Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2011, 18:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Help ! Hydraulic Lock - Water in Lubrication Oil

You could put a small fuel type valve in place of the vetus valve, shut it when you're motoring, and open when you're done. Somewhere near a scupper...? Kinda funky but I've seen it before .....and you are in Panama! (?)

Old 30-05-2011, 20:01   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Almost guaranteed to be the anti-syphon valve sticking closed. Had that happen on my Volvo MD2b. Unfortunately, I got it started using the compression releases without being sure the water had been pumped out of the cylinders and bent a rod. Damn, water just doesn't like to compress.

Volvo rebuilt the engine under warranty but still insisted an anti-syphon valve was the way to go. Engine filled with water once again the first time I didn't shut off the coolant inlet valve. I pumped the sump as dry as I could and refilled with oil. Then popped the compression releases and turned the engine over with the starter till it had thoroughly pumped out liquid water. Once I was sure the engine was free of water, started it up and let it run for an hour. Shut it down and changed the oil. Started it up again and let it run for another hour. Checked the oil and no sign of water so I was good to go. Believe it's important to get the engine started once the water is out of the cylinders and sump. Running the engine will evaporate out any trace water that is left in the cylinders and crankcase and insure that the injectors don't corrode up.

After that, removed the valve from the Anti-Syphon loop and replaced with 1/4" hose barb and hose with a loop run as high in the boat as I could get it exiting via a thru-hull on the side of the boat where I could see it. Can check to be sure that it is not plugged by seeing water dribble out of it. If I was to do it again, would run the hose into the cockpit where it would be easier to check. No more problems with the engine or with it filling with water for the 10 years thereafter of our ownership.

Old 31-05-2011, 03:40   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H. View Post
Thanks Doug. That's what I did. And I even found a qt. of Marvel Mystery oil to add to the brew.
But now that everything is back together engine won't turn over. Just a very hesitant grunt or two from starter then nothing.
But, you were using the starter to turn the engine over when the injectors were out and you were rinsing, right? Maybe your battery is low.

Bar the engine over a few times with a wrench, just to sure you don't still have anything left in the upper cylinders.
Old 31-05-2011, 18:11   #19

Boat: 51' Formosa Ketch "Un Mundo"

Well, not good news friends, especially given that I'm in Barra de Navidad, which is really beautiful but I wasn't planning on taking up roots here!! Finally got motor started, but oh what a horrible racket. Something really nasty going on in there. Sounds like an old tractor with no exhaust system, just a really loud banging going on -- seems to be coming from the manifold side of the motor, AND there is a lot of fresh oil running down from under the manifold/air cleaner assembly. This is beyond my scope and skill set. Am trying to track down a local who might be able to confirm my worst suspicions, that I've thrown a rod or bent one or ????? What a mess. Cracked the block?
Want to know, in case it goes here, how do I go about finding a NEW ENGINE that is an easy REPOWER for the LEHMAN 120???
Old 31-05-2011, 18:25   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

What a bummer. Those engines are as dependable as the sun coming up in the morning. Can you find a rebuilt short block and move your parts over?. Save you loads of work. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Only way to rule out bent rod is to do a compression check. Doesn't sound good. Ford Lehmans are still available, and there always seems to be supply of used RTO's on the market.

I think you may have a cracked exh. manifold, which could account for the water in the engine to begin with. You may not need to replace entire engine. Pull the manifold and inspect.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Arghhh. You may be able to just get a rod/bearing/piston. One thing the 3rd world is good at is fixing things in lieu of replacing. Doc Freeman's in Seattle here used to specialize in the Lehman diesel, rebuilds, replacements etc. But they've been gone for a few years now...not sure if the Lehman part spun off or not...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46   #23

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

try pulling your injectors and see if the engine will turn over without being under compression.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:32   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you didnt pull the injectors to help get the water out...Ya definitely do it!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you need parts, this might be a source at a good price:
Ford Lehman Parts
Old 01-06-2011, 13:30   #26

GREAT NEWS! all you Lehman fans are right again. Built strong. Turns out I knocked a connecting rod loose from the #1 rocker arm and boy can that make one hell of a lot of noise!! Put it back together and my big baby purrs like a kitten. No evidence of any residual water but will run it under load and change oil again. I'm a very happy guy right now.
Old 01-06-2011, 13:31   #27

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Congrats. Glad to hear you are making good progress.
Old 01-06-2011, 17:03   #28

I have to say this; when you're in a tiny little lagoon and you don't know anyone and you fill your boat engine with salt water, it really makes a HUGE difference to have so many people out there willing to take time to walk a guy through everything that's involved with not crossing over into complete disaster. I want to very sincerely thank EVERYONE who reached out! So f-ing cool.
Old 01-06-2011, 18:22   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

YAHOO! Thanks goodness...Funny...that happened to me on a Perkins once . It ran decent but was having other issues. Finally discovered it when I had a compression test done. We were about to pull the engine, but pulled the valve cover first...!!
Old 05-06-2011, 20:09   #30
F51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H. View Post
GREAT NEWS! all you Lehman fans are right again. Built strong. Turns out I knocked a connecting rod loose from the #1 rocker arm and boy can that make one hell of a lot of noise!! Put it back together and my big baby purrs like a kitten. No evidence of any residual water but will run it under load and change oil again. I'm a very happy guy right now.
Geoff,
You said connecting rod in your post. Didn't you mean pushrod? The pushrods activate the rocker arms, not the connecting rods. Anyway glad you got it back together and running smoothly. The Lehman is based on a Ford Industrial engine and they are the next thing to bullet-proof!

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: