Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 10:16   #16

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Help! dealer rip off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
The engine plate states that for parts you quote WOC No K18288. Anyone know what the WOC number is?
WOC = Works Order Card - enables Beta dealers to identify the exact spec and extras supplied, etc. (though never been sure why they can't tell this from engine serial no. alone).
Old 04-02-2016, 11:07   #17

Boat: Mason 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Hi, need a new starter for a Beta marine BV1505 35.7hp. Just got quoted over $600 from the Beta dealers which seem, shall we say a little excessive!!!! A search on EBay showed apparently the same part for $86 but no confirmation that it is correct in the lisy of applications. The engine plate states that for parts you quote WOC No K18288. Anyone know what the WOC number is?
Can't get the old one as itis in Aruba and I am in Canada, I need to take the new one down on my next trip
The K18288 number looks like Beta's build number. As the engine is a marinised Kubota, Beta assign their own number which is individual to that engine.. This is useful to Beta or a dealer when identifying the details of the marinisation.
englishseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:07   #18

I see multiple replies in here that a starter from a tractor or lawn mowers etc from a non marine supplier, with the associated non marine price tag, is a good option. I thought marine starters were made different from "land based starters" because of the spark protection that land based starters don't have. Thus much less likely to ignite gas vapors that settle in the bilge area and reducing the chance of your boat acting like a roman candle. Do I have this wrong? I'm new to boating so I may have my wires crossed here.
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:23   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Avenger View Post
I see multiple replies in here that a starter from a tractor or lawn mowers etc from a non marine supplier, with the associated non marine price tag, is a good option. I thought marine starters were made different from "land based starters" because of the spark protection that land based starters don't have. Thus much less likely to ignite gas vapors that settle in the bilge area and reducing the chance of your boat acting like a roman candle. Do I have this wrong? I'm new to boating so I may have my wires crossed here.
Requirements for a diesel engine are less stringent than a gasoline engine.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:36   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Avenger View Post
Nope. They're all pretty much the same. All starters need ignition protection just because of their application.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote