Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 20:31   #1

Boat: Folk boat M26
Hand crank question

Ok, so after doing (to me) a lot of work on my yanmar ysm8 I've discovered I can now start by hand cranking. My question is: should the ignition be on before cranking, turned on after starting or just left off.
Obviously it starts without it being on but I suspect it should be on before hand.
12 volt electrics are the next part of my learning curve :-))
Windward mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 20:40   #2

Re: Hand crank question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward mark View Post
Ok, so after doing (to me) a lot of work on my yanmar ysm8 I've discovered I can now start by hand cranking. My question is: should the ignition be on before cranking, turned on after starting or just left off.
Obviously it starts without it being on but I suspect it should be on before hand.
12 volt electrics are the next part of my learning curve :-))
As you will want the ignition on when the alternator kicks in, I would have the ignition switch on.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 20:51   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
As you will want the ignition on when the alternator kicks in, I would have the ignition switch on.
I agree.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 13:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Not sure if there is a problem with the alternator. Have turned the key on and off and hand cranked the diesel on our last boat many times with the key off without any problems.

There is no ignition switch on a diesel. The 'switch' activates the electrical system, flashes the field on the alternator so it will can produce electricity with enough rpm's and, if wired and has a position for it, engages the starter. Without the switch on and no electricity to the alternator when the engine is started, it will just sit there and spin without producing current. Once the field is flashed, the alternator is self energized and will continue to produce electricity whether the key is on or off. The question is whether the engine switch could disconnect the alternator from any electrical load which could blow the diodes the same way as turning the battery switch to OFF with the engine running above idle. I almost always turn the key off before pulling the engine shut off cable because I don't like the sound of the oil pressure and temp warning horns with no problems on our Yanmar 3GM30f. Crank started our old Volvo MD2 for over ten years, most of the time with the key off, without a problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote