Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2012, 22:10   #1

Boat: searching...
Gasoline in Oil Bottle?

Hi,
stupid question: I cannot find a smaller gasoline jerry can to measure a defined amount of gasoline to mix with the oil for my outboard. All smaller gasoline can's over here make it impossible to see how much gas is actually in it. Since I pump my gas out of a bigger can's, stored on deck, I have difficulty to mix the right amount for my two stroke.

Would it be an issue to mix the gas in an used oil bottle as they have the nice "see trough" window in front so I actually SEE when I have one gallon gas in it? Will a bottle survive that (No intend to store any gas in there!)?

Or any other tips how you do that while underway?

Thanks!

swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 23:11   #2

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Gasoline in Oil Bottle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Hi,
stupid question: I cannot find a smaller gasoline jerry can to measure a defined amount of gasoline to mix with the oil for my outboard. All smaller gasoline can's over here make it impossible to see how much gas is actually in it. Since I pump my gas out of a bigger can's, stored on deck, I have difficulty to mix the right amount for my two stroke.

Would it be an issue to mix the gas in an used oil bottle as they have the nice "see trough" window in front so I actually SEE when I have one gallon gas in it? Will a bottle survive that (No intend to store any gas in there!)?

Or any other tips how you do that while underway?

Thanks!
I have used 1 and 2 liter coke bottles to mix. Also, I have a plastic throw-away water bottle marked for the correct amount of oil for a 18.9 liter jerry can. This jerry can is the one that I fill-up and use to fill our dinghy tank. I measured for the mark using water and a galley measuring cup. In 7 years circumnavigating, we had no problems with this.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 25-09-2012, 23:13   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Been there, done that. I'm now going down the path of premixed with fuel stabiliser. An oil bottle would probably work for temporary use, but why bother? Double handling and double the spillage.
Old 26-09-2012, 08:26   #4

Boat: csy 37

yes.

i do the same thing you do - keep gasoline on deck in metal outboard tanks. i siphon off gas into a container to mix for the outboard - a small 3hp honda with internal tank. i've used quart oil containers and also plastic soda bottles. for a measuring cup for the oil i use small plastic aspirin bottle. i've also been known to occasionally keep a quart oil container to hold extra outboard mix - i keep it in the dinghy when making a long trip as insurance against running out of gas.

by the way, don't know where you are, but in the states one of our beer makers (coors) is now selling beer in aluminum cans with screw on tops. you can actually drink half the can, screw the top back on, put it in the fridge, and the next day it tastes just as good as if you had just opened a new can. i'm going to give that can a try as a spare outboard mix container...
Old 26-09-2012, 09:34   #5

I have kept gasoline in a 1 gallon oil jug for the past 2.5 years for my riding lawn more without a problem. ( I run the mower out of fuel on a regular bases ). Just my 2 cents, Mike.
Old 26-09-2012, 10:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

I don't even store my oil in the one gallon oil bottles it comes in. Those bottles are getting flimsier and flimsier and, after having to swab out my lazarette a couple of times due to oil leaking out of those things, I now store my oil in 2 gallon gasoline jugs. I usually carry about five or six gallons of oil for oil changes while I'm in the Bahamas so I decant it into the gasoline jugs now. No more having to clean out the lazarette. I used to keep the one gallon oil jugs in a rubbermaid tub but the oil would even leak through that. A little bit of rolling and a leak would develop in those ultra thin oil jugs.

As for measuring outboard oil, I use an old baby bottle to measure (ozs. and ccs) the oil and a two gallon gas jug.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 10:15   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Use a dip stick so you can get a close estimate of how many gallons are in the container. It's not like if your mixture ends up being 48:1 instead of 50:1 that your plugs will foul.

There are also portable gas cans with a sight on the side for determining fuel level, like this....
Boat fuel tank (portable) - SE2009 - CAN-SB MARINE PLACS

High density polyethylene is also suitable for gasoline. It is opaque and shows the level of the liquid inside quite well. Only buy one that is specifically made for gasoline.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 10:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

cant you just use a small, specific size gas container? Like a 1 gal red gas can, or a 2.5 gal one, then fill it and mix the right amount of oil....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 11:49   #9

Boat: searching...

Hi All, thanks very much - since I have some smaller gas cans I may think about the dip stick - sounds very simple and effective.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 13:59   #10

Boat: grampian 26

West Marine and others sell a graduated container for mixing two stroke oil and is scaled for different ratios of oil to gas. Takes all the guess work out of the process.
Old 27-09-2012, 14:22   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
West Marine and others sell a graduated container for mixing two stroke oil and is scaled for different ratios of oil to gas. Takes all the guess work out of the process.
Seachoice Oil To Gas Mixing Container (quart) #21000 @ $2.86

Seachoice Products | Seachoice

Amazon.com: Seachoice #21000 32oz Oil/gas Container: Sports & Outdoors

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: