Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 23:43   #1

Boat: Compass 28
Hand-crank Yanmar 2GM?

I modestly describe myself as the most sensible, efficient, knowledgeable, good-looking and best-prepared persons on the seven seas.

But I reckon that, one of these days, even I will be faced with 2 flat batteries &/or a dodgy starter. I imagine I might find myself wishing fervently that I knew how to get the engine going, as I drift to my doom on that nasty lee shore.

Should one hand-crank with one cylinder decompressed? Should one have a can of that aero-start stuff? Should one have a temporarily connected push-button one can step on as one cranks, to get some help from the starter? Should one have a clever way of closing a decompressor as one hand cranks?

I'm sure someone has done this successfully before on a 2-cylnder donk like mine, and lived to tell the tale. I'm not interested in responses from those that didn't.

tks, lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 04:23   #2

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Hand-crank Yanmar 2GM?

guess no-one lived to tell the tale.Even though you're not interested, I went to a lot of trouble to find a chain to reconnect the hand crank on my 2qm20 and guess what - unless you're a 300pound weight lifter (and even then maybe not) ya cant hand crank it. Hope the 2gm is easier. (the hand crank is pretty useful for bleeding the fuel system though)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 07:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Hand-crank Yanmar 2GM?

If you are going to start this engine by hand, definately start on one cylinder only. Once it fires you can flip the decompressor lever to bring the 2nd cylinder on line. The reason that this engine is so hard to start manually is because it has a very light flywheel. The old Volvo and Farymann diesels had a very heavy flywheel and you used the hand crank to get the speed up before flipping the decompressor lever. The inertia of the heavy flywheel then helped turn the engine past TDC and its firing point. With the light Yanmar flywheel you have to make the effort and be very careful. If you dont have the engine speed up enough and dont put enough into swinging the hand crank, it will just stop before TDC and can break your wrist.

Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, yanmar