Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 08:20   #1

Boat: 1970 Morgan M38
Help! About to make a Yanmar Warranty claim on a brand new engine

Hey Cruisers,

early February, my old 3QM30 finally kicked the bucket. Not necessarily that it was totally dead, but the cost of continually fixing it became more than I could bear. So, I bought and had installed a brand new Yanmar 3YM30 in Fort Myers Beach.

Long story short, the engine overheated and now theres a ton of water in the oil. I expect a corrupted head gasket or worse. I already drained the water from the oil, by the way.

What Happened: The engine belt was rubbing badly on the coolant hose that wraps around the front of the engine. When the alarm started going off I slowed the engine to a crawl but I couldnt shut her down completely because we were in a fast current heavily trafficked area. After about another 5 minutes motoring at low speeds, we were able to pull off and work on the problem. I found the gash in the hose, had to bend the hose supports out away from the engine to give clearance between the belt and the hose, and added a layer of rescue tape to patch up the gap.

I don't see how this would be anything but a manufacturer or installer fault, so I will be working on Yanmar to make sure the warranty covers it.

Does anyone else have experience working with Yanmar's Warranty department? I just spent about $10,000 parts and labor getting this motor installed and I'll be damned if after only 22 hours running the motor they tell me its my fault.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:38   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Help! About to make a Yanmar Warranty claim on a brand new engine

Doesn't sound like a warranty problem. More like an installer problem.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 08:49   #3

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Wo installed it yanmar certified mechanic or marine certified is there warranty valid based on who installs and works on it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 09:08   #4

Boat: Caliber 40

The story is a little hard to understand. Please note the attached photo.

I see a fan belt running from the primary drive pulley up to the alternator. The top half is shielded by a cover. Which part of the fan belt rubbed on which rubber tube or hose?

All those parts (belt, hoses, pulley, alternator, shield) seem to be rigidly fixed so how did the belt end up impinging on the hose?

I do see what looks to be a coupling in the hose running to the heat exchanger. Did that coupling shift and allow the hose to slide in toward the fan belt?

I've read a lot about Yanmar warranty issues with saildrives and heat exchangers. Yanmar is not very accepting of warranty claims in those cases. Yanmar did warranty a problem with my 4JH2E heat exchanger in the first year and 100-hours of use and I had no problem getting them to pay for it.

Your problem sounds like an installer mistake:
- not tightening the clamps and mounts that secure the rubber hoses
- not tightening the sliding coupler on the rubber hose.

Good Luck and the good new is that a diesel head gasket / warped head problem is usually not that hard to fix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3YM20_700-575.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	99158  
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 09:12   #5

call your insurance company put in a claim. they will go after yanmar if it is warranted by the surveyor
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 09:39   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've seen a number of threads about Yanmar not honoring warranties but never seen a thread about how wonderful Yanmar was about honoring them. I had to replace a pilot shaft once that had a groove worn in it by the oil seal. The replacement did not even last a hundred hours until it too began leaking oil. I pulled it and it was worn in the same manner as the original. I called Yanmar and their response was "Yea, that happens". They would not replace the part or give me discount on the new one. I for one would not be willing to bet on the OPs success in getting anything out of Yanmar.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 09:43   #7

I think that may be correct I bet they fall back on not shutting the engine off right away.

Old 23-03-2015, 10:41   #8

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Back a few years ago our son was crossing the gulf with his boat on which the engine had just been installed and certified by YANMAR as new. This was necessary as the previous owner had not used the engine but had only installed it. The engine was in a power boat and was a six cyclinder turbo unit.

Just 12 miles of of Pensacola, coming from Marco Island she froze solid. Sea Tow towed him at a cost of $1200.

We had an independent diesel mech take a oil sample before we called YANMAR.

After about three weeks they replaced the engine with a new one and paid all related expenses. It was never determine what caused the problem.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:36   #9

I think it will be how you approach them hopefully they well do the right thing if it's not a installer issue

Old 23-03-2015, 13:51   #10

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
Back a few years ago our son was crossing the gulf with his boat on which the engine had just been installed and certified by YANMAR as new. This was necessary as the previous owner had not used the engine but had only installed it. The engine was in a power boat and was a six cyclinder turbo unit.

Just 12 miles of of Pensacola, coming from Marco Island she froze solid. Sea Tow towed him at a cost of $1200.

We had an independent diesel mech take a oil sample before we called YANMAR.

After about three weeks they replaced the engine with a new one and paid all related expenses. It was never determine what caused the problem.
Good for you! I hope the OP does so well. I hope he posts once he gets a response from Yanmar.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 13:55   #11

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

When my new engines were installed ,an Engineer from the supplier , a Yanmar Dealer in Australia, required a test sail and inspection before the warranty could be registered. He picked up on a couple of items including pipes and cables too close to moving parts! These had to be fixed before a warranty was in place. I assume you didn't have this excellent service ? Your problem is either an Installer or an Owner problem.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 14:59   #12

I had the same issue with the same motor 2 years ago in Langkawi, fortunately, I noticed it quickly and didn't cook the motor. The fault is that the bracket holding the coolant pipe is inadequate, and the installer leaned his knee against it and bent it in and on to the belt.
Bingo!
gatormate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 16:03   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

sounds like a tough situation but when the alarm went off you needed to shut down the engine or else risk making a big bucks mistake. it does seem like yanmar could have extended the belt guard a bit lower and this would not have happened
Old 23-03-2015, 16:06   #14

Boat: CS36T

Get a Beta
Old 23-03-2015, 16:37   #15

Boat: Liberty 458

A belt rubbing through a hose is the type of problem a quick visual inspection would find. If I was Yanmar I wouldn't warranty that. Im assuming they didnt install it like that.

Who installed it? Sounds like the problem lies with them. Checking the vitals and configuring the system properly is usually not something the engine manufacturer can control. They usually have exclusions for improper installation or maintenance.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, overheating, warranty, yanmar