Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 15:13   #16

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: High(er) temperature engine alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
You may want to consult your engine manual to confirm if it is designed to run at 180F or 190F. Basically, engines run more efficiently at higher temperatures but it is not recommended to exceed their design temperature.
Describe "more efficiently" If you are in a northern climate, keeping the engine above freezing is important, but here in the tropics you do not even need a thermostat. And dont forget, Detroit has set thermostats above 200 d F to meet emissions standards, not engine efficiency or long-life. I take my thermostats out when south of the Chesapeake! More coolant water makes my engine happy
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 18:53   #17

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Maybe your temperature gauge is reading high? Unless they are of the bulb and capillary type, the thermistors can sometimes be subject to electrical component ageing.

I live in the tropics here and always have a thermostat.

Check that thermostat. Heat up some coolant with the thermostat immersed fully. It should start to open at about 170 degrees and be fully open at 180. If it is not, replace it. They are comparatively inexpensive. If it is latched open when you remove it, then your problem lies in the engine water impeller, or in the raw water pump and filters, or even the through hull may be partially obstructed. If the raw water circuit to the heat exchanger id=s compromised, your engine will run hotter than usual, but you will see this in the wet exhaust system becoming very hot.

Personally, I fit an alarm in the engine exhaust system. If anything goes wrong, you will pretty much know INSTANTLY.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Personally, I fit an alarm in the engine exhaust system. If anything goes wrong, you will pretty much know INSTANTLY.
Thanks Mike and all. After all this, I just ordered the Aqualarm with the clamp-on exhaust sensor. I think that's $80 well spent for peace of mind. Thanks all for the help.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, engine