Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2011, 19:08   #31

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: gas station diesel vs marine diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
For what it's worth, I get my gasoline this way and for this reason to run in my other, Atomic 4 powered boat. Sequential two-gallon jerry cans of fresh gas are better than a full tank taken on mid-season that's been in the buried tank for three months, I find. Since I started this, I haven't had to break down a carb to clean it.

Your mileage, no pun intended, may vary.
we had huge problems with our 20hp Tohasu on the RIB dinghy. You had to run with the choke out or you had to rev the engine continually (and I mean every 1/2 second) to keep it going. Getting up on plane was difficult to do if at all.

I had bought the gas at a nearby marina in the spring. The gas probably sat there all winter.

Then I actually ran out of gas, had to tilt the gas tank to get the last 200 feet to our boat. I took the 3.8 gallon gas can to the most popular gas stationin town and filled it up.

After that, the engine ran like it was BRAND NEW. It was amazing. I was ready to send the outboard to a mechanic. It was very frustrating.

Quality gas means everything to a small engine.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 21:18   #32

I plan on going to the gas station to cause its waaaaay cheaper then the fuel dock. I could be wroung but I think the fuel docks have a higher tax on the diesel fuel they sell
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 15:15   #33

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

I would check with my engine mechanic before using the "road fuel". Just an opinion!
Sin Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 15:58   #34

Boat: Buccaneer 240

Diesel, even if it doesn't have "Bio" stuff in it, will still grow algae. Hard to believe, but I've seen it happen.

I wouldn't be to picky about where the fuel came from as long as it is fresh. It doesn't matter if it is red or yellow. I've even used Jet A in a diesel generator.

Scott
Old 19-10-2012, 17:28   #35

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Interestingly several states now make it illegal to put red dyed diesel in recreational boats. New York is one of these. Of course I did not buy fuel there on my trip down the east coast this fall. The way the law reads it is illegal to have red dyed diesel in a recreational boat, not just illegal to pump it in the state of New York. While I'm not aware of any enforcement actions regarding this law it might prove an interesting problem to those of us that bought our fuel in states where only red dyed diesel is available at marinas.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 18:17   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You will get the freshest diesel at busy truck stops or busy fuel docks.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 23:23   #37

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Interestingly several states now make it illegal to put red dyed diesel in recreational boats. New York is one of these. Of course I did not buy fuel there on my trip down the east coast this fall. The way the law reads it is illegal to have red dyed diesel in a recreational boat, not just illegal to pump it in the state of New York. While I'm not aware of any enforcement actions regarding this law it might prove an interesting problem to those of us that bought our fuel in states where only red dyed diesel is available at marinas.
I believe it's visa versa. Road diesel is yellow/clear. Road fuel is taxed and marine/farm fuel is not. So then if a trucker is caught with red die in their tank they get busted.

>>> WA State Licensing: Dyed diesel
----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/multitax/m11_6m_11s.pdf

Quote:
Instead, based on the new definitions, the taxation of diesel motor fuel depends on whether it is classified as highway diesel motor fuel or non-highway diesel motor fuel.
• Highway diesel motor fuel is any diesel motor fuel that is not non-highway diesel motor fuel.
• Non-highway diesel motor fuel is any diesel motor fuel designated for use other than on a public highway (except for the use of the public highway by farmers to reach adjacent farmlands), and is dyed diesel motor fuel.
Highway diesel motor fuel is subject to diesel motor fuel excise tax, petroleum business tax, and prepaid sales tax when it is first sold in New York State.
Old 20-10-2012, 02:44   #38

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyfish9906 View Post
I plan on going to the gas station to cause its waaaaay cheaper then the fuel dock. I could be wroung but I think the fuel docks have a higher tax on the diesel fuel they sell
What the fuel docks do is charge the highest price they can get away with. Usually they have one or no competitors which is a big help for them.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 03:26   #39

Captive market = charge what the markt will bear.

Welcome to free enterprise
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 03:53   #40

Boat: Able 50

Oh for sure. That's why I regularly arrive at the marina with a full jerrycan.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 05:55   #41
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganministry View Post
Diesel, even if it doesn't have "Bio" stuff in it, will still grow algae. Hard to believe, but I've seen it happen.

I wouldn't be to picky about where the fuel came from as long as it is fresh. It doesn't matter if it is red or yellow. I've even used Jet A in a diesel generator.

Scott

(Oversimplification warning for nitpickers) Diesel comes from rotted vegetation and animal. We should not be surprised that something has found a way to grow in it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 05:56   #42
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

"
Originally Posted by coyfish9906
What the fuel docks do is charge the highest price they can get away with. Usually they have one or no competitors which is a big help for them. "

Maybe it's just Florida, but I doubt it -- but where I am, it is ILLEGAL to buy diesel at a gas station and put it in a boat. That's why they're two different colors. That's how you can be busted.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 06:11   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
"
Maybe it's just Florida, but I doubt it -- but where I am, it is ILLEGAL to buy diesel at a gas station and put it in a boat. That's why they're two different colors. That's how you can be busted.
Yup, boaters in FL pay a fuel tax. Only commercial fishing is exempt, as I understand. But I believe they must file for a refund, not use undyed fuel.
Old 20-10-2012, 06:13   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

all diesel here is clear. no dye. road or boat dock--i go to fuel dock with jerry jugs and fill my boat for a few pennies less than going to dock--isnt that much difference here. government regulations are not always bad.....keeps pricing lower than usa.
but, to answer the question, yet again, there is no difference in the road and boat fuel except the color. and the tax.

even in fla we used road fuel-- who is gonna come out to an anchored boat to test color of fuel.....rodlmao. usa isnt quite that bad , yet....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 06:14   #45

Boat: PETERSON 44
Huh there is weird information going about. Taxed fuel. The dyed fuel is usually the low tax fuel. Normally where I go road fuel has no dye and is taxed as such. Off road fuel is dyed and avoids the tax. I run road taxed fuel as it is usually less expensive then marina fuel. Makes no sense that you would be fined for using a no dyed fuel.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine