Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2010, 06:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
Genset Runs Slow After Starting

I have a genset with a Perkins 107-3 (Perama M20) as the prime mover. Startup begins with turning the key for the glow plugs/electric fuel pump to run for 10 seconds or so, then cranking and it starts right up.

Lately, after starting first thing in the morning, it has dropped off frequency and almost stalled when adding a load like the reefer. (There is no electric feedback control loop for the speed)

Once it gets going, it is fine, and stays fine for any subsequent runs during the day/evening.

Through experimentation, I have found that squeezing the fuel bulb I have inline for filling the racor helps get the RPM back up, so I think it may be starving for fuel. I'm going to change the fuel filter again (changed about 200 hours ago) and see if that could be starting to clog. Could this be my electric fuel pump starting to die? It's one of the small NAPA ones.

Any insight appreciated!
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 07:52   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Yes it could...and its definitely a fuel issue...either in governing of the fuel.. ( sticky governor) or in the delivery of it as you suspect...the later is more probable.

Most fuel pumps are a pass through design and a lot of engines will draw through them if their fuel pump is running or running or not.... depending on how the engine is set up and rather it has a mechanical lift pump on the engine as well...so its possible your electric pump has been going bad for a long time with out notice till now.....They are very cheap...change it out and eliminate the possibility...or at least test its output preasure/volume.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 08:14   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
the fuel clue sounds very reasonable, change filters, clean all lines and switch to a jerry with clean fuel, test

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 09:39   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Another problem could be that the electric pump is having to much lift to start the engine but works once there is a good flow. If you relocate the pump closer to the fuel tank so that the pump is pushing more fuel then pulling it may work better. I need to do that for my generator.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 09:42   #5

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Fuel is good, I would also check the governer. I had to replace my spring because of metal fatigue, it was just noticably weaker than a new one.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 10:07   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Had a similar problem. Turned out the fuel pump was bad. Replaced it and no problemsince.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 07:50   #7

I have replaced the electric fuel pump and filter, and although it seems to be better, it still has difficulty coming right up to speed in the morning. Could be the Bahamas fuel, since that's the only thing I can think of that has changed in the last few months. Or, some more components down the chain are wearing out!

Right now the few squeezes still gets it going up to speed. Guess I'll look at learning more about the governer to see if there's something I could replace/fix there.
Old 23-10-2010, 09:57   #8

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Could the fuel bowl have a leak? Sounds like it is running dry until the fuel gets flowing. If the fuel delivery has been checked, (pump filters, etc..). That only leaves the final suction, and carb. Another thing my generator has a collection drum for fuel left over in the intake manifold. and this fuel is sucked first when starting causing rough running for a while until it is used up.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 18:04   #9

The Perkins is injected so no carb, no fuel bowl that I know of, no leaks noticed. Still stumped, it still runs fine all day after getting it fuel in the morning.
Old 15-12-2010, 11:47   #10

Started up right away and kept running without bogging down this morning, after changing the primary fuel filter also. It might be my "canary in the coal mine" to let me know it's time to change the primary filter, as I haven't had any issues with the main engine. Still no idea why it only bogged down initially and then ran fine for the rest of the day.