Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 03:52   #31

Re: Going Electric: Will the batteries explode ?

Quote: "Baghira is..." steel.

But I thot old Rudyard told us that Baghira had "...a skin softer than dawn."?

Some years ago another Bagheera prospered mightily against all the rest of the local PHRF (Pacific Handicap Racing Formula) fleet in these waters.

You might enjoy this (by now antique) article about her. It should help to support your dream :-) :

http://www.nealalexander.com/sitebui...iles/ben38.pdf

TrentePieds - once known as Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:35   #32

Re: Going Electric: Will the batteries explode ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hard to beat the power density of fossil fuel.

I agree with this analysis, but taking it one step further -- if you are a pure sail vessel only needing power in and out of port, then why bother with a shaft and large solar installation and inboard propulsion at all? Why not just use an outboard? Surely vastly cheaper, vastly lighter, less windage, simpler in every way, and at least as effective.

For a river, like the OP has, and canals, give me a reliable inboard diesel every day. For the South Pacific, you might not need any mechanical propulsion at all (the Pardeys did pretty well without it).
If someone really wants the gee-whiz of electric power, it's viable for a day sailor or a sailing purist but yes, if you are only going thru 5 gal per year, it definitely makes more sense to use an outboard. Even if you are trying to be eco-friendly, it still probably makes sense after you factor in the energy used in production of the panels and batteries.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric