Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2009, 06:42   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Heat Exchanger Problem

Hello All,

I noticed water leaking out of the heat exchanger which i put down to a faulty radiator cap which i replaced.This did not stop the leak and on closer inspection I have discovered a hairline crack at the base of the flange were the mild steel meets the cast iron {BOWMAN HEAT EXCHANGER} . The correct thing to do would be to remove the heat exchanger and get the base of the flange welded however removing the heat exchanger looks like a difficult job and one i have not done before and the fact that despite a global recession finding a Welder in Sydney {especially a good one}is harder then finding a marine refrigeration mechanic ! just about impossible,plus I need to move out of this marina as it is costing too much.
My question is has anyone had any experience with a product called JB WELD a cold welding product that can withstand heat up to 500c or has anyone got any ideas of how i could fix this hairline crack without removing the Heat exchanger.Failing all that how hard is it to remove and replace.

As always would appreciate any advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	7952  
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 09:09   #2

I tried fixing a yanmar heat exchanger in trinidad with JB weld once (one of my favorite bits of goo!) did a very neat job, took my time etc. First time I ran the engine to full temp it failed .....not good for heat. I ended up taking it off and getting it properly repaired. Welding the cast iron will take a very knowledgeable welder also... be carefull. Best solution might be to get someone in who can braze it with a torch. They could likely do that in place. Maybe a propane torch and some sort of plumbing solder for copper tubing would work... prep/flux will be the important part.. Are you sure it's cracked, or was it just pressed in and leaking?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 10:26   #3

Boat: Irwin sloop
I had to deal with the same problem on a Westerbeke surge tank but it was aluminum with a bronze filler neck soldered in place. The only real solution I could find was to take it to a radiator repair shop. They cleaned it, repaired it, and repainted it, and it's still working fine 7 years later. They said it's a common problem and that was why they had the right paint on hand.
Good luck Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 10:37   #4

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
used JB Weld to fix...

crack in the exhaust mainifold in my Fiat Spider convertible. Initially, the idea was a temporary repair to quiet it down until I had time to deal with it. I sold it 5 years and 30k miles later with the original JB Weld on it. I used JB Weld to reattach the bolt to the heat exchanger tube that the heat exhanger zinc threads through. Temp repair to get us home, and it is still holding after 8 years and about 500 engine hours. Universal diesel.

Give it a try. Be sure the surfaces are clean and let it cure at least 24 hours.

Steve
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 10:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Aremco Products, Inc. “Pyro-Putty 657" Hi-Temp Epoxy claims to repair Cast Iron & Steel.
Aremco: High Temperature Automotive Restoration Products

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52   #6
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Thanks for your responces I ended up trying the JB WELD and so far so good ,have done about 10 hrs so far and the goo weld appears to be holding well .I could end up falling in love with this stuff!!
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16   #7

hmmm....

Wow, that's wierd the JB worked for you guys in that application... I wonder if mine had gone bad form being stored on the boat too long...? I used it once to repair a cracked pulley on a generator and it worked great! ANyway, glad it worked out...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:07   #8

Boat: Solaris, Sunstream 12, 12.12meters
Re: Heat Exchanger Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Thanks for your responces I ended up trying the JB WELD and so far so good ,have done about 10 hrs so far and the goo weld appears to be holding well .I could end up falling in love with this stuff!!
i have a similar problem on Yanmar 3JH4E .the filler neck is swaged into the top of the heat exchanger and has become a bit loose ,there is hardly any water loss at all ,so i will try the JB Weld first before trying to dismantle the heat exchanger and welding it up.

Anyone else had any success with these kind of products?

Thanks for any information.
Ocean Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:05   #9

Boat: Solaris, Sunstream 12, 12.12meters
Re: Heat Exchanger Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Sky View Post
i have a similar problem on Yanmar 3JH4E .the filler neck is swaged into the top of the heat exchanger and has become a bit loose ,there is hardly any water loss at all ,so i will try the JB Weld first before trying to dismantle the heat exchanger and welding it up.

Anyone else had any success with these kind of products?

Thanks for any information.
this is the heat Exchanger filler neck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat exchanger.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	147482  
Ocean Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger