Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2015, 06:49   #61
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Gasoline as a Diesel Stablizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Just waiting for that response from all those sitting in their arm chairs...

Result varies with enclosed volume and volume percentage of air above liquid...and whether or not the fluid was sloshed around on the surfaces.

Simply sitting still with 250 ml of air volume, I was able to extinguish the flame. If I swirled the mixture such that it produced a thin surface layer of liquid which would turn to vapor, I could get a small puff from ignition and the flame would die due to lack of oxygen.

KMMDW ;-)
On a larger scale I've seen that puff destroy 1/4" steel tanks.

You just aren't listening to a century of refinery and regulatory history. I'm sure you are very smart, but you are beating a dead horse.

Yes, I have sailed outside the Bay (just didn't write a book about those trips). I too have retired from engineering (Chem E, retired 54) and could talk about that or other achievements and expereinces. The thing of it is this; many of the people on this board are brilliant and amazing, and bragging--by any one--is embarrassing.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 06:52   #62
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooden head View Post
Cel phones do not cause gasoline station fires. Popular myth never born out. Some warnings have been posted by petrolium companies and cel phone companies just in case.

Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump : snopes.com
I'm guessing the actual risk is inattention. They get in the car, distracted, and drive off with the hose in the tank. That does happen.

But cell phone usage is way off topic!

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:52   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Just waiting for that response from all those sitting in their arm chairs...

Result varies with enclosed volume and volume percentage of air above liquid...and whether or not the fluid was sloshed around on the surfaces.

Simply sitting still with 250 ml of air volume, I was able to extinguish the flame. If I swirled the mixture such that it produced a thin surface layer of liquid which would turn to vapor, I could get a small puff from ignition and the flame would die due to lack of oxygen.

KMMDW ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to prove thinwater’s point. That cup could represent a tank or bilge, the lighter, contacts changing state, hot exhaust, generator windings, static discharge…

Might there be a reason tank construction, location, venting requirements etc... varies based on its contents?

It would be irresponsible to have a discussion about adding gasoline to a system designed for diesel, without discussing the unintended consequences.

While in Australia, did you happen to visit Darwin? I hear its lovely...

ESMDW
Old 25-10-2015, 12:23   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Having an explosive atmosphere in your tank isn't an issue until you introduce a spark *into* the tank.

If you have no leaks downstream between tank and injector I don't see a problem. Its not as if you have an empty but non gas free tank after carrying crude.... that can get ugly

No idea re the bug killing aspect.
What happens to the fumes, safely sitting in your tank, when you refuel?

They become displaced and flow out of your tank mixing with the surrounding air. Twenty gallons into your tank and 20 gallons of fumes exit your tank filler and your vent pipe but mainly out of your filler.

Same with your car which you will notice if you leave a door open.
Old 25-10-2015, 12:28   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
.... They get in the car, distracted, and drive off with the hose in the tank. That does happen.
A few years ago, I saw a lady driving down the road with the hose dragging on the pavement and the nozzle still in the tank. She noticed the hose, pulled off the road and stopped the car.

Later,
Dan
Old 25-10-2015, 12:30   #66

Quote:
I'm guessing the actual risk is inattention. They get in the car, distracted, and drive off with the hose in the tank. That does happen.

I was refuelling a car in Oregon recently and was told it is a regulation that an attendant has do the refilling. I don't know the details but maybe for that sort of reason and cell phones?
Old 25-10-2015, 12:37   #67

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
On a larger scale I've seen that puff destroy 1/4" steel tanks.

You just aren't listening to a century of refinery and regulatory history. I'm sure you are very smart, but you are beating a dead horse.

Yes, I have sailed outside the Bay (just didn't write a book about those trips). I too have retired from engineering (Chem E, retired 54) and could talk about that or other achievements and expereinces. The thing of it is this; many of the people on this board are brilliant and amazing, and bragging--by any one--is embarrassing.
I believe they are called blow hards?
Old 25-10-2015, 13:34   #68

I thought I would add this. I stated we added a cup of gas to 5000 gal of diesel to kill the bugs. What I did not say is this fuel was used in a forge shop. It was in trucks with tanks that had only a pipe cap lightly on the tank. These trucks operated around the forge furnaces running at 2300 deg F while carrying steel at about 2100 deg F. We had tires burn off the trucks but never a fire with the fuel unless the truck first burned due to being stuck in the furnace. Then it just burned like diesel does and did not explode.
Bob
Old 25-10-2015, 14:45   #69
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I bet you skipped the nitro in that experiment!
Old 25-10-2015, 14:46   #70

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagio View Post
I thought I would add this. I stated we added a cup of gas to 5000 gal of diesel to kill the bugs. What I did not say is this fuel was used in a forge shop. It was in trucks with tanks that had only a pipe cap lightly on the tank. These trucks operated around the forge furnaces running at 2300 deg F while carrying steel at about 2100 deg F. We had tires burn off the trucks but never a fire with the fuel unless the truck first burned due to being stuck in the furnace. Then it just burned like diesel does and did not explode.
Bob
A cup in 5000gal. is different than 10 gal. in 200. I'd guess, if it was that easy it would be done at the refinery? One of the things was trying to light it, dah not vapors in an open cup. I'll bet you could put out a cigarette in a open top bucket of gas. Just my dumb ass opinion.
Old 25-10-2015, 15:19   #71

It would be irresponsible to have a discussion about adding gasoline to a system designed for diesel, without discussing the unintended consequences.

While in Australia, did you happen to visit Darwin? I hear its lovely...

ESMDW[/QUOTE]

Completely off topic and not addressed to me; sorry. I visited Darwin a couple of years ago. Kakadu National Park some distance south is well worth a visit. Plenty of big crocodiles to see if you go to the right places. Southern winter is the best season.
Old 25-10-2015, 16:04   #72

Quote:

I thought we were considering the explosive potential of vapours from fuel mixes.
They need a source of ignition. That could be a cell phone or a camera. Ask any expert. I'm not an expert but I have heard this directly from experts.
Old 25-10-2015, 16:28   #73

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I am assuming the visiting Darwin comment implied missing out on a Darwin Award.

The Sailors Confessional section is the best place for this topic. Confess an action out of the norm and wait for the villagers, tar and feathers.

I try to keep my diesel tank topped off and don't use additives. Occasionally put used oil in tank if no recycle drum available. Never would consider gasoline. 130 gallon tank btw.

I'm guessing you wanted to retract Bay Sailor comment as soon as you typed it. Rum and coke moment, huh?

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 25-10-2015, 16:48   #74
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I am assuming the visiting Darwin comment implied missing out on a Darwin Award.

The Sailors Confessional section is the best place for this topic. Confess an action out of the norm and wait for the villagers, tar and feathers.

I try to keep my diesel tank topped off and don't use additives. Occasionally put used oil in tank if no recycle drum available. Never would consider gasoline. 130 gallon tank btw.

I'm guessing you wanted to retract Bay Sailor comment as soon as you typed it. Rum and coke moment, huh?
No argument with me but I'm standing by to hear outrage from the CF enviro police and the fuel filter police
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 16:56   #75

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
What happens to the fumes, safely sitting in your tank, when you refuel?

They become displaced and flow out of your tank mixing with the surrounding air. Twenty gallons into your tank and 20 gallons of fumes exit your tank filler and your vent pipe but mainly out of your filler.

Same with your car which you will notice if you leave a door open.
In my boat that would possibly be an issue as the diesel fill is on the cockpit sole...
On many boats with deck fills i doubt it would be a problem...talking small percentage of 'petrol' in the diesel.

In the mid 80's the end of the fueling jetty at Williamstown, Vic was destroyed together with the refueling powerboat when someone pressed the flush button in the head while fueling.

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: