Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2018, 15:39   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
Head removal of Perkins 4.108

Hello

I would like to rebuilt my sailing boat engine.
I could find some good videos with details how to assemble the engine.

But i could not find any about disassembling of engine from the start.

Anyone can give me link to a video which could help me.
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 16:02   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Head removal of Perkins 4.108

Well I'm no mechanic but I reckon here is a clip on how not to do it.

I don't think there is anything difficult in dis-assembly of a motor. The thing I find hard is not having some parts left over after I have done the re-assembly.

NOTE when you put the head back on, you need to tighten the bolts in a specific order. (If you don't know what you are doing it is probably cheaper to get someone who does.)

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 16:30   #3

I was hoping to get something as next.

Old 17-11-2018, 16:35   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

I just did mine. Get the workshop manual and go to town. Drain fluids and start taking parts off. It’s not that hard. Bag and label all parts coming off for re-assembly. Hardest part was actually getting the head off for the first time in almost 40 years.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 17:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I just did mine. Get the workshop manual and go to town. Drain fluids and start taking parts off. It’s not that hard. Bag and label all parts coming off for re-assembly. Hardest part was actually getting the head off for the first time in almost 40 years.

I did an overhaul on the engine of my first car. It was easy as I knew all about engines (so I thought). I couldn't get it started as it coughed, farted and back-fired.

After spending a day on it I got my Father to look at it but couldn't locate the problem. So in desperation I got the local mechanic in. After about fifteen minutes he got a worried look on his face and asked "you haven't had the distributor out have you?" I confirmed I had and then he asked how I put it back in. I told him "I put it into that hole there".

Of course he went berserk and told me to keep my nose out of things when I didn't know what I was doing.

My mate (also an expert) when he had his first car. He replaced a head gasket but from then on the motor started to overheat, particularly under load. After getting his mechanic mate in to help it was discovered he had put the gasket in back-to-front thus blocking off all the water galleries in the head.

Clive
Old 17-11-2018, 18:04   #6
rbk

Perkins head gaskets are labeled for install. If you put the distributor back on your 4108 backwards you are the worlds most amazing mechanic
Old 17-11-2018, 18:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Perkins head gaskets are labeled for install. If you put the distributor back on your 4108 backwards you are the worlds most amazing mechanic

Eh?

There is no distributor on a Perkins 4-108 (it is a diesel)!!!

(My mate's first car was not Perkins powered either)

Clive
Old 17-11-2018, 19:07   #8

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Don't think I'd be using the video you linked to, his knowledge seemed rather limited to me.

The best thing to do is not get advice from random Youtube videos; there are some out there with good information, but there are many more with bad.

The better thing to do would be to get a Perkins service manual and read and study it before you pick up a wrench.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vAxdQCPNG0nakC

Sometimes studying a parts catalog also helps clarify certain aspects.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2bl-fHK1QBSLTo

Once you're familiar with it, there are some simple guidelines to follow.

If there is a tightening sequence to follow in installing a part, it is best (though not usually strictly necessary) to reverse the process when removing it. I think it helps get into the 'rhythm' of mechanicing to do so...and is good practice for when you're re-installing such parts.

If two parts are in contact with each other when the engine is running, and you're reusing them, you should ensure that they are returned to the same position that they were removed from. In other words, pistons go in the same holes they were removed from; lifters and pushrods, bearing caps and anything else along those lines, likewise.

I like using memory, but if you're new to this, the ease of taking pictures nowadays makes remembering how things go back together very easy indeed.

Clean the engine before disassembly.

Patience and cleanliness when reassembling are very important.

I something seems stuck, check for the third time that all the bolts are out.

Take your time and don't be afraid to ask for help or advice.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 19:14   #9
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Eh?

There is no distributor on a Perkins 4-108 (it is a diesel)!!!

(My mate's first car was not Perkins powered either)

Clive
And that would make you an exceptional mechanic if you could actually do it.
Old 17-11-2018, 22:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Don't think I'd be using the video you linked to, his knowledge seemed rather limited to me.

I said "Well I'm no mechanic but I reckon here is a clip on how not to do it."

So you agree with me?

I'd be checking the state of threads, corrosion, rust etc as I disassembled components. But since I have better things to do with my time I'd get a mechanic to handle the job (and that would no doubt be cheaper in the long run because there would be no stuff-ups)

Clive.
Old 17-11-2018, 22:50   #11

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Sorry, I was talking about the video the OP linked to. Regarding how not to do it, while I don't, I've seen many people tear down engines with an impact. It is faster, unless you screw something up...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 14:34   #12

jimbunyard

Thank you

I have to check for parts in Panama city as first as I am in Panama now.
Old 18-11-2018, 20:15   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I started out modifying outboards for my hydroplanes as a youth, maybe starting out when I was 12, then moved onto muscle car engines, then motorcycle engines, which were the most challenging since they already come in a high state of tune.
When I recently rebuilt my 4108 it was like turning on the wayback machine, they are pretty straight forward mechanical engines, but have lots of parts because they are totally mechanical motors.
Tips for a happy and successful rebuild.
- As you remove parts take pictures.
- Label and bag all the parts, assess the condition of those parts as you do this, some will be reusable, some not.
- Take more pictures.
- If you have not taken apart this particular type of engine before, take notes to accompany your pictures.
- Buy a shop manual, the Perkins manual is an excellent manual, yes it's a bt wordy in parts but very thorough.
- Have a MAP gas torch handy, MAP gas torches provide a hotter flame than a propane torch. Some bolts which have been in the motor for decades don't want to leave that casting. Heating the casting boss into which the bolt is secured will allow the bolt to come out easily without stripping the bolt or the hole it came out of. This avoids a lot of costly rework later.
- If your going to do a total rebuild buy quality parts, these are sleeved engines, in other words, you don't bore the existing cylinders, you buy a kit with new sleeves and pistons, bearing, seals, valves, valve guides, etc.
- find a quality machine shop which is familiar with these motors, an average machine shop only knows chevy small blocks and popular motors. The shop I used is a one man shop who took extreme care to properly machine the engine. even though the motor gets re-sleeved, the new sleeves need to be final honed to match the pistons. In my case the machinist matched the individual cylinders to the individual pistons to get the tolerances just right.
- Take your time, patience will pay off.
- Have the injector pump rebuilt by a reputable service.
- Measure, measure, measure. when your bock and parts come back fromt he machine shop, don't assume it's all correct, measure all the parts for tolerance before assembling, especially the crankshaft to crankshaft bearing tolerances and piston to cylinder tolerances. I've found mistakes more than once over the years which would have led to catastrophic failure upon first startup.
- Use torque wrench on everything, proper assembly pays off in the end.
- Even though this was the first 4108 I've rebuilt the thorough rebuild process paid off, the motor started and ran flawlessly on the first kick on my test stand. It's now in the boat and runs nicely, the only thing I had to do was adjust the idle speed, which was off due to the injector pump rebuild, if the idle is too high it can make starting hard since it tends to flood upon starting.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 05:29   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Good stuff
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 18:34   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Well I'm no mechanic but I reckon here is a clip on how not to do it.

I don't think there is anything difficult in dis-assembly of a motor. The thing I find hard is not having some parts left over after I have done the re-assembly.

NOTE when you put the head back on, you need to tighten the bolts in a specific order. (If you don't know what you are doing it is probably cheaper to get someone who does.)

Clive
Hey, what could possibly go wrong?
That video makes me cringe.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, perkins, removal