Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 10:10   #61
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
Uhhhh or ugggh sulphur is reduced because its a pollutant. Not cause of legislated idiots. We small consumers are happy to add something to keep the engine happy. Same way we took lead out of gas. Great idea and we make engines that deal with it. Course there is some downer ready. To say we can't change. But we do and it's better
__________________

__________________
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 11:15   #62
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,383
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Maybe it's just Florida, but I doubt it -- but where I am, it is ILLEGAL to buy diesel at a gas station and put it in a boat. That's why they're two different colors. That's how you can be busted.
I think you have that backwards. It's illegal to buy marine diesel (that does not pay road taxes) and put it into a car. Since road diesel is tax paid there's no issue with putting that in your boat. In fact the state probably appreciates the extra revenue.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 11:28   #63
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

It's the marina managers that don't want you filling up from jerry cans. They worry about spills and if they own the local fuel dock they loose money as well.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 12:01   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 1,904
Images: 1
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

when i did that 4 letter word that starts with a W (work) i ran a couple of trucking companies and worked for sunoco gasoline -- diesel is diesel - the difference is the road tax. Truckers can not use dyed diesel in their tractors but they can use it in the reefer units - if we caught a driver using dyed diesel in their tractor we fired them on the spot - way to much hassel from the feds if caught and they do check -

with my background when i got to a marina for diesel and it was red and the price was more than the highway i complained with little success - the marinas are keeping the tax for themselves -- a profit stream with no work

just my thoughts and opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
__________________
chuckr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 14:19   #65
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,055
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

del, NYC is onlyone of many places that just doesn't want civilians using jerry cans for gasoline, because of fire dangers at fueling stations. They want an FDNY approved container, which mainly means a red can instead of an old soda bottle. Most gas stations in NYC don't give a damn, just keep the can in your trunk out of sight and be discreet about it. At a marina float...a little harder to be unseen.<G> But there aren't very many marinas in NYC with fuel docks. Between fire and environmental concerns (leaks from floating tanks) they'd rather just not sell to small craft.

zeehag, when you say the sulphur is there to lubricate "gaskets", I think you mean the engine cylinder RINGS and VALVES. Diesel uses sulphur, gasoline used lead, both pretty much for the same purpose of lubricating metal-on-metal contacts. Not gaskets.

And at least in the US, modern diesel contains way less sulphur than it used to. There's been a lot of concern expressed about how older engines will tolerate this, the same way that old car engines needed to compensate for unleaded gasoline. I have no idea what they pump in Mexico.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 17:54   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

mexico has a petroleum company named PEMEX.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 18:10   #67
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Sorry, more thread drift:
One of the side effects when they lowered the sulfur content of diesel is that some fuel lines and fuel seals started to deteriorate. Perhaps one of the reasons we are seeing more fuel leaks from the HP and lift pumps than we used to.
__________________
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 18:23   #68
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Assuming you're in Tampa Bay area, can you provide a pointer to this law? It sounds very strange to me.

In fact, the way I read the law, in Florida you can file for a refund for the road tax paid on gas station diesel that you put in your boat.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2012/dr309639.pdf

I had it backwards, I checked at the marina. It is illegal to use diesel fuel in road vehicles. For some reason in Florida, marine diesel and road diesel are taxed at different rates and in different ways. The fuel tax for the road does not go into the same fund as sales tax. Truck drivers apparently routinely file for refunds every three months. It all seems very convoluted to me. At the marina they told me it's OK to have the clear road marina in your boat, but not the pink marine diesel in your commercial truck.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 18:26   #69
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
The facts are, the red fuel being sold at the marrina's does not have the road tax's being applied. That is why it is red. It is the same fuel that farmers us in there tractors, and construction workers use in there diesel equipment that doesn't travel on roads. If you buy dyed fuel and use it in a vehicle that travels on roads, and you get pulled over, they can take a sample of the fuel and bust you for using it. On a boat, if you use road fuel, meaning un dyed fuel, they have no way of telling because the residal dyed fuel will color the undyed fuel. Some marina's have rules that restrict use of jeary can fuel, to prevent its use and will give reasons like potental fuel spills and so forth but bottom line is they want you to buy there fuel. The untaxed dyed fuel is cheaper than road fuel because it dosn't have the taxes applied. Marrina's make more money per gallon selling it, but they also have more expence per gallon, dealing with EPA, and they typically don't sell as much as say a fueling station, so they need to make more per gallon to cover there costs.

That's exactly it. I had it just backwards.

But at least some marinas ban using jerry cans because they are concerned about spills. For instance, the marina a currently live at has that rule, but they do not sell fuel.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 18:28   #70
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think you have that backwards. It's illegal to buy marine diesel (that does not pay road taxes) and put it into a car. Since road diesel is tax paid there's no issue with putting that in your boat. In fact the state probably appreciates the extra revenue.

i did have it backwards.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 20:06   #71
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Ahh It must be great to be young, and not remember when there was Diesel in serveral grades, No 1 ( kerosene, stove oil) no2 red diesel with sulfer, No 3 came in many colors red yellow and clear, and No 4 or Dark diesel, which was used in most commercial fishing boats, and some cruisers with older diesel engines, it had more lube oil in the diesel and more sulfer, but was way cheaper !! and we NEVER paid road tax and the price was lower if ya bought more !! if ya bought less then 100 gals, ya paid full price, over 100 to 200 or 250 gals, 10%less and so on with more gals the price went down !! AHHH Things sure changed in 20 30 years !! I chringed at the price I was givein in Texas to put about 500 gals in our new to us ketch!! I will make the trip on the 300 + gals thats aboard ( what the heck I just had it cleaned anyway) No discount to larger gallonage! O well things change and seldom for better !! O and I almost forgot there was Bunker fuel to !!LOL
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 20:12   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Uhhhh or ugggh sulphur is reduced because its a pollutant. Not cause of legislated idiots. We small consumers are happy to add something to keep the engine happy. Same way we took lead out of gas. Great idea and we make engines that deal with it. Course there is some downer ready. To say we can't change. But we do and it's better
Only by removing the sulphur is the next generation of clean diesels possible. The sulphur would poison the emissions control system (the catalytic converters etc.)

As I'm on my third week with a new VW Passat TDI this is of particular interest to me. So far, 35mpg around town and 50 highway - and it drives WAY better than any hybrid.
__________________
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 07:59   #73
Registered User
 
Passage50's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch
Posts: 52
Re: gas station diesel vs marine diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
So what you are telling me, is, there is no differance between marine diesel and over the road diesel except the color? If that is true I am very excited to here it.

May I ad this,
Stove Fuel is also just regular Diesel but a dye colour aded so the Tax Man can houl you into court if you burn it in anything using a public road.

As allways is just about the Money.
__________________
Never hire someone to do something you can do yourself better.
Passage50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 14:06   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Anacortes
Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30
Posts: 65
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I had it backwards, I checked at the marina. It is illegal to use diesel fuel in road vehicles. For some reason in Florida, marine diesel and road diesel are taxed at different rates and in different ways. The fuel tax for the road does not go into the same fund as sales tax. Truck drivers apparently routinely file for refunds every three months. It all seems very convoluted to me. At the marina they told me it's OK to have the clear road marina in your boat, but not the pink marine diesel in your commercial truck.

and as the red dye goes, it does stain the inside of your tanks and engine parts. that dye is a very concentrated powder form. we use 4-10 teaspoons full in 1800 gals to dye it. if we picked up clear, non dyed, road use and need to deliver red dye off road non taxed depending where you live, we would put some in and deliver. this stuff will dye clothing.
__________________
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 18:59   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler
Posts: 873
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

Older diesels, such as the Detroit diesel 3/4/6-53, will run on just about any oil as long as it's filtered. I've known owners who pour their waste oil into the tank when they do an oil change.
__________________

__________________
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, marine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNG / Natural Gas Distributor List way-happy Provisioning: Food & Drink 12 24-07-2015 15:25
Want To Buy: Sig Marine Diesel Heater cburger Classifieds Archive 1 17-10-2011 14:56
Marine Diesel Regulations cburger Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 55 14-10-2011 22:57
Twin Gas vs Single or Twin Diesel Banjohans Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 04-10-2011 11:50
For Sale: 3.5kw Diesel Marine Genset, Kubota Power, Ultra-Compact MoonlightSailor Classifieds Archive 0 18-07-2011 21:28



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.