Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24   #1

Gulfstar 50 Fuel tank

I have a Gulfstar 50 and have approx. 50 gallons of fuel that has to be removed. Then I need to clean the tank. Does anyone have any experience doing this or any advice to offer?
Captfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Gulfstar 50 Fuel tank

There are probably 100 threads on fuel tanks. Have you read any of them? Use the Google search box under the Search tab.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 00:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There are probably 100 threads on fuel tanks. Have you read any of them? Use the Google search box under the Search tab.
Thanks, I was hoping that the info was out there but I am trying to do this on my new iPhone app and am having a devil of a time. I will keep trying but in the meantime if anyone can offer any advice I would appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:20   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I googled diesel polishing tank cleaning and I put just Tampa Florida for my area it came up with four places that do it mobil . Not sure where you're at but try that.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30   #5

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

If you just want the fuel out, put it on craigslist for free. A biodiesel guy will come along promptly I would guess and do all the pump out work.

Fuel polishing does not get the crud out that is stuck to the tank, you need access of some sort. I made a handhole in my tank and fabricated a cover plate, tapped fine thread screws into the 1/8" aluminum.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
If you just want the fuel out, put it on craigslist for free. A biodiesel guy will come along promptly I would guess and do all the pump out work.

Fuel polishing does not get the crud out that is stuck to the tank, you need access of some sort. I made a handhole in my tank and fabricated a cover plate, tapped fine thread screws into the 1/8" aluminum.
I never thought about just giving it away! I don't know how old it is and I just don't want it. I would rather start fresh. That solves half of the problem. Now to get access to the inside of the tank that seems to be molded into the keel with no access.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I googled diesel polishing tank cleaning and I put just Tampa Florida for my area it came up with four places that do it mobil . Not sure where you're at but try that.
I will give that a shot. We are on Deal Island,MD. Some say it's the end of the earth but we love it!!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12   #8

Boat: Marine Trader RPH 49'

There is someone just outside of Baltimore who will hall the fuel away for free. He burns it in his heater, but he is not insured. Found him on Craigslist. Most marinas require anyone doing work to be insured. There is an environmental company outside of Dover on 13 that is insured and will suck out your tank for a fee.
ke3su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke3su View Post
There is someone just outside of Baltimore who will hall the fuel away for free. He burns it in his heater, but he is not insured. Found him on Craigslist. Most marinas require anyone doing work to be insured. There is an environmental company outside of Dover on 13 that is insured and will suck out your tank for a fee.
Craigslist looks like the best place to start! Thanks for the tip!!

Tags
fuel, gulfstar