Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 20:52   #16

Re: Help identify this dampener?

If that is a velvet drive, I had a leak from the shifter o ring. Kit for under 10 bucks from American diesel. Entire shaft pulls out.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:25   #17

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Some friends brought us to the local yacht club and got to pick some more brains.

Now I know more about what I'm looking at, it's a borg warner trans. The leaking is coming from the gasket between the reduction gear and the trans.

I'm concerned about all the miles we've sailed with the prop free spinning. So I guess we're looking at a feathering prop or a shaft brake. So far the feathering prop looks like a max-prop but at $4500 I don't think that's in the budget. The sucky part of having a big boat, things like props and shafts and this stuff gets so expensive!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 15:32   #18

If you are looking at feathering props, check out "Kiwi Feathering Propellors".
I have one but it will be smaller than yours. They feather with the engine in neutral as long as you're not sailing faster than something like 18 knots when you might need a brake. They give very good thrust with 3 blades and excellent reverse. If you contact them direct it will be John, or Bevan who will give you very good advice. You might need to discuss your drive system with them or with any other prop supplier you decide on.
I have no connection but just a happy customer. You will of course find them with Mrs Google.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 15:35   #19

Regarding my last suggestion about Kiwi feathering props they are in Auckland New Zealand but supply the world.
Old 08-08-2015, 16:19   #20

We bought a kiwi prop for our catalina 34 and loved it. When we had the boat hauled I tried to find out if we could get one for the new boat, but they don't make one big enough for our shaft. This was 2 years ago though, so I just emailed him again.

Was looking at max props but they are out of our price range.

I'm guessing I'll end up pulling the reduction gear, replacing the gasket, replacing the evolution, and bolting it back together. I like the PSS version better, but we'd need to come up with a new coupler "spacer" and that would probably make it more expensive than just replacing what we have.

So I'm trying to identify the borg warner model, ours doesn't have the nice plate on it that tells you. I found the manual and it does look like a 71 series with the 2.1 reduction gear... is there any way to confirm it? The only markings I've found on the trans is the name Borg Warner. Otherwise there's a few letters on the reduction gear, but they're pretty hard to read.

Old 08-08-2015, 16:37   #21

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I have a B&W Velvet Drive. The manual states that "it has been determined by tests and practical experience that all Velvet Drive transmissions can be freewheeled without risk of damage in both sailing and trolling applications."

Does anyone else have any practical experience with this statement that would negate what the manual expresses?
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 18:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
I have a B&W Velvet Drive. The manual states that "it has been determined by tests and practical experience that all Velvet Drive transmissions can be freewheeled without risk of damage in both sailing and trolling applications."

Does anyone else have any practical experience with this statement that would negate what the manual expresses?
This jives with what the cruisers on my dock told me today... Many many miles freewheeling with no issues... it would be nice if the damn thing would lock like a hurth. When we're sailing it sounds like a freight train going by in the aft cabin.
Old 08-08-2015, 19:01   #23

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I bet it's noticeably more quiet after the repair.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:31   #24

I got a response from Kiwi Props. Most of their business is exports, and since the NZ$ is in the shitter, they aren't actively developing anything new right now. But they are working on foils for their props, if you are an existing customer it might be worth checking out.
Ogival Foils

Not affiliated, just a happy previous customer.
Old 09-08-2015, 13:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I got a response from Kiwi Props. Most of their business is exports, and since the NZ$ is in the shitter, they aren't actively developing anything new right now. But they are working on foils for their props, if you are an existing customer it might be worth checking out.
Ogival Foils

Not affiliated, just a happy previous customer.
Thanks Autumnbreeze. I see you know about them. I checked again and their biggest is a new 4 blade for up to 85 Hp; possibly too small for 50'er?

That new shape is interesting but my Kiwi prop performs so well I won't change anything.

With a big boat like yours, a fixed prop wouldn't create so much sailing drag compared to one on my 30'er. Easier to drag an anchor with a tractor than with a bicycle.

I know about our $ exchange with US. This time last year we drove around California and our NZ$1 bought about .80c US. Wednesday we leave NZ to visit family in Ottawa then Amtrak Chicago to SF, pausing to drive around Utah canyons on the way. Now our dollar buys around .60 c US. We bought cash and prepaid bookings while it was still around .75c. That approx .60c rate is good for anyone in U.S. buying NZ products and good for NZ exporters, they say.

It's due to the drop in demand for farm produce to China. Same with Australia and mineral exports to China. The pendulum will swing again.
Old 09-08-2015, 14:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Thanks Autumnbreeze. I see you know about them. I checked again and their biggest is a new 4 blade for up to 85 Hp; possibly too small for 50'er?
We've got 150 HP and a 1.75" shaft... They only go up to 1.5"
Old 09-08-2015, 17:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
We've got 150 HP and a 1.75" shaft... They only go up to 1.5"
Sounds like a fixed prop with a brake could be good if you don't mind the sailing drag. I guess any folding feathering prop has vulnerable parts transmitting that power. Not to mention cost.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:32   #28

I talked to the trans guy a friend recommended me to, he suggested I just order the part from Evolution. So I called Evolution this morning to find out that it's not their part! They could build me what I need, but it will take a week, and then they're on the other side of the continent, so I'd have to wait another week for it to get here or pay an arm and a leg to ship it (it will be heavy).

Any other ideas? I'm heading out to the local shops with it to see if anybody knows somebody local that can help. I'm in southern california.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:40   #29

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/
Old 11-08-2015, 09:52   #30

Are you in the water or out?
If out, you may consider pulling the shaft far enough to inspect the area inside the stuffing box, often is corroded. If it is, replace the shaft with a longer one and a standard coupling.
If you are in the water, I think someone mentioned having a spacer made to go with a standard coupling.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote