Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-07-2010, 05:54   #16

since there are a decent amount of solids in the gunk. As well as organic life. The only sure fire way to extract it is with a manual cleaning.

what are the rough dimensions of the rear tank?

Old 18-07-2010, 06:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 39ft Challenger and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
What about plastic tanks? I got one for my outboard that is easy 30 years old and looks like new. Somebody told me to keep tanks full to stop or minimise condensation.

Old 18-07-2010, 14:34   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Nothing seriously wrong with plastic tanks, and yes keeping the tanks fairly full will help minimize condensation. Another thought, if you have room for one is a day use fuel tank holding enough fuel for four or five hours operation by the engine. Fuel would be drawn from your main fuel tank, passed through the polishing filters and into the day-use tank. As this tank would have only clean fuel you should have at least that much motoring time during which you could service your primary filters if they start getting clogged by algae or particulates.

The main thing is, once you have your tanks cleaned, keep them that way with a good biocide and fuel polishing.
Old 18-07-2010, 15:02   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
The main thing is, once you have your tanks cleaned, keep them that way with a good biocide and fuel polishing.
We build a home made polisher earlier this year. Standard CAV filter and a small electric pump that runs about 25 US gallons an hour. Thankfully our tank slopes downwards to a convienent tap in the bottom of an end wall.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	17797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel2.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	17798  

Old 19-07-2010, 17:34   #20

Maybe I can shine some light on all this fuel polishing stuff. This is not SPAM. I clean diesel fuel for a living. I do it for mostly for banks, data centres, hospitals but sometimes for boats as well. Fuel goes bad generally for 2 reasons: Age allows sludge to accumulate in the tank bottom and when the boat moves about, it gets into the filters, Raycor's etc. A process called re-polymerization causes sludge. It is simply cracked carbon molecules that have a positive and negative pole. They attached themselves back together and as the carbon chains get bigger they fall to the bottom of the tank as sludge. It's a mini reverse refinery in your fuel tank. The sludge can be reclaimed as fuel by breaking up the carbon chains. Thatís why the Algae-X systems are so effective. They run a proper circular magnet in their systems that break up the carbon chains. It's very simple physics. The other problem is water that causes microbe activity. The microbes themselves are harmless but their discharge causes all kinds of issues. The pH of the water in the tank is lowered considerably, which causes the water to turn to acid. Bad news for tanks, fuel lines, injectors etc. Algae cannot grow in a gas tank. It needs light to grow. Adding a high end additive ( I would recommend one but then this would be SPAM) helps keep the tank walls clean and yes, the fuel and tank can be cleaned without removing them from the boat. Think about this: when I clean the fuel in the largest data centre in Canada, (nearly 1,000,000 liters of fuel) I donít remove the tanks from the site. I clean the fuel in the tank. I use a proper fuel polishing system and a proper additive. The additive will act as a detergent and break down the sludge and wax buildup on the tank walls and it them gets sent through the polishing system. NO WAY do the tanks need to be removed from the boat.
Old 19-07-2010, 17:56   #21

Boat: 1984 CS 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Eyes View Post
[COLOR=black]Adding a high end additive ( I would recommend one but then this would be SPAM) helps keep the tank walls clean
aw c'mon, please?

if you're honestly not involved with whatever company you'd recommend, doesn't seem like spam to me - more like helpful advice
Old 19-07-2010, 20:00   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Mechanical Removal?

When the aluminium fuel tanks on Boracay were made/installed a whole lot of aluminium filings found their way to the bottom of the tank. They didn't seem to cause any problems but when the fuel in the tanks got low enough I pumped the remainder out using a vacuum oil pump and used a rag to clean out virtually all of them.

I should imaging that a similar procedure could be used to clean out your "gunk". Maybe a brush on the end of a stick could be used?

I have had a problem with algal growth suspended in the fuel blocking the filters so I always use an additive now.

As a Moderator we do go (mostly!) by the Rules and there is no Rule against recommending a quality product or service. Where we sometimes run into trouble is when a Member who is not a Vendor starts promoting their own product or service.
Old 19-07-2010, 20:18   #23

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
No magic bullet here-tanks need large inspection plates for cleaning-bio additave should be used as routine-A multistage fuel filtration Sx with a large high capacity spin off mud filter should be installed with vacume gages so if you have a problem in high seas you just spin off mud filter and spin on new one-a outboard bulb pump in line or loop lined as part of system for instant re prime and off you go in less than five min. look all this up on boatdiesel site. these problems are common to fuel sx and the commercial guys deal with it all the time.
Old 19-07-2010, 20:39   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
So Algae-X now..........(I'm sorry, I can't continue)
Old 19-07-2010, 23:04   #25

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Maybe someone can talk practical sailor into testing Algae-X- from the input on boatdiesel.com I would not bet too much on its effectiveness. as to advertising its advertising. It is amazing what clams are made on so many products sold through advertizing-sometimes I think if there were real truth in advertiseing cops with big sharp teeth the magazines and airwaves would go out of buissness due to lack of adds.
Old 19-07-2010, 23:33   #26

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Raycor has a biocide that I have had good luck with.
Old 20-07-2010, 01:24   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 39ft Challenger and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
I think the smart way to go is to have a small gravity feed Day-tank( 30l) like I got and pump from a bigger tank (90l) trough a good filter into the day tank. My motor is only 18hp so my day tank is plenty big enough but bigger motors could have the same setup made to suit.
My boat was build in the 80's , a H28 build by Compass in NZ and they thought it was a good idea so why don't they do that in more modern boats?
It makes a lot of sense to me.

Reiner
Old 20-07-2010, 03:19   #28

Boat: Newport 41-s
Send a message via Skype™ to Tomek-N41
Hallo Alan, for 42 years I am using ATF, is excellent detergent, lubricant & is very combustible, wen I change my fuel filters I feel them with ATF 100% and start the motor. Before I fuel up my tank ( 60 g.) I dump 1 gallon ATF so is mixed good with fuel, ATF slowly cleans the tank, kills bacteria, lubricate fuel & injection pumps,cleans valves & makes yours engine run quiet, extends life of the fuel filters double or more, no smoke, in a emergency situation I did ( 50/50 ) 5g. fuel, 5g. ATF, I was short on fuel & no problemo. I am truck driver/mechanic (Mercedes diesel technician before I move to US) for 3.5 mil miles on Mack & Freightliner with Caterpillar engine also adding ATF. In my family cars ( MB,Volvo's,66GTO, Toyota,Nissan & Chevy Astro with 228000 miles also mixing ATF. Gooooood luck, Tomek GTO
Old 20-07-2010, 05:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Eyes View Post
...They run a proper circular magnet in their systems that break up the carbon chains.
HAHAHA! MAGNETS. Folks this is snake oil. Totally discredits Algae-X even if it otherwise might work. Magnets can't affect the gunk. Magnets of infinite power won't kill the weakest of bacteria. Chemical reactions are only affected by magnets in a few weird cases. Not this one. Not Spam? Sheesh!
Old 20-07-2010, 05:42   #30
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek-N41 View Post
Hallo Alan, for 42 years I am using ATF, is excellent detergent, lubricant & is very combustible, wen I change my fuel filters I feel them with ATF 100% and start the motor. Before I fuel up my tank ( 60 g.) I dump 1 gallon ATF so is mixed good with fuel, ATF slowly cleans the tank, kills bacteria, lubricate fuel & injection pumps,cleans valves & makes yours engine run quiet, extends life of the fuel filters double or more, no smoke, in a emergency situation I did ( 50/50 ) 5g. fuel, 5g. ATF, I was short on fuel & no problemo. I am truck driver/mechanic (Mercedes diesel technician before I move to US) for 3.5 mil miles on Mack & Freightliner with Caterpillar engine also adding ATF. In my family cars ( MB,Volvo's,66GTO, Toyota,Nissan & Chevy Astro with 228000 miles also mixing ATF. Gooooood luck, Tomek GTO
What is ATF?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: