Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 08:15   #1

High-Time Yanmar ?

I'm considering a boat with a Yanmar 4JH2-DTE (or is it 4JH2-DT(B)E? Claimed 88HP, anyway) engine with over 7,000 hours on it.....

That seems like it might be fairly high time, even if well maintained (and the owner seems to have done everything right in terms of maintenance).

Assuming the worst, what would a replacement (or overhaul) cost?

Assuming the best, is this a mid-life engine? End of life engine? Just barely broken in engine?

Thanks!
Old 24-08-2010, 09:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I have 5,000 hours on my ten year old Yanmar 4JH3E and I am very confident with it's condition and reliability. Engines can sometimes suffer more from lack of use than hours of use. What is the age of the engine? Less than 15 years with care can be young.

Is 7K the new 3K? What is the general appearance of the engine? It's no more than a very subjective diagnostic survey, but I well maintained motors are usually looking pretty good and are not bleeding rust and corrosion.
Of course, only a good mechanical survey can tell and give you accurate quotes on costs. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 10:02   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
high time yannies beat the beejeeziz out of low time others....keep up the good work....i bought my ericson with a unknown hours yannie with automotive gasoline engine parts slapped onto it--i paid 3600$ for a 600 hour overhaul by a yanmar dealer so i know what i have--is essentially a brand newly rebuilt engine--is a dream.....awesome engines.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 10:12   #4

Thanks. The current owner is an engineer, and the boat looks great. The problem (such as it is) on this 15 year old boat is that he used the engine in lieu of a dedicated generator (which could mean lots of low-power hours)...

Were I to buy it I'd put in a dedicated generator....and think hard about an engine rebuild, I guess.
Old 24-08-2010, 10:17   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
complete rebuild isnt needed--the freshening is a good idea--i did it just to know what i had, as previous owner didnt, and the pricing was in accord with what i could spend--but is worth the time and money to have a known engine. friend of mine i sail with didnt do as i did--he got a high -i think-hours yannie--did great all the whole time we sailed her--the diesels love hours, especially when they are being exercised and used. idling sukks. load it up and use--if drips or smokes--rebuild--otherwise-is alll good. change oil every 100 hours religiously and will serve you loong time....i love my yannie.
i also love my honda 2000 eu. and my solar panels. and the wind generator i dont have yet ....

btw--the engine pictured looks awesome. i would go for it if i liked the boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 10:41   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico
My 4JH-hte has 7,500 hours and runs great. Larry Berlin who teaches the Mack Boring diesel class said there is no reason a well maintained engine like that couldn't last 15-20,000, and they have examples of it. So I'll run it until it doesn't feel right, and maybe that will be a long time.

I think the engine (4jh5 hte) would probably be $15,000 and installation about $10,000 for a $25,000 re-power cost. That's been my assumption anyway. Of course its's not an "off the shelf" product so it's hard to really know or compare prices. I would be curious if anyone has gone through it recently.

Until it croaks we'll keep on truckin'.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar