are very similar to Dickinson but contain some nice innovations, such as the balanced draft. They claimed to be more efficient at recovering the heat for the cabin. Also, they dispensed with the cast iron tops and used sheet stainless instead. These days Dickinson makes both products in one factory.

Full disclosure: I have owned a SigMar 120 ever since disposing of the HiSeas. I haven't hooked up the balanced draft - just no place to put the second exhaust. I bought the draft assist fan, to prevent backdrafts, but haven't needed to use it. I also bought the high temp fuel shut-off and haven't installed that either (but I should for next winter). [Yeah, I know: I need to spend more time fixing the boat and less time here.]

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 01:06   #21

Thumbs up Re: HiSeas Heater - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Matthesen View Post
Big Al!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the old high seas heater. I had to tinker with mine as well, thought it was the fuel regulator, so I have a spare if you need it. You may have it for free, the thought of keeping you warm when Im about to start my summer cruise is sufficient payback.
As I recall, mine worked as you would let a couple teaspoons of fuel accumulate at the bottom of the firebox. You then would insert some newspaper into the firebox and light it up. The fuel would become vaporized as it traveled up and over in the copper tubing, and burn as it came out the end. Once hot and burning the process continued without any more paper being added.
Now I must add I never felt entirely safe running this thing, so I bought a Dickson. Installation was easy with the same chimney and insulation to the bulkhead, There I believe was the only asbestos I ever saw.
I wanted to publicly thank you by the way Gary for your kind offer by the way. Really gives me some faith in this community.

Old 25-06-2018, 01:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Big Al, while the asbestos is a non-event IMO, the fuel flow issues are worth worrying about... even though none of the ones with which I was familiar ever had a problem.

We've used a Fab-All for years. It's very similar to the Dickenson, supposedly mfg by some disgruntled Dickensen employes, and we are happy with it as are all the folks we know with genuine Dickensons. A bit slow to get started, but once warmed up, copious heat output.

If convenient, a closed loop air circuit is nice, but we've been burning cabin air with no ill effects. Your choice!

Jim
Yeah, I have family in the asbestos removal business who also said its nothing to worry about, but in the scheme of things a new heater isn't so expensive.

Since I don't do *that* much winter sailing at the moment the new heater will probably get about 5th place on the list behind some other new upgrades.

Been some good learning though in terms of tracing pipes etc on the ol girl :-)

Tags
diesel