Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 05:23   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Generators

I am on the fence about which genset to buy and I hope some of you boaters have some comments that my help. I like the Beta, Phasor, and Westerbeke. All are 8kw diesel. Beta and Phasor use the Kubota engine, I have no idea of what the Westerbeke uses. I have a Westerbeke engine in the boat and I like it very much, I understand that my Westerbeke engine uses a Perkins. I would like to hear anything good or bad about any of the products. Thanks
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The deisel mechanic in these parts took off to florida to work for a new generator company. Frank was a skilled mechanic and now heads up the sales part of the new company. They use Kubota engines for all the gensets. I've never heared any one say a Kibota was anything other than the best.

The thing that seems to make the better gensets come to the top of the list is the weght and size. There are a lot more these days that are smaller and lighter. You still want a low rpm desiel as far as long life goes. I'ld also consinder space and access so you can maintain it easily.

I was going to add a 4Kw to my boat as it used to have one from a PO. The down side is it would sit in a spot that is perfect suited for sitting and working on the engine. I just don't think I could go through all that hassle just to make electricity.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Space is not a issue, I removed a Onan 20KW and will be replacing it with a much smaller unit. I'm thinking of how I will best use all the extra space.
Old 06-05-2004, 00:19   #4

westerbeke

I am thinking of a westerbeke myself. If you already have an engine of same manufacture I would go with the matched set. i was thinking on the lines of the watermaker/generator combo unit ...tossing it around till I decide on building the watermaker myself....to do or not to do(it yourself) I have heard nothing but good things about westerbeke as well! seem very reputable
Olympia, WA
capn_nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 13:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I will buy a Westerbeke. However there are few if any parts that will interchange with my Westerbeke 90Afour. I need to pay off my Homebase home here in Michigan and then I will see what is left for boat improvments. Not having a job means that I pay cash for everything as I go.
Old 06-05-2004, 19:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Getting rid of the Onan was a good move. I met the guy that founded the company. If there is any justice he is dead by now. Onan sucks. Being better than an Onan is not saying much.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 19:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I thought about repairing the Onan because it was a 1992 model but they (the Onan factory) do not make parts for it any longer. They said that I would be able to find parts that were on the shelves but they would be expensive. So out the junk went and a new one will be in its place.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:18   #8

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Several years ago, I went to the Newport Boat Show. In my wanderings, I encountered a man who was hawking generators. He told me that his product was the latest technology, quietest, best insulated and most reliable. I informed him that I would be impressed with his product if it was running under load while he was telling me of its virtues. He said, "it is". I put my hand on the case and it was, indeed, running. He went on to tell me that It was powering the booth. I was very impressed with the Fisher-Panda generator.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 13:51   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
!!!!!STAY AWAY FROM THE FISCHER_PANDA!!!! There are hundreds of horror stories of first hand accounts regarding the horrible service and constant failures of these units. The only people that will tell you how good they are, are those that don't really use them or those that sell them. EVERYONE we know that had one has junked it an replaced it with some other unit.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 14:06   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Solar panels, solar panels.

Way to go, quiet, no oil changes, no noise, no nothing.

Plus ya don't pie off the other guys in the anchorage who like fresh air and a quiet night, sleeping with their hatches open.

Many a times we have anchored in a nice quite spot with only the noise of the setting sun, then have some power boat anchor right on top of us, then run his gen-set all night and all day so he can watch TV, run the AC and the microwave, the blender, the hairdryer and all that.

Very quietly we have lifted the anchor and moved away to avoid getting the fumes down the hatches and poison us slowly but surely.

Big batteries and big solar panels will save ya the cost of a gen-set, and ya will make good neigbors..
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 19:11   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CSY, I know what you mean about another boat running a genset all the time, it sucks. But I do need a genset because our boat is a power hungry old girl. I will need it to use the watermaker for sure. I never plan to run it all the time. I don't want to hear it myself.
Old 10-05-2004, 15:00   #12

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I know a lot of cruisers with water makers, but none have a generator. They mostly use solar and some wind.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 16:30   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We have had a watermaker on board for years. We also run solar panels and a wind generator to keep tha batteries up. No genset.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 16:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think our watermaker motor is 3 hp and it makes over 725 gallons a day. Can that be done with solar panels?
Old 10-05-2004, 17:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I need to make something clear. I WANT A NEW GENSET. And I will be buying one as soon as I payoff my retirment home. I'm sure that solar is great and I may verywell add it sometime. I do have a windbugger that I have not been able to get working when it is on the boat but it does work on the bench.