Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-11-2013, 23:15   #1

heat exchanger vs std cooling

Does anyone have information regarding the pros and cons of keel coolers vs standard cooling methods?--Thanks, Captain ray

Old 16-11-2013, 10:04   #2

Re: heat exchanger vs std cooling

Ray, if you give the type ,size,construction(wood,glass,metal?) and intended use of the boat, it will make it easier to come up with answers(opinions). There is nothing wrong with keel cooling, but remember that you still need a through hull and salt water pump to cool the exhaust, unless you go with a DRY STACK which tends to be much noisier. Good Luck ______Grant.

Old 16-11-2013, 11:39   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Keel cooling almost always includes a dry stack exhaust. If you have to install a sea water pump to cool the exhaust, why not cool the engine with the same water.

Keel coolers certainly are reliable. The glycol engine circulating pump (the one that pumps the glycol to and from the keel cooler is much, much more reliable than a raw water pump. And you may have a use for the sea water drive like a hydraulic pump or whatever.

But dry stack exhausts are bulky, require insulation and a chimney/chase to carry the heat up and out. Soot from the exhaust often falls on the boat. So they are rarely used in recreational boats.

David
Old 16-11-2013, 11:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The dry stack is definitely the downside to using a keel cooler. I was all for it until someone pointed out that little detail. Had not thought of keeping a salt water pump just to cool the exhaust. That is an idea.

The other concern with a keel cooler is corrosion and potential damage to the system from bumping into debris or whatever.
Old 16-11-2013, 19:11   #5

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain ray View Post
Does anyone have information regarding the pros and cons of keel coolers vs standard cooling methods?--Thanks, Captain ray
I chose to keel cool to avoid the issues that go with failed salt water impellers, the risk of engine overheating due to blocked intake. I still have salt water for exhaust cooling so is not a complete solution but exhaust heating probably slower onset and more time to intervene. Keel cooling probably better in heavily silted, shallow areas or with lots of plastic. Arguably eliminates the issues of engine flooding with prolonged starting problems - minor virtue. One less intake to fail.
Old 16-11-2013, 19:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The other concern with a keel cooler is corrosion and potential damage to the system from bumping into debris or whatever.
On a steel boat the cooling runs are welded on channel and not easily damaged. Appropriate fairing probably reduces risk in other hull materials.
Old 16-11-2013, 19:15   #7
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know of several keel cooler installations where the engine can not be used off any length of time under any load, if the boat is not moving through the water !

dave
Old 16-11-2013, 19:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I know of several keel cooler installations where the engine can not be used off any length of time under any load, if the boat is not moving through the water ! dave
Inadequately designed/built obviously. There is good design data available that i have found in texts previously. I did the calcs then doubled it - no problem in steel.

Tags
cooling, heat exchanger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: